Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone seen any more recent progress updates of the Gigafactory construction? I'm actually amazed we don't have a more constant stream of progress updates from the media etc. due to the scale of the project. I even monitor #Tesla on Instagram and I haven't even seen one picture come out--they must really have the workers on lockdown.

Even though construction is moving fast compared to the general speed of other projects it is still slow in the grand scheme of things... This is something that is going to take YEARS to finish. So getting something every few months is about all you can really hope for. Otherwise this is likely to get as bad as watching paint dry, lol.

Although, I too love to get updates so if someone has something to share it will not go unappreciated. I am just suggesting that I wouldnt hold out hope for steady updates on the subject.

Even though construction is moving fast compared to the general speed of other projects it is still slow in the grand scheme of things... This is something that is going to take YEARS to finish. So getting something every few months is about all you can really hope for. Otherwise this is likely to get as bad as watching paint dry, lol.

Although, I too love to get updates so if someone has something to share it will not go unappreciated. I am just suggesting that I wouldnt hold out hope for steady updates on the subject.

We never got updates when they converted NUMMI to TESLA, either. Sometimes you just don't get what you want. If I lived in Fernley, I might wander over and go hiking the hills near the site. But I don't. Sorry. Maybe if we got a fund up for a wild life photographer to go hiking, that would work. No sarcasm intended, I just don't think it will happen.

Maybe if we got a fund up for a wild life photographer to go hiking, that would work. No sarcasm intended, I just don't think it will happen.

That is actually an awesome idea. Find a half hobbyist/college photography student looking for a weekend gig and have them shoot every few weeks. If we could find the right person they probably wouldn't even want too much. I know it is going to be a long process but I would love to see the first wall go up, etc. and if they will be producing some cells in 2016 that first wall has to be up in a few months I would guess..

A Holiday Pilgrimage

OK people, don't get too excited, because I was not going to climb the hills at almost sunset, and bypass dozens of "Private Property" signs, but I did go today and I did see progress! I tried to talk my way past the gate, and even called someone high up at Tesla from the car to see if I could get in. No dice. But here are photos and they show STEEL IS GOING UP!

All these photos (except the one at the gate) are taken from a mile or so away on the north side from Milan Drive and E Britain Drive looking about due south.

Happy Holidays TMC, from your nutty roving reporter from BC,
V

IMG_4550.jpg
IMG_4554.JPG
IMG_4556.JPG
IMG_4551.jpg

Where is a drone copter when you need one? :)

I did muse about that, but again, I think they would get pretty PO'ed. Looking at the sat images again, and relating them to what I saw, I think there might be a better vantage point around the west or south side of the site. There is another public road that goes to some existing factories/warehouses over there. I tried one of those roads, but not the main one that skirts the whole site (USA Parkway). There may be an overlook that is on "public" roadways, or near one. I guess if you just flew a drone straight up from one of those roads to get altitude, but without overflying the site itself, one might get away with it. I leave that to someone more local than me.

Positive PR from NPR - Nevada's Tesla Battery Factory Triggers Wave Of Follow-Up Business

This is an NPR audio news report mostly quoting from the Tahoe-Reno Industrial Park sharing his excitement for all the work beginning on site. He notes that the demand for large equipment operators is really high. They quote up to $100 billion in economic growth over the next decade or two.

http://www.npr.org/2014/12/29/37372...y-factory-triggers-wave-of-follow-up-business

Last edited: