Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Glass in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks.

If Musk said incorporating heating elements in the glass wouldn't be energy intensive when used, does that imply that there MIGHT be solar cells capable of generating electricity in the M3 glass? That'd be uhh... v v cool.

Musk:
Solar glass tiles can also incorporate heating elements, like rear defroster on a car, to clear roof of snow and keep generating energy
9:15 PM - 28 Oct 2016

@elonmusk won’t it be energy intensive to melt the snow? Would it be net positive?

Musk: @BobaFaux strongly net positive

• Disagree
Reactions: jsmay311
Hopefully windshield replacements will be considered as stone chips in my neck of the woods are annual events for 90% of cars. I don't care personally but I hear a lot of people turning down the Model X because they are afraid of a stone chip on the windshield.

Or perhaps Tesla Glass will be strong enough to resist rocks??

Reactions: Genshi
Hopefully windshield replacements will be considered as stone chips in my neck of the woods are annual events for 90% of cars. I don't care personally but I hear a lot of people turning down the Model X because they are afraid of a stone chip on the windshield.

Or perhaps Tesla Glass will be strong enough to resist rocks??
My thoughts exactly. I think they realize the average joe Model 3 buyer can't afford to replace a huge piece of glass.......

Reactions: Genshi
Thanks.

If Musk said incorporating heating elements in the glass wouldn't be energy intensive when used, does that imply that there MIGHT be solar cells capable of generating electricity in the M3 glass? That'd be uhh... v v cool.

This idea keeps coming up and the areal efficiency, the amount of power generated per unit of area, of modern photovoltaic panels is not nearly high enough to power the smallest of systems on a Tesla, much less charging the main battery pack. We're all much better off with that added weight, complexity, and cost being left off the car and moved to a stationary power source like our houses.

I don't understand what Tesla Glass is. What is it? Is it a solar panel type thing?

All I hope is that it stays panoramic.

They have their own glass development group now. One of the layers of the roof solar shingle is this Tesla created glass. The glass will be used in some fashion on the Model 3. What makes it special who knows. I assume light/strong with the ability to be manufactured at high yields even in complex curved applications. Maybe advanced UV protection as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Red Sage
Isn't the glass roof optional? I recall this was mentioned on video during one of the M3 test drives and obviously they can't make a fully glass roof on $35k car.

If the glass is standard, I hope it is electrochroamatic like it is on the maybach.

Isn't the glass roof optional? I recall this was mentioned on video during one of the M3 test drives and obviously they can't make a fully glass roof on $35k car.

If the glass is standard, I hope it is electrochroamatic like it is on the maybach.
Even with a "solid" roof it can only be the small area roughly between the driver's head and the rear cross member. Still will have a ton of glass.

Dan

Elon might use some of the SpaceX tech for glass (expensive though). The windows in the Crew Dragon and defenitely the huge glass in the Mars capsule (does it have an official name yet?) must have some amazing properties for insulation, strength, radiation protection and light weight. Maybe Tesla and SpaceX can do another round of "cross fertilization" :)

Its Tesla Glass

Tesla Model 3 will feature new type of glass developed in-house, Elon Musk confirms ‘Tesla Glass’ tech group

This glass is unlike any glass on any Tesla to date. That's why I hate it when folks compare the M3 to the MS and vice versa. The M3 is going to be exclusive in many ways - from using steel on the chassis to the Glass on the panoramic roof.