Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla goes up in flames!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This happened yesterday at a gas station.
holland%20shell%20gas%20station%20fire%20061618_1529182476541.JPG_45695152_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

http://www.woodtv.com/news/ottawa-c...-car-fire-at-ottawa-co-gas-station/1243578529

5230f433bddca.image.jpg

From Twitter
Spontaneous, non-traumatic cause would be bad. Hope Tesla responds quickly.
Why is the Tesla response always to point fingers at others or the driver? Drives me nuts. Driver gets in AP crash and tesla regurgitates safety numbers and then puts the driver on blast. Stop doing that!

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is the Tesla response always to point fingers at others or the driver? Drives me nuts. It is a Trump move. Driver gets in AP crash and tesla regurgitates safety numbers and then puts the driver on blast. Stop doing that!
What does this have to do with this case? AFAIK Tesla has said they are concerned and are investigating.

Earlier this year a 9000 gallon gasoline transport tanker exploded when the truck brakes over heated and melted the roadway.

9_1516638059323_32372388_ver1.0_640_360.JPG

All lanes of I-15 reopen after massive tanker fire

Local news only and no oil company stocks were affected.

A similar tanker exploded 2 weeks ago on I75 close to my daughters workplace and they thought a bomb had gone off nearby. Never made the national news.

Earlier this year a 9000 gallon gasoline transport tanker exploded when the truck brakes over heated and melted the roadway.

9_1516638059323_32372388_ver1.0_640_360.JPG

All lanes of I-15 reopen after massive tanker fire

Local news only and no oil company stocks were affected.

A similar tanker exploded 2 weeks ago on I75 close to my daughters workplace and they thought a bomb had gone off nearby. Never made the national news.

Some years ago, a friend and I were standing under and adjacent to the 5 freeway near the San Diego airport. We heard brakes, tires screeching, a whoosh, and a very loud earth-shaking boom.

That was the tanker hauling gasoline that was now engulfed in flames. Didn’t make the national news either, afaik.

And here we have a case of seemingly spontaneous combustion. I can think of no other cases without a catalyst, the closest being that one car that was attached to an SC that burned to the frame (the cause of which having been traced to a poorly-torqued connection).

How Tesla manages their messaging is of great interest. There is an opportunity for improvement in that regard, and no excuse to not take advantage of that opportunity.

Why does the fire out the left side of the car look like it's shooting sideways under pressure, almost similar to an ICE car where the fuel rails have been damaged in an accident and keep delivering gas with the ignition on. Is it the coolant?

Why does the fire out the left side of the car look like it's shooting sideways under pressure, almost similar to an ICE car where the fuel rails have been damaged in an accident and keep delivering gas with the ignition on. Is it the coolant?
The model 3 pack has fire vents to release the pressure during a battery fire. Maybe the S has them near this location. Just a theory.

• Informative
Reactions: israndy
Yes... Investigating the incident and insists that their cars are less likely to catch fire than ice vehicles. Im sure that will make the S owners in this case feel so much better.

Where are you getting that from? I don't see any official statement from Tesla on this incident aside from "We offer our support to local authorities and are investigating the incident. We’re glad our customer is safe" or "Tesla called the incident an "extraordinary unusual occurrence." The company is investigating."

Now the Electrek.co article does reiterate the "less likely" stuff, but I'm not aware of Tesla saying that.

The longest response I've seen from Tesla says "This is an extraordinarily unusual occurrence, and we are investigating the incident to find out what happened," a Tesla spokesperson told ET in a statement on Sunday. "Our initial investigation shows that the cabin of the vehicle was totally unaffected by the fire due to our battery architecture, which is designed to protect the cabin in the very rare event that a battery fire occurs. While our customer had time to safely exit the car, we are working to understand the cause of the fire. We’re glad our customer is safe."

That one was here

Tesla Responds to 'Extraordinarily Unusual' Video Of Their Car Seemingly Catching Fire

I'm sure you can cite a source of Tesla responding in the way you say they did to this incident as you wouldn't simply make that up. Obviously you know that's a Trump move, and wouldn't pull it yourself.

As soon as I see that citation then I'll be on your side as I would find that response troubling.

Last edited:
Where are you getting that from? I don't see any official statement from Tesla on this incident aside from "We offer our support to local authorities and are investigating the incident. We’re glad our customer is safe" or "Tesla called the incident an "extraordinary unusual occurrence." The company is investigating."

Now the Electrek.co article does reiterate the "less likely" stuff, but I'm not aware of Tesla saying that.

The longest response I've seen from Tesla says "This is an extraordinarily unusual occurrence, and we are investigating the incident to find out what happened," a Tesla spokesperson told ET in a statement on Sunday. "Our initial investigation shows that the cabin of the vehicle was totally unaffected by the fire due to our battery architecture, which is designed to protect the cabin in the very rare event that a battery fire occurs. While our customer had time to safely exit the car, we are working to understand the cause of the fire. We’re glad our customer is safe."

That one was here

Tesla Responds to 'Extraordinarily Unusual' Video Of Their Car Seemingly Catching Fire

I'm sure you can cite a source of Tesla responding in the way you say they did to this incident as you wouldn't simply make that up. Obviously you know that's a Trump move, and wouldn't pull it yourself.

As soon as I see that citation then I'll be on your side as I would find that response troubling.
'A Tesla spokesperson told DailyMail.com that the company is investigating the incident, and insists that the company's cars are far less likely to catch fire than gas vehicles.'

Quite interesting like lots of people are trying to find some excuse not to inform about such incidents because ... <whatever> (happens for ICEs as well, doesn't happen too often,...).
With Tesla's known unwillingness to confirm problems before they are pushed thru media and publicized (i.e. M3 braking distance) I (as MS owner) fully support any push making them investigating (and fixing if needed) instead of just saying "it's too rare", "user's fault", "works for us perfectly"... or similar BS (we, as sw developers like to say to QA :) when they find some issue).
And we all are doing QA job for Tesla as they obviously can't afford their own (various regressions from version to version, i.e steering wheel heating stopped working in 2018.18 - something even basic regression testing must catch)... :(

Last edited: