TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Tesla Glass in Model 3

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by BluestarE3, Nov 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

• Informative x 1
  2. ApauloThirteen

Thanks.

If Musk said incorporating heating elements in the glass wouldn't be energy intensive when used, does that imply that there MIGHT be solar cells capable of generating electricity in the M3 glass? That'd be uhh... v v cool.

Musk:
    Solar glass tiles can also incorporate heating elements, like rear defroster on a car, to clear roof of snow and keep generating energy
    9:15 PM - 28 Oct 2016

@elonmusk won’t it be energy intensive to melt the snow? Would it be net positive?

Musk: @BobaFaux strongly net positive

• Disagree x 1
  3. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

Hopefully windshield replacements will be considered as stone chips in my neck of the woods are annual events for 90% of cars. I don't care personally but I hear a lot of people turning down the Model X because they are afraid of a stone chip on the windshield.

Or perhaps Tesla Glass will be strong enough to resist rocks??

• Like x 1
  4. mhan00

mhan00 Member

A little disappointing since this doesn't sound like it's related to any possible advanced hub. But it sounds interesting.

5. CALGARYARSENAL

My thoughts exactly. I think they realize the average joe Model 3 buyer can't afford to replace a huge piece of glass.......

• Like x 1
  6. Dax279

Dax279 Member

What if they just incorporated this in the glass roof?

7. patrick42h

patrick42h Member

This idea keeps coming up and the areal efficiency, the amount of power generated per unit of area, of modern photovoltaic panels is not nearly high enough to power the smallest of systems on a Tesla, much less charging the main battery pack. We're all much better off with that added weight, complexity, and cost being left off the car and moved to a stationary power source like our houses.

• Like x 8
    • Informative x 1
  8. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

I don't understand what Tesla Glass is. What is it? Is it a solar panel type thing?

All I hope is that it stays panoramic.

9. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

#9 hockeythug, Nov 1, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
    They have their own glass development group now. One of the layers of the roof solar shingle is this Tesla created glass. The glass will be used in some fashion on the Model 3. What makes it special who knows. I assume light/strong with the ability to be manufactured at high yields even in complex curved applications. Maybe advanced UV protection as well.

• Like x 1
  10. Garlan Garner

Oh ok...is that it? Thanks

11. patrick42h

patrick42h Member

I wonder how long it will be until someone starts asking for Tuscan shingles on their Model 3?

• Funny x 10
  12. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Not aerodynamic enough. :)

• Funny x 1
  13. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Isn't the glass roof optional? I recall this was mentioned on video during one of the M3 test drives and obviously they can't make a fully glass roof on $35k car.

If the glass is standard, I hope it is electrochroamatic like it is on the maybach.

14. Dan Detweiler

Dan Detweiler Member

Even with a "solid" roof it can only be the small area roughly between the driver's head and the rear cross member. Still will have a ton of glass.

Dan

• Like x 1
  15. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

That may pose a problem in hot climates, as it did with my model x panoramic windshield

16. Spidy

Spidy Active Member

I fear more for cold areas. Bjørn already said in one of his latest videos that he plans on doing something about the X windshield because he can feel the cold at his head.

• Informative x 1
  17. Jayc

Jayc Member

I imagine EM will want Tesla Glass to be an overall improvement on properties affecting the use of glass in a car.
    So aspects such as:

* Insulation
    * Weight
    * Strength
    * Cost
    * Possibly HUD

• Like x 2
  18. Snowcat

Snowcat Member

Elon might use some of the SpaceX tech for glass (expensive though). The windows in the Crew Dragon and defenitely the huge glass in the Mars capsule (does it have an official name yet?) must have some amazing properties for insulation, strength, radiation protection and light weight. Maybe Tesla and SpaceX can do another round of "cross fertilization" :)

• Like x 1
  19. Garlan Garner

Its Tesla Glass

Tesla Model 3 will feature new type of glass developed in-house, Elon Musk confirms ‘Tesla Glass’ tech group

This glass is unlike any glass on any Tesla to date. That's why I hate it when folks compare the M3 to the MS and vice versa. The M3 is going to be exclusive in many ways - from using steel on the chassis to the Glass on the panoramic roof.

• Like x 1
  20. Trev Page

Trev Page Member

I love how Tesla is doing incredible advances in many aspects for their cars. Truly purpose-built technologies to suit their needs and stand out.

• Like x 6