Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Glass Tile Solar Roof Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here in PA, will this ever be financially beneficial?
Total bill on my electric is $0.113 kWh... and with natural gas, I don't see that going up anytime soon.

And plugging in 2 Teslas (soon, right)? at night means mostly eating from PP&L... so... can I save money or.. no?

The cool factor is great, but show me the green (cash).

Probably not anytime soon. I pay a similar price in IL. Insanely cheap natural gas for a majority of the country makes the costs difficult to rationalize financially.

Actually seems reasonable for me in MA. We had gotten quotes for a new roof ($12k to $18k, approx 1050 sq ft) and solar panels (net after credits $9k to $14k for ~4.5kW) previously. I had budgeted $25k for both projects based on the quotes. Teslaroof is quoting me net after credits at $23k for 70% solar tiles coverage. I'm guessing that kW amount is less than the standalone quotes, but obviously can't tell based on the website. Still, it seems reasonable. And considering the high cost of power here in MA (>$0.22/kWh), pays back quickly.

I'm perplexed by the wiring. These tiles must sit on a grid which lays on the roof deck.
By grid, I assume you mean horizontal battens?. The flat shingles appear meant to be nailed directly to the roof deck, just like ordinary shingles or slate, secured by the two nail holes at the top margin. The two Tuscan variants might be mounted on battens or might not.

In the case of the flat tiles directly on roof deck, there would have to be a couple of roof penetrations in each corse of tiles for wiring to get into the attic; a real problem for that subset of roofs without attics. It is also possible that there would be battens at both top and bottom edge of the tiles, leaving a 3/4" space for wire to be run. That would present a problem for ice & water shield, felt underlayment and flashing.

To be fair, and maybe this is subjective, but you're paying for appearance. I think putting solar panels on a brand new slate roof to be considerably less attractive. YMMV.

I can understand that argument and in a lot of cases it's probably quite valid. However, in my case, our south facing roof section is at the back of the house with nothing behind it. We nor anyone else would ever see the panels unless they purposefully went back there to check on the roof.

• Helpful
Reactions: JohnSnowNW
Depends on what he means by "a few". If by a few he means 5, that would provide better than an a 100A service. Which would run a normal house just fine. But that all depends on how the usage and if they use natural gas for heating, etc.

He would still need a generator if he dropped utility service. No one who actually lives off grid would give up an available utility connection for a generator.

Not if you want to live in a normal functioning house.
I sized my needs, based on my location and expected efficiency. In the sub-tropical setting I have I do not need much storage reserve. I have done two other off-grid projects in similar climates so I am familiar with sizing needs. Lots of sun, no air conditioning, and passive solar hot water save tons of electricity. Clearly, this will not easily work supporting A/C. There are solutions for that, OT for this thread.

That is one reason I think these will be ideal complements for high end environmentally planned housing developments. It will help if they're in high energy cost sunny places.

Where can I find the kW capacity of the Solar Roof calculated from my inputs?

$88,600 Value of energy

-$53,000 Cost of roof

-$12,500 Cost of 2 Powerwall batteries

+$17,300 Tax credit

1,791 Roof square footage

$200 Monthly electric bill

2 Powerwall batteries

$40,400 Net earned over 30 years​

... so I can compare the Solar Roof to the 6.3kW (19 x 330W Panasonic panels) and 6.1kW (19 x 320W LG panels) conventional solar system estimates I received.

Reactions: googlepeakoil
I am more curious about the insurance costs on this. Living in Nebraska having a your roof redone every 7 years or so is a huge portion of your insurance bill. If I could save $400-$500 per year and 4 or 5 deductibles saved over 30 years I would be closer to this being possible. On top of that I would need a good hail storm to hit to have insurance pay for the first $6,000 of the estimated $50k cost.

Downside is that the power company has tripled the hookup fee over the last three years and plans keep increasing it and lowering the kWh rate. That is their way to combat solar.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and MP3Mike
How do you consume and produce so little? ;)
Probably too pricey to make financial sense compared to a traditional roof and panels, IMO, especially since residential solar installs in SoCal can be $2.50/W. But I reserved one anyway lol.

Precisely my thinking. Being a solar customer myself, I say you folks should look at the efficiency per square meter as compared to traditional panels. From my perspective it sucks. I rather stick with my typical looking black panels (which match my roof tile), than to pay much more for something just because it looks like a normal roof. You are really paying for the appearance with no so good wattage per square meter.

I would love to see that too. You would have to back into it from the value of energy number. But to do that you would have to find the value Tesla is using for the kWh cost for your area as well as to figure the sun exposure you would get. (Which you might be able to get from the Google’s Sunroof project site, since Tesla is supposed to be using that.)

They should just release a kW/sqft number so that we could figure things out the easy way.

Reactions: FlyF4 and BrokerDon
I wonder how easy it is to clean off the solar shingles three times per year. We have a conventional 21-panel solar array, and the panel cleaning takes about 15 minutes clamoring on the roof, walking on the composition shingles.

At least here in the Central Valley, the panels get a thin coating of dust and dirt two weeks after each cleaning, and gets progressive worse, particularly during harvest in August through November.

1,791 Roof square footage

I estimate that you get 2.8 W per sqft. of solar portion of the roof.

I didn't see you say what portion of the roof was active. Using my estimate you would need 2,214 sqft of solar roofing to get a 6.2kW output. (To put it in the middle of your two estimates.)

The solar part, though, only comes with a 30 year warranty.

I think it is still a lifetime warranty on the solar portion of the tiles as roofing material, the 30-year part of the warranty is the energy generation portion.

So you would never have to replace your roof again, unless you wanted to keep the energy production at decent levels.