Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla glass: corners were cut

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found that my drafting behind large trucks to extend my range has caused both my windshield and front facia to get many tiny hits. Why doesn't Tesla make windshields that never pit?

But seriously, I understand Tesla will be introducing new "Gorilla glass" type tough windshields in their new Trucks. Hopefully this technology will trickle down to their other vehicles.

Read similar posts from drivers complained that they never got flat tires in their other cars, but have gotten two nails in their Tesla. Were asking if Tesla was making more flat prone tires as well.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Guys, don’t be so hard on the OP. Last year, there were numerous reports (along with video to back them up) of Model 3 side windows just shattering out of no where.

Variable qualities of glass *is* a real thing. Some glasses will crack and/or shatter with less impact than others.

I had a ‘93 Toyota Celica with a factory windshield that shook off major impacts for years. It finally succumbed to a big rock dropped by a dump truck. The cheap replacement glass then chipped and shattered from pebbles.

It is very possible that Tesla might need to up their game in the glass quality department.

I'd be thrilled to have had your luck over the years. The only vehicles I've yet to crack/chip the front windshield has been our Teslas. Heck, the rear window of my '91 318i completely shattered one winter night just sitting in the driveway.

I'd be thrilled to have had your luck over the years. The only vehicles I've yet to crack/chip the front windshield has been our Teslas. Heck, the rear window of my '91 318i completely shattered one winter night just sitting in the driveway.

me too my windshield is more pitted too for a 4 mo. old car . When I replace I won't go OEM as I typically do.

I hope it's not the angle etc but the glass material

Guys, don’t be so hard on the OP. Last year, there were numerous reports (along with video to back them up) of Model 3 side windows just shattering out of no where.

Variable qualities of glass *is* a real thing. Some glasses will crack and/or shatter with less impact than others.

I had a ‘93 Toyota Celica with a factory windshield that shook off major impacts for years. It finally succumbed to a big rock dropped by a dump truck. The cheap replacement glass then chipped and shattered from pebbles.

It is very possible that Tesla might need to up their game in the glass quality department.

The thread title of:

"Tesla Glass:Corners were cut"

Implies this OP has some proof that that "corners were cut" in the manufacturing of the glass tesla uses, rather than what the thread is actually about, which is a rant about getting windshield chips and speculation.

me too my windshield is more pitted too for a 4 mo. old car . When I replace I won't go OEM as I typically do.

I hope it's not the angle etc but the glass material
I was told there is currently no aftermarket glass available when I had mine replaced.
Avoiding following trucks is a good idea, but often impossible the way traffic is. The one that did my windshield in was while I was in teh carpool lane and had about 10+ cars lengths to the closest car in front of me. It's possible it came from the lane next to me or something too, I have had that happen before.

• Informative
Reactions: Ravire
Stop tailgating people and driving behind trucks. I always make it a habit to put a vehicle between me and any truck or A-Hole vehicles with no mud flaps.

A) Not sure why you’re making that connection. Anyone who gets cracks in their windshield is tailgating?
B) the first time I got a chip, there was literally no one within sight of my car on the freeway.
C) 95% of my use of this car is on the freeway, and I use autopilot 99.9% of the time I’m on the freeway. Autopilot doesn’t tailgate.

I wasn’t tailgating anyone in either instance.

I said in original post, I still recognize this can easily still be total coincidence, but it’s getting suspicious to me, and Tesla’s already poor initial quality control track record (ongoing when I bought the car) doesn’t help assuage that suspicion.

Last edited:
Read similar posts from drivers complained that they never got flat tires in their other cars, but have gotten two nails in their Tesla. Were asking if Tesla was making more flat prone tires as well.

Heavier cars get more nails (or other objects) in tires. And Tesla is much heavier than other cars of the same size. Our Model X got screws (not sure where they came from but there are lots of new constructions around) in tires 3x in 2 years. My Model 3 got 1 in one year.

The thread title of:

"Tesla Glass:Corners were cut"

Implies this OP has some proof that that "corners were cut" in the manufacturing of the glass tesla uses, rather than what the thread is actually about, which is a rant about getting windshield chips and speculation.

Actually one of the things I don't like about the forum. Ridiculous title'd threads are not changed. Like "worst car ever"- paint wasn't perfect, or this title...which is ridiculous. Go to any safelite store or glass replacement place, you'll see instantly that you are wrong. I have a new Ford truck (new to me) and on that car there is evidence that the window design fails to put anything into a slipstream so even little stuff causes chips. I have owned it 2 months, I replaced windshield and purchase (cracked across) and already has a chip that needs to be filled. Anyhow, moderators would do well to remove this hyperbole from titles, it would be fine to simply have: Have others noticed issues with windshield cracks on model (fill in blank)?

Last edited:
Actually one of the things I don't like about the forum. Ridiculous title'd threads are not changed. Like "worst car ever"- paint wasn't perfect, or this title...which is ridiculous. Go to any safelite store or glass replacement place, you'll see instantly that you are wrong. I have a new Ford truck (new to me) and on that car there is evidence that the window design fails to put anything into a slipstream so even little stuff causes chips. I have owned it 2 months, I replaced windshield and purchase (cracked across) and already has a chip that needs to be filled. Anyhow, moderators would do well to remove this hyperbole from titles, it would be fine to simply have: Have others noticed issues with windshield cracks on model (fill in blank)?

I agree with you in principle, but have witnessed moderators here change thread titles to make them more accurately represent the discussion. I just witnessed this today, with a thread that was originally called "sentry mode costing me thousands!", in which the actual issue was that the USB the OP of that thread was recording on did not record an event crucial to that OP.

The thread title was amended by moderators to read "Sentry mode USB drive failure costing me thousands", which more accurately represents what is going on.

The same could be done with this thread by the addition of a question mark at the end of the OPs thread title.

Stop tailgating people and driving behind trucks. I always make it a habit to put a vehicle between me and any truck or A-Hole vehicles with no mud flaps.
Tailgating and big trucks are not the entire issue. Surpassing 8,xxx miles now on my 2020 and it's got tiny pits/chips that I would not usually see on another car for years. (Porsche, vintage Ford, MB) My driving is a mixture of highway and surface streets. Luckily in Florida we get 2 replacements per year with no out-of-pocket expense. With all the tech in Tesla cars it would great to have Gorilla glass at least for windshields.

Alos, I have had chips on side glass as well from debris flying around. After ~2 week of getting the car my roof glass on the driver side got a good size chip in it.

But seriously, I understand Tesla will be introducing new "Gorilla glass" type tough windshields in their new Trucks. Hopefully this technology will trickle down to their other vehicles.
I wish there was some news on the Gorilla glass. This morning got 2 more chips in the center of the windshield - ZERO vehicles in front of me. Rock or something hard smacked it out of nowhere. I don't care what others say - I've owned dozens of vehicles and none of them have suffered chips/damage like the Model 3 in ~11K miles. Even my roof glass suffered a chip at ~1K miles.

The current pitting (not chips/chunks) is similar to the shield on my 2006 W211 Benz that had ~150K miles. At 190K miles when it was sold it finally was pitted enough that would justify replacement.

Ive been driving for ~22 years. I’ve literally never once in my driving lifetime ever received so much as a tiny chip in my windshield.

I’ve had my Tesla for 14 months. Within the first 3 weeks, I got a chip in my windshield that was at least small enough to be filled in by Safelite, albeit obvious and annoying to me. I thought, wow that’s pretty coincidental...but even though I was suspicious, I didn’t go full deep state on Tesla and let it go.

However, 3 days ago, I heard another large CRACK while driving, and sure enough, there’s now a huge crack in the windshield that’s too big to repair and will require full replacement.

22 years without even a small chip vs 14 months and two hits, including one so large I have to replace. Obviously this can still just be a huge coincidence, but I’m becoming more and more convinced that Tesla’s glass is not as durable as the rest of the auto industry’s glass.
GLass on all cars is thinner to save weight - call your insurance company and ask about 0 deductible glass coverage. state farm charges me $11 yr for that and its paid off 100 times over