Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Glass Tile Solar Roof Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

joefee

May 29, 2011
WA
I started the Model S Delivery Update thread to help gain insight into the delivery process. That thread now has over 2 million page views! It really helped pass the time and provided some great insights since most of the delivery posts were focused in one thread. Let's again try to keep the focus on actual solar roof implementation details vs opinions, speculation and predictions. There may not be much to report now but please check back when you do have something to report.

In August 2016 I had 9.8kW of solar panels installed on my roof and a Powerwall (V1). To date (from late Aug 2016 to early May 2017) I have produced 8.31mWh while consuming 9.13mWh. Since that time period does not include the peak summer production months, it is obvious that I am going to produce significantly more than I will consume over a 12 month period, which is what I anticipated. I planned for some surplus generation to account for possible future increases in electrical usage (considering changing to a heat pump at some point).

So I am very happy with my solar system, and the Powerwall is working well, charging at night during off peak rate time and sometimes during the day during peak solar, while discharging during peak rate time during the day if needed. More info at My new solar and Powerwall installation

Let's again try to keep the focus on actual solar roof implementation details
When you say "solar roof" are you referring to the Tesla Energy solar cell tiles as shown on this page? Tesla Solar

I suspect so. You did not capitalize "solar roof" which made it read as a generic phrase and not a product name. In which case this thread has already gotten off to a false start. And I have contributed to that. ;)

I am also very interested in hearing about the first Tesla Energy "Solar Roof" tile installations. But I don't think that product has started shipping yet.

Reactions: boaterva
What's break even? Time/$ wise
10 years initially. My cost before rebate was $4.25/Watt and I am in an all electric home. I replaced the water heater with a heat pump water heater. I hve always been a net consumer but because I do significant load shifting I have had a credit until I bought the Model X. In 2016 I saw my fixed charges go up and I finished the true up with $30 owing. I figured my 2016 cost of energy was at a rate of $0.05/kWhr.

Yes, I was referring to the glass tiles made by Tesla not any other. I'm sure there will be multiple threads but my point is to focus on one. I'm hoping this one has an emphasis on factual implementation details!

When you say "solar roof" are you referring to the Tesla Energy solar cell tiles as shown on this page? Tesla Solar

I suspect so. You did not capitalize "solar roof" which made it read as a generic phrase and not a product name. In which case this thread has already gotten off to a false start. And I have contributed to that. ;)

I am also very interested in hearing about the first Tesla Energy "Solar Roof" tile installations. But I don't think that product has started shipping yet.
Sorry for the formatting faux pas. I'm sure will go into a ditch many times as we move along!

You can report your own post and ask for the title to be changed... How about Tesla Solar Roof Updates.....

I'd love to have some facts on this, since all I can find out is 'they are coming in a month or so...'. Love pricing info to know if I should wait for them or not. ;)

I've got a "2.5 play": 2 Teslas, Powerwall V1, 34 solar panels. Will never have your definition of a "triple play" with my house, since the roof type isn't suitable for any kind of tile, solar or otherwise.
I'm sure you have answered it 100 times but what was your time break even. Do you think tech has come up or cost down considerably since pulling the trigger.

My calculations have that at 2:00 PM ET. Should be interesting to see what this costs, after all the speculation, and what packages they might have. Because a roof by itself (just solar panel equivalents) can't do much, right? Wonder if there will be a PW2 package?

In August 2016 I had 9.8kW of solar panels installed on my roof and a Powerwall (V1). To date (from late Aug 2016 to early May 2017) I have produced 8.31mWh while consuming 9.13mWh. Since that time period does not include the peak summer production months, it is obvious that I am going to produce significantly more than I will consume over a 12 month period, which is what I anticipated. I planned for some surplus generation to account for possible future increases in electrical usage (considering changing to a heat pump at some point).

So I am very happy with my solar system, and the Powerwall is working well, charging at night during off peak rate time and sometimes during the day during peak solar, while discharging during peak rate time during the day if needed. More info at My new solar and Powerwall installation

How do you consume and produce so little? ;)

• Funny
Reactions: GSP and boaterva