Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla goes over cliff-pacific-coast-highway-California-miracle survivors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few minutes ago this story was covered on KTVU (Channel 2 - Oakland). An update said that the driver will be arrested on charges of attempted murder. Apparently he purposely drove over the cliff. So far, the online story does not have this info.

edit:
Devil’s Slide Tesla crash was intentional, driver arrested for attempted murder: CHP

A few minutes ago this story was covered on KTVU (Channel 2 - Oakland). An update said that the driver will be arrested on charges of attempted murder. Apparently he purposely drove over the cliff. So far, the online story does not have this info.

edit:
Devil’s Slide Tesla crash was intentional, driver arrested for attempted murder: CHP
When attempting murder by driving off a cliff, don't do it in a Tesla?

edit:
Well, that does seem possible, given that the reports were the car was going south. It's a hard right turn to pass the guardrail and go over the cliff. Would most likely require some intent.

Going south, passing the guardrail, you'd have to follow the blue line to then go off the cliff and land where the Tesla did. FSD or AP are not going to slow and make that sharp turn. Would have been far easier to call it driver error if the car had been going north, and followed the trajectory of the red arrow.
by default 2023-01-03 at 2.26.35 PM.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: cleverscreenam
I have no idea whether this was intentional or not, but I do know that it doesn't have to be in Autopilot or FSD to have been initiated by the vehicle.

I have had my Model Y, without Autopilot or FSD engaged, turn the wheel hard to the right and try to drive me off the road when driving straight into the low setting sun. It was as if it were trying to avoid a collision but there was no car or object within close distance ahead. I had to forcefully turn the wheel back to the left to regain control.

While I drive in fear whenever I drive into the sun, it's particularly scary to think that if I didn't recover quick enough and went off the road with a passenger due to some software glitch, I could be charged with attempted murder.

I have no idea whether this was intentional or not, but I do know that it doesn't have to be in Autopilot or FSD to have been initiated by the vehicle.

I have had my Model Y, without Autopilot or FSD engaged, turn the wheel hard to the right and try to drive me off the road when driving straight into the low setting sun. It was as if it were trying to avoid a collision but there was no car or object within close distance ahead. I had to forcefully turn the wheel back to the left to regain control.

While I drive in fear whenever I drive into the sun, it's particularly scary to think that if I didn't recover quick enough and went off the road with a passenger due to some software glitch, I could be charged with attempted murder.

this could be a defense, but easily rebutted with car records. IF TSLA were to release them

It's called lane assist... and stop blowing it up and twisting the feature into some BS.

It's called lane assist... and stop blowing it up and twisting the feature into some BS.
I'm not blowing up or twisting anything. Just describing what I have actually experienced to make the point that it's not required that FSD or Autopilot (in this case, I'm referring to TACC and Autosteer features) be engaged for the car to apply steering automatically. I mentioned it because the article states that it was believed that FSD and Autopilot were not in use, which seemed to imply that it was therefore driver-initiated. In my case, it was as if someone grabbed the steering wheel and pulled it to the right for 1 to 2 seconds. It was not subtle or minimal, and there were no vehicles or objects near me, nor was I anywhere close to departing the lane.

This exact issue is described in the Tesla manual. It's says Lane Assist may apply unnecessary or inappropriate steering in certain situations, including when light from oncoming headlights or direct sunlight is interfering with the view of the camera.

I'm not blowing up or twisting anything. Just describing what I have actually experienced to make the point that it's not required that FSD or Autopilot (in this case, I'm referring to TACC and Autosteer features) be engaged for the car to apply steering automatically. I mentioned it because the article states that it was believed that FSD and Autopilot were not in use, which seemed to imply that it was therefore driver-initiated. In my case, it was as if someone grabbed the steering wheel and pulled it to the right for 1 to 2 seconds. It was not subtle or minimal, and there were no vehicles or objects near me, nor was I anywhere close to departing the lane.

This exact issue is described in the Tesla manual. It's says Lane Assist may apply unnecessary or inappropriate steering in certain situations, including when light from oncoming headlights or direct sunlight is interfering with the view of the camera.
You are conflating things. This is a case of a suicidal driver and you try too make some BS connection to driver assist gone awry. GFTO.

I've had the same thing happen, not on AP or TACC, thankfully only going about 10mph on a snow covered neighborhood street. Did all the warnings about take control immediately, corrective steering applied, and then I had to fight it hard to not drive up on the 18 inches of hard icy snow on the grass median.

That's when I turned off all lane departure warnings that I could, which has helped, maybe?

Even with everything off, it still tried to do it on an off ramp with snow shoulders, but did not put up such a big fight.

Both times I was in the proper lane, but snow confused it.

Last edited:
Reactions: vickh
From photo I saw of the car it was either a Model 3 or Y’s door handles clearly visible. The rescue team had already worked on extracting the passengers with the jaws of life having said all the doors were crushed in and couldn’t open. Also saw early video or a photo of someone moving inside and peering out through the windshield or glass roof. Pretty amazing flipping over a few times that they landed higher than the ocean and everyone was alive. Seemed to have shocked the rescuers.

As for male driver being arrested, I only surmise the surviving wife told police he intentionally tried to kill them all by driving off the cliff. What a terrifying ordeal to have happen to you.

Wow. Encouraging and disappointing at the same time. I can't help but wonder if the husband may have lost the family's savings in unwise Tesla investments, and became suicidal/homicidal as a result.

Is being poor such a bad thing that people would rather die? Strange considering most poor people today live like kings of yesterdays.. I guess when someone becomes emotionally, all rational thought goes out the window.

• Love
Reactions: cleverscreenam
Wow, higher power or something else, someone or something was certainly looking out for these people.

Tesla flies off 250 foot cliff.

All four survived. Two adults with non-life threatening injuries and 9 and 4 year old kids escaped injury.

Just amazing.

EDIT: HOLY CRAP, just read another report that the driver was arrested for INTENIONALLY DRIVING OFF THE CLIFF in an attempt to kill himself and his family. Wow. Don't know what to say to that! Well, thank god for at least, the wife and two children surviving.

Last edited:
There’s a thread about this and the whole thing is very sad.

So sad and happy at the same time. Don't know what to feel.

When I first read it, was just simply amazed that all four survived a terrible "accident", so I thought.

Then, read another article that the driver was arrested for intentionally trying to kill himself, his wife and precious 9 and 4 year old children. What could possibly have driven a man to do such a thing? I can't fathom any reasonable excuse for doing such a thing.

Clearly, someone or something, a higher power or something, was not ready to carry out his plan. Thank god at least, for his wife and two children for not having to become victims of what was apparently a cowardly act.

I've always been a believer that suicide is never the answer, except in rare cases of terminal illness that could put someone through grave pain before the illness takes them in such a brutal way. Then, the compassionate thing to do is let them choose to go out on their own terms. But otherwise, I believe there's always a better way. I don't know what was troubling the man, but hope he gets the help he needs.

In addition, hope he also gets the punishment he deserves for trying to murder his entire family. Killing yourself is one thing, taking others with you is.......well, any number of things. There's simply no excuse for doing so.

Hopefully, the family heals and can move on. Naturally, I know nothing about them, so can form no opinion of how this situation came to be. But can only assume, an experience like this will lead them to have a new outlook on life and hopefully make changes that lead to whatever the reason was for attempting to do such a thing or pushing a man to do such a thing.

Tesla, Volvo or whatever car, nobody would expect to survive that type of crash. Something wasn't ready to take these people. I pray that they all recognize their worth following such a miracle.

Reactions: FloraBlond
There’s a thread about this and the whole thing is very sad.

I just saw this being reported on another news channel. How sad and bizarre. Those kids and his wife will have mental scares for the rest of their lives.

The most recent news, are alleging that the driver did this intentionally as a murder suicide. Whatever the truth really is, a HUGE 👍🏻 on the build.

Reactions: kessel_run