Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Goes the Extra Mile ... To Ensure That We Get Our Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ForeverFree

Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2015
Sherman Oaks, CA
With VINs rolling past 200,000 and 400,000 Model 3s in queue, I've shared other folks' concern that service quality would inevitably suffer. And, that may prove the case in the future, as it already has for some.

However, in the interest of fairness, I'd like to sing Tesla's praises (and especially those of the Van Nuys, CA Service Center). This weekend, I noticed that my HPWC was no longer charging my car. Yes, the red ring of death on the charging port and red blinks of despair on the unit itself. Roadside Assistance picked up promptly and led me through troubleshooting.

The next morning, a national holiday, the SC dispatched a ranger to my house for diagnosis. When the verdict was bleak for my poor charger, they arranged for electricians to install a replacement this evening. All at zero charge. The electricians, from MountainGate Construction, were very pleasant, super professional, did a great job ... and refused to accept a tip.

This is in keeping with my entire Tesla ownership experience. In nearly two years and 30,000 miles, I've had only one minor repair issue (window seal goop). Degradation of less than 1%. Knocking on wood ...

And, when I've needed elective work (dual charger, LTE upgrade, annual inspection, etc.), Van Nuys has been amazing about dropping off a loaner (including a red P85D), picking up my car, etc.

From Roberto Galvez, the first SC teamer I met while first researching my car, to Katie who's helped on many an occasion, to Liz and Jason this time, the Van Nuys folks have been great.

Coupled with Tesla freebies such as 4G connectivity, roadside assistance, Supercharging, etc., Model S ownership, although high cost, has also been high value. I don't mind paying a premium price if that premium gets legitimately put to work in the form of strong warranty accountability, valet/loaner service, etc. And, of course, I still salivate any time I get to drive my car.

So, two thumbs up, and I hope that Tesla will find a way to keep this going in the Model 3 era. (We made two stand-in-line, opening day reservations.)

Keep up the good work!

With VINs rolling past 200,000 and 400,000 Model 3s in queue, I've shared other folks' concern that service quality would inevitably suffer. And, that may prove the case in the future, as it already has for some.

However, in the interest of fairness, I'd like to sing Tesla's praises (and especially those of the Van Nuys, CA Service Center). This weekend, I noticed that my HPWC was no longer charging my car. Yes, the red ring of death on the charging port and red blinks of despair on the unit itself. Roadside Assistance picked up promptly and led me through troubleshooting.

The next morning, a national holiday, the SC dispatched a ranger to my house for diagnosis. When the verdict was bleak for my poor charger, they arranged for electricians to install a replacement this evening. All at zero charge. The electricians, from MountainGate Construction, were very pleasant, super professional, did a great job ... and refused to accept a tip.

This is in keeping with my entire Tesla ownership experience. In nearly two years and 30,000 miles, I've had only one minor repair issue (window seal goop). Degradation of less than 1%. Knocking on wood ...

And, when I've needed elective work (dual charger, LTE upgrade, annual inspection, etc.), Van Nuys has been amazing about dropping off a loaner (including a red P85D), picking up my car, etc.

From Roberto Galvez, the first SC teamer I met while first researching my car, to Katie who's helped on many an occasion, to Liz and Jason this time, the Van Nuys folks have been great.

Coupled with Tesla freebies such as 4G connectivity, roadside assistance, Supercharging, etc., Model S ownership, although high cost, has also been high value. I don't mind paying a premium price if that premium gets legitimately put to work in the form of strong warranty accountability, valet/loaner service, etc. And, of course, I still salivate any time I get to drive my car.

So, two thumbs up, and I hope that Tesla will find a way to keep this going in the Model 3 era. (We made two stand-in-line, opening day reservations.)

Keep up the good work!

Great story, do you have a whole house surge protector? That may help extend the life of the Wall Connector. Here are good ones:

Leviton 120/240-Volt Residential Whole House Surge Protector-R02-51110-SRG - The Home Depot

Murray 20 Amp 6.5 in. Whole House Surge Protected Circuit Breaker-MSA2020SPDP - The Home Depot

Last edited:
This is how we know Tesla is still operating as a startup, there is no standardization of the service experience. I'm not complaining about my SC, but they've never had valet and have never given me a Tesla loaner. I've gotten Buick's and MBs, but never a Tesla.