Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, the materials can't be sourced from recycled material because there is not enough recycled material in the supply chain (like there is steel). Over time this will change as we mine enough of those materials and enough old Li-ion batteries wear out and get recycled.

Panasonic battery cells made at the Gigafactory it operates with Tesla will use more recycled materials by the end of 2022 as part of an expanded partnership with startup Redwood Materials.

You mean cannot be sourced from recycled batteries?
AFAIK it is possible to 99% recycle a Li- battery.
I think his point is that there are not enough batteries available to be recycled yet to keep up with expanding demand, whereas there are enough steel cars being recycled that very little "new steel" is required, rather like new lead-acid batteries are mostly made of recycled lead.

I think his point is that there are not enough batteries available to be recycled yet to keep up with expanding demand, whereas there are enough steel cars being recycled that very little "new steel" is required, rather like new lead-acid batteries are mostly made of recycled lead.
Just confirming my guess.

Now I wonder if there is a market to buy used Li batteries, like the tens of millions of power tools and laptops still in peoples closets.

You mean cannot be sourced from recycled batteries?
AFAIK it is possible to 99% recycle a Li- battery.
Yes, the materials can't be sourced from recycled material because there is not enough recycled material in the supply chain (like there is steel). Over time this will change as we mine enough of those materials and enough old Li-ion batteries wear out and get recycled.

On point for using recycled materials for battery production at the Tesla Gigafactory in Sparks, NV.

"Redwood Materials has been best known as a Nevada-based company developing new processes to recycle materials with a focus on electric car batteries, but the company recently announced that it is also getting into cathode and anode production with a 100 GWh battery material factory in the US. Redwood Materials is becoming a full-cycle battery material company. During a presentation at CES, Allan Swan, President of Panasonic North America, announced:
“By the end of this year, we expect to include Redwood’s copper foil, produced from recycled materials, back into our new battery production.” As we previously reported, Redwood Materials recently raised $775 million to accelerate its plans, and it also partnered with Ford to help the company with its battery supply chain."

• Informative
Reactions: MontyFloyd
Using recycled material as much as possible is a good thing, but the demand outstrips supply right now.

No doubt, but I don't really see how that is relevant. The first step is to have enough returning batteries to make a go of a profitable business. Then the fraction of recycled metal used in new packs will slowly increase as the demand/supply reaches equilibrium.

Unless tech has changed the main steel in a car that really needs to be "new" (as in, mostly iron ore refined in a blast furnace and further refined in a liquid steelmaking process) is exposed paintable-surface sheet, and that's always going to be ~ 20% recycled scrap using the basic oxygen furnace process - so, some recycled, but not 100%, despite steel theoretically being one of the most recyclable materials ever conceived by humans

I believe almost everything else can, theoretically, be made from remelted electric furnace steel though I'm not sure to waht extent that is done at scale for non-exposed body stampings, also, some high strength steel grades are all "new" steel in a lot of cases just because the physical properties are hard to achieve with arc furnaces due to the process itself, feedstock, variety of factors

So, yeah, steel is infinitely recyclable, but auto is one of those places where it's hard to get rid of "new" material entirely.

Unless tech has changed the main steel in a car that really needs to be "new" (as in, mostly iron ore refined in a blast furnace and further refined in a liquid steelmaking process) is exposed paintable-surface sheet, and that's always going to be ~ 20% recycled scrap using the basic oxygen furnace process
What's the limitation to higher recycled content in sheet metal?

Exposed automotive (the steel you see with paint on it, which is most of the painted surfaces on 3/Y) has to have certain properties to be drawn/stamped into very complex forms at relatively thin gauges while still accepting a uniform and durable paint finish - all while maintaining the properties you need to make fixings and hold up over time and accept anti-corrosion coatings before paint and all the other fun stuff. It's hard to make, relatively.

Then there's body stampings that maybe the priority is formability and strength ebcause you'll make the shell and then dip the whole thing so it doesn't need to be perfect cosmetically...but if it's HSS maybe an arc furnace can't hit the properties you need. Arc furnaces can make steel with almost all recycled scrap as feed stock (you'll never get to 100% conversion on a mass basis because all the stuff that isn't iron becomes smoke and slag during the process, and you need to add things back in to hit your chemical composition after you melt everything), but if you can't hit the properties, that's that. This is slowly changing as more arc furnaces adopt new refining techniques, but the best way to get a lot of steel is still to make it "new."

as far as the practical limitations on recycled content in "new" steel, the most scrap you can use in a QBOP or BOP process (the processes used to refine liquid iron into liquid steel) is about 30%, and in reality, it's going to be significantly lower than that in daily operations at most US facilities. Scrap is where the recycled content of "new" steel comes from, it's used for additional iron units and also as a coolant in the modified bessemer process (blowing oxygen through a liquid iron bath to react out the impurities) through which all new steel is made. Typically higher-grade products need less scrap just to make it work right. Economics dictate how much scrap you use to a degree, but the price of scrap echoes the price of steel, obviously. So, more expensive scrap = less recycled content.

Also, individual operations may be able to get 90% of te way there to a customer's properties, but if they don't have the downstream processing infrastructure, they can't get alll the way there...things like pre-casting ladle processing, the integrated "new" steel mills (making "new" steel from stuff we dig out of the ground) are just so good at doing this at scale

I'm speaking very generally here, but I did stay at a holiday inn express while part of the ops team running a high volume liquid steel production shop at one time in my life a mllion years ago, so I know a couple of these things I'm saying are true

Here's how "new" steel is made, in volume (obviously there are small-scale operations that are not making rolls of hot band steel that account for other "new" steel sources like cast parts):

The coke (ultra-purified metallurgical coal) feedstock in a blast furnace is eventually pretty much 1 for 1 converted to CO2 during the production of new steel. You mix coke and iron ore and some other stuff in the blast furnace, reduce the oxygen out of the ore, and you get carbon-rich liquid iron, which then goes to the process I described above. So, you're putting carbon in just to take it out again. It's cost efficient at current carbon pricing, but it sounds wild that we still do this if you look at it through a zoomed-in carbon emissions lens and consider our stated climate action priorities, and Tesla's in particular

I can see why Tesla wants to go to cast as much as possible. This also strikes me as one of the reasons Tesla might like a lot of glass and aluminum in its cars one day. Those are both produced through less carbon intense (but still extremely *energy* intense) processes. You can replace a lot of that energy with low carbon alternatives to decarbonize it. But you can't replace coal-derived coke's role in the steel production process, not yet. Maybe you don't have to if you can capture it but we have no clue how to capture CO2 at scale yet other than planting a thousand trees every time we make a car.

anyway, that turned into amini-memo on Tesla's sustainability challenges in body manufacturing, but, thanks for coming to my ted talk, lol

Everybody loves to talk about the drive and the screens but a car is mostly stamped metal and will probably always be. That's where the money is, so to speak, on sustainability IMO (once you stop literally burning carbon to make it go, anyway)

Last edited:
The key word is obviously "at scale"

Lots of things can be done once, or a hundred times, or even thousands. But thousands of thousands of anything, even toothpicks, is a heavy lift to do profitably over long (not geology long, just wall street long - eg 5-10-20-50 year) timeframes. Elon isn't new to the idea but he is certainly seeing clearly that the hard part is building the machine that builds the machine...in this case it's almost an entire industrial ecosystem that needs to be rebuilt

The gigafactory network is going to be part of that ecosystem, but it'll still need inputs

Composites are already making inroads into mainstream manufacturing. Truck beds, internal structural members, exposed body panels (bumper covers and fenders for instance) many are composite on a lot of vehicles sold today, or 10 years ago. There are many, many, many zeroes missing from the gross tonnage necessary to keep even one Fremont running if it becomes the primary structural material.

Corvette's composites are the exposed body panels, it is still mostly metal by mass. But let's assume it's 100% composite. To put corvette in perspective, about 1.75 million corvettes have been produced since 1953. Tesla is projected to sell just about as many cars 2024 than all of the Corvettes ever made. Lots of missing zeros.

So, yeah, a shift to composites for bodies *can* be done (see BMW i3), but can it be done profitably, sustainably? The market says nah for the foreseeable future. Probably the best way to do it is the way Tesla has already chosen - find a way to decarbonize the energy sources for producing your raw materials if you can, and where you can't, oh well, it's worth it to get more cars out the door to displace the gas cars from the roads as quickly as possible

Last edited:
I was thinking of body panels not necessarily structural. Taking into account your post about only 20% recycled content in steel body panels which doesn't sound sustainable in the long run. Even if carbon neutral there will still be large mining operations to get the raw materials. Bio-plastics seem as if they could be less energy intensive and obviously no mining involved.

I was thinking of body panels not necessarily structural. Taking into account your post about only 20% recycled content in steel body panels which doesn't sound sustainable in the long run. Even if carbon neutral there will still be large mining operations to get the raw materials. Bio-plastics seem as if they could be less energy intensive and obviously no mining involved.
RIP Saturn...

Reactions: FlatSix911
Exposed automotive (the steel you see with paint on it, which is most of the painted surfaces on 3/Y) has to have certain properties to be drawn/stamped into very complex forms at relatively thin gauges while still accepting a uniform and durable paint finish - all while maintaining the properties you need to make fixings and hold up over time and accept anti-corrosion coatings before paint and all the other fun stuff. It's hard to make, relatively.

Then there's body stampings that maybe the priority is formability and strength ebcause you'll make the shell and then dip the whole thing so it doesn't need to be perfect cosmetically...but if it's HSS maybe an arc furnace can't hit the properties you need. Arc furnaces can make steel with almost all recycled scrap as feed stock (you'll never get to 100% conversion on a mass basis because all the stuff that isn't iron becomes smoke and slag during the process, and you need to add things back in to hit your chemical composition after you melt everything), but if you can't hit the properties, that's that. This is slowly changing as more arc furnaces adopt new refining techniques, but the best way to get a lot of steel is still to make it "new."

as far as the practical limitations on recycled content in "new" steel, the most scrap you can use in a QBOP or BOP process (the processes used to refine liquid iron into liquid steel) is about 30%, and in reality, it's going to be significantly lower than that in daily operations at most US facilities. Scrap is where the recycled content of "new" steel comes from, it's used for additional iron units and also as a coolant in the modified bessemer process (blowing oxygen through a liquid iron bath to react out the impurities) through which all new steel is made. Typically higher-grade products need less scrap just to make it work right. Economics dictate how much scrap you use to a degree, but the price of scrap echoes the price of steel, obviously. So, more expensive scrap = less recycled content.

Also, individual operations may be able to get 90% of te way there to a customer's properties, but if they don't have the downstream processing infrastructure, they can't get alll the way there...things like pre-casting ladle processing, the integrated "new" steel mills (making "new" steel from stuff we dig out of the ground) are just so good at doing this at scale

I'm speaking very generally here, but I did stay at a holiday inn express while part of the ops team running a high volume liquid steel production shop at one time in my life a mllion years ago, so I know a couple of these things I'm saying are true

Here's how "new" steel is made, in volume (obviously there are small-scale operations that are not making rolls of hot band steel that account for other "new" steel sources like cast parts):

The coke (ultra-purified metallurgical coal) feedstock in a blast furnace is eventually pretty much 1 for 1 converted to CO2 during the production of new steel. You mix coke and iron ore and some other stuff in the blast furnace, reduce the oxygen out of the ore, and you get carbon-rich liquid iron, which then goes to the process I described above. So, you're putting carbon in just to take it out again. It's cost efficient at current carbon pricing, but it sounds wild that we still do this if you look at it through a zoomed-in carbon emissions lens and consider our stated climate action priorities, and Tesla's in particular

I can see why Tesla wants to go to cast as much as possible. This also strikes me as one of the reasons Tesla might like a lot of glass and aluminum in its cars one day. Those are both produced through less carbon intense (but still extremely *energy* intense) processes. You can replace a lot of that energy with low carbon alternatives to decarbonize it. But you can't replace coal-derived coke's role in the steel production process, not yet. Maybe you don't have to if you can capture it but we have no clue how to capture CO2 at scale yet other than planting a thousand trees every time we make a car.

anyway, that turned into amini-memo on Tesla's sustainability challenges in body manufacturing, but, thanks for coming to my ted talk, lol

Everybody loves to talk about the drive and the screens but a car is mostly stamped metal and will probably always be. That's where the money is, so to speak, on sustainability IMO (once you stop literally burning carbon to make it go, anyway)

The Model S and X have very little steel in them. All the sheet metal is aluminum and a lot of the internal parts are to. The Model 3/Y uses a bit more steel, but still quite a bit of aluminum.

Composites are already making inroads into mainstream manufacturing. Truck beds, internal structural members, exposed body panels (bumper covers and fenders for instance) many are composite on a lot of vehicles sold today, or 10 years ago. There are many, many, many zeroes missing from the gross tonnage necessary to keep even one Fremont running if it becomes the primary structural material.

Corvette's composites are the exposed body panels, it is still mostly metal by mass. But let's assume it's 100% composite. To put corvette in perspective, about 1.75 million corvettes have been produced since 1953. Tesla is projected to sell just about as many cars 2024 than all of the Corvettes ever made. Lots of missing zeros.

So, yeah, a shift to composites for bodies *can* be done (see BMW i3), but can it be done profitably, sustainably? The market says nah for the foreseeable future. Probably the best way to do it is the way Tesla has already chosen - find a way to decarbonize the energy sources for producing your raw materials if you can, and where you can't, oh well, it's worth it to get more cars out the door to displace the gas cars from the roads as quickly as possible

Making carbon fiber is energy intensive. BMW sited the plant that makes the fiber for the i3 in Washington State right next to a large hydro-electric dam.

Heavy industry is very energy intensive, pretty much no matter what you do.

The Model S and X have very little steel in them. All the sheet metal is aluminum and a lot of the internal parts are to. The Model 3/Y uses a bit more steel, but still quite a bit of aluminum.

Making carbon fiber is energy intensive. BMW sited the plant that makes the fiber for the i3 in Washington State right next to a large hydro-electric dam.

Heavy industry is very energy intensive, pretty much no matter what you do.
Here's an infographic on the materials used in the production of the original Model S. ;)

1642642318963.png

1642642738145.png

Last edited:
Reactions: X Fan and mspohr