Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Glass Roof Shade Installed (Model 3)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know of a Model 3 solid shield for the sunroof? Looking for one that blocks the sun completely.

Some folks put Thinsulate above the sunshade for more noise dampening effect. That should block everything.
You might find a better material that will reflect more heat than Thinsulate.
But the Thinsulate is real light and the sunshade can't support much.

I also have the rear sunshade from Tesla and a removable foldable windshield one coming today (3rd party).

I have no tinting beyond factory.

Has anyone bought and installed the rear sunshade in addition to the front? I am considering buying the front one (partially because of darkening the inside of the car to reduce glare) but wondering if installing the rear one too would overall help keep it cooler inside so my Cabin Overheat Protection has an easier time of it.

Last edited:
Has anyone bought and installed the rear sunshade in addition to the front? I am considering buying the front one (partially because of darkening the inside of the car to reduce glare) but wondering if installing the rear one too would overall help keep it cooler inside so my Cabin Overheat Protection has an easier time of it.

I have the rear shade but don't really like it. I'm sure it would help to keep the car cooler, but it sags and has some wrinkles in it and under certain lighting it limits rear visibility. I may install the front for hot summer weather and road trips, but don't really like it either, although the fit is much better than the rear.

Reactions: SMAlset
We have the front one installed in our MS's pano area and feel it does cut down the glare a lot but never considered one for the rear liftgate. We removed our parcel shelf and kind of felt that it might be healthier for our car to have some visibility back there to prevent another expensive broken window. The rear glass is a longer area on both cars to cover so can see some sagging being a possibility. Doesn't the rear camera however kind of take care of any necessary rear visibility issues though?

We have the front one installed in our MS's pano area and feel it does cut down the glare a lot but never considered one for the rear liftgate. We removed our parcel shelf and kind of felt that it might be healthier for our car to have some visibility back there to prevent another expensive broken window. The rear glass is a longer area on both cars to cover so can see some sagging being a possibility. Doesn't the rear camera however kind of take care of any necessary rear visibility issues though?

Put it this way, good luck picking out a cop from the cars behind you with the sunshade in place. Not really safe to be looking at the rear camera while driving in my opinion. Rear visibility is not a strong point of the model 3 to begin with and the shade makes it worse.

• Informative
Reactions: jdmd
I would be interested in a rear shade that only covered part of the glass, leaving the rear view open. My iphone sound app couldn't pick out a difference with shades on or off, but subjectively it seemed the frequencies may be slightly different with fewer sound reflections.

The front shade gives a bit of a strange visual effect which I don't particularly care for. Here is a picture of what I'm talking about:

hhuVQJ%lQZmfVbDjBf4Lkg.jpg

Reactions: GuyFromGPT
I have the rear shade but don't really like it. I'm sure it would help to keep the car cooler, but it sags and has some wrinkles in it and under certain lighting it limits rear visibility.
Agreed, I was disappointed with the rear shade for the same reasons. Tesla should have made it smaller, i.e. cover only the tinted part of the rear glass. This way it wouldn't impact rear visibility and probably wouldn't sag as much.
I may install the front for hot summer weather and road trips, but don't really like it either, although the fit is much better than the rear.
I really like the front one. Fits well, and really reduces glare and heat on the top of my head and forehead. I removed it during the gloomy season, but put it back in the other day since we are starting to get more sun in the Bay Area.

I would be interested in a rear shade that only covered part of the glass, leaving the rear view open. My iphone sound app couldn't pick out a difference with shades on or off, but subjectively it seemed the frequencies may be slightly different with fewer sound reflections.

The front shade gives a bit of a strange visual effect which I don't particularly care for. Here is a picture of what I'm talking about:

Reminds me of the shade in my mother's Buick Enclave...

I'm still buying one. :)

So, anyone from a hot climate have any suggestions?
(When I go "back home" its to a place which can hit 120, but is usually more like 115, or so)

I'm not sure if I need the shades, or if the car can keep itself cool, provided I leave the preconditioning on.

So, anyone from a hot climate have any suggestions?
(When I go "back home" its to a place which can hit 120, but is usually more like 115, or so)

I'm not sure if I need the shades, or if the car can keep itself cool, provided I leave the preconditioning on.
I don't think the shade will reduce the interior temperature by much if any (after all, it doesn't prevent the energy from getting into the car). What it does quite effectively is reduce glare when the sun is at certain angles, and prevent radiant heat from the roof when the glass gets hot, i.e. if you sometimes feel an unpleasant heat on the top of your head or forehead you'll probably find it useful.

• Informative
Reactions: mswlogo
OK, so I need something more like, well exactly like, the radiant barrier put under a metal roof, but I think that would trap a very large amount of heat against the glass...
If it's only the interior temperature that you are concerned about, I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's not worse than in any other car in my experience. I usually use the overheat protection in "fan only" mode to prevent the worst heat buildup when I park outside on hot days, and you can also conveniently turn on the A/C remotely before returning to the car.

If it's only the interior temperature that you are concerned about, I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's not worse than in any other car in my experience. I usually use the overheat protection in "fan only" mode to prevent the worst heat buildup when I park outside on hot days, and you can also conveniently turn on the A/C remotely before returning to the car.

Does it exhaust the heat with fan only or does it make it a great convection oven and just cook everything evenly?

• Funny
Reactions: Skione65