Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla goes over cliff-pacific-coast-highway-California-miracle survivors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Read a story today that they were a two-Tesla home. I still feel for the authorities to come to that conjecture they also spoke to the wife in the hospital. Everyone was conscious after all and wouldn’t you think they’d ask her what happened, maybe tactfully even asked the kids what they remember liking parents fighting in car or such. If he intended to kill all of them and it wasn’t some accident or medical event on his part, I have no doubt the mom of two would tell them honestly what happened. From what neighbors interviewed said they seemed happy and were well liked. Sure we’ll learn more once he’s arrested and the charges get filed. Just so hard to imagine taking out everyone but from the news we know it happens. Nice looking family and just so sad that’s what police think happened.

Read a story today that they were a two-Tesla home. I still feel for the authorities to come to that conjecture they also spoke to the wife in the hospital. Everyone was conscious after all and wouldn’t you think they’d ask her what happened, maybe tactfully even asked the kids what they remember liking parents fighting in car or such. If he intended to kill all of them and it wasn’t some accident or medical event on his part, I have no doubt the mom of two would tell them honestly what happened. From what neighbors interviewed said they seemed happy and were well liked. Sure we’ll learn more once he’s arrested and the charges get filed. Just so hard to imagine taking out everyone but from the news we know it happens. Nice looking family and just so sad that’s what police think happened.
Yep a happy and sad story all at the same time. Happy that they all survived, but sad that it seems to be under dark circumstances.

Reactions: SmokyPeat
The UK rag, the DailyMail says "witnesses" saw the car make a U-turn before going over the side. I think the graphic is poor, since they have "3" where there's a guardrail The car went off at least 50ft south of that spot. And, from other reports, the U-Turn most likely happened in the obvious parking lot, not where "2" is marked.

I guess we shouldn't expect anything but sloppy journalism from a rag like the DM, but this is the first time I've seen anything saying the car was going northbound. Seems odd, since the family was going home from the holidays from SF back to Pasadena. Should have been southbound.

Especially odd, since the CAL FIRE Incident Commander, already said on video that the vehicle was traveling southbound.
1672976776223.png

The UK rag, the DailyMail says "witnesses" saw the car make a U-turn before going over the side. I think the graphic is poor, since they have "3" where there's a guardrail The car went off at least 50ft south of that spot. And, from other reports, the U-Turn most likely happened in the obvious parking lot, not where "2" is marked.

I guess we shouldn't expect anything but sloppy journalism from a rag like the DM, but this is the first time I've seen anything saying the car was going northbound. Seems odd, since the family was going home from the holidays from SF back to Pasadena. Should have been southbound.

Especially odd, since the CAL FIRE Incident Commander, already said on video that the vehicle was traveling southbound.
View attachment 892873
Yeah certainly location of the number 3 is incorrect; there's a guard rail at 3. The only place it makes sense for him to have left the road is at that dirt path, halfway between the 1 and 2 numbers, where there isn't a guard rail, the same as you posted earlier.

If the u-turn bit of the story is correct, I wonder if he was driving northbound searching for a good place to drive off the cliff, saw the dirt path on the left, did a uturn, drove back to the dirt path and then went off the road. I even have to wonder if he had picked that place ahead of time, it seems like one of the higher/steeper cliffs on HWY-1 that doesn't have a guard rail. We'll have to wait for more details from the investigation.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Here is the Performance Model Y that was driven off a cliff, plunging 250 feet. The driver has been charged; all of the passengers survived.

No battery fire (yet).
PPF would not have helped
Visible curb rash (was probably there before the crash).

Always wear your seat belt and drive safely.

No matter how good that ultra high strength steel, I'm glad the Y landed on its wheels and not its roof. That was one hell of a ride.

On NBCnews, an accident reconstruction expert, a prof at Cal State-Sacramento, says he doesn't believe the car flipped. His computer simulations show "it couldn't have". He says the car's heavy battery kept the car tires down, not tilted forward as a typical ICE.

Last edited:
No, I think most people are just generally not sympathetic to men who try to kill their wives and children.
I agree 100%. But, this is America, where you're innocent until proven guilty, so will reserve judgement until a verdict has been rendered. Not that my judgement will matter one ounce. In any case, that goodness for their survival, whether intentional mischief or not.