Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla .. going downhill?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm about to cancel my model X and Y orders. So many complaints and hard time getting issues fixed. I guess I'm looking for some folks to post positive experiences hoping that the vast majority of vehicles are trouble free.
If you are looking for honest and unprovoked feedback, all you need to look to is the customer satisfaction rating. Tesla is currently #1. Forums are not the place to look for balanced feedback. Dissatisfied owners are the loudest on here and bully anyone who says otherwise. I just returned from 4,000 mile cross-country road-trip and loved every second of it.

I'm about to cancel my model X and Y orders. So many complaints and hard time getting issues fixed. I guess I'm looking for some folks to post positive experiences hoping that the vast majority of vehicles are trouble free.
As a happy owner for over 5 years I will say I love my model S but am ambivalent at best about Tesla as a company. Early on they were extremely customer focused. Now it's all about sales, existing customers are a low priority. If you can live with that, buy away.

I

Most are trouble free, but if you are they type that expect there never to be an issue I think you are right to cancel.

The Model X is as Elon put it, a Faberge Egg. A delicate special creature. But it has its limitations and eccentricities. I drive one and love it, but it does some times test my patience.

The Model Y is brand new car. And year one of any car is going to have issues. The engineers and test teams can do the best they can, but still bugs will creep through and there is no test like people using a car day in and out.

So if you are not prepared to handle this, best to bail.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Read every response here carefully. The collective knowledge is broad and deep on this forum.
No car is perfect. Have had several Model S's and as of late December a model X. All have been the best car I have ever driven (Over Porsche Turbos and AMG Mercedes and BMW M's) with the 2019 X being the best of the best. The visibility, Technology, acceleration, ease of fueling, and surprising handling combine to set it apart.

Reactions: Sherlo and Ciaopec
If you look for negative, you will find it. Even for the perfect car. I just got my second model x. It’s fit and finish doesn’t compare to German cars, because it’s not a German car. It’s made by American people to American quality. And it will rattle like an American car. All in all, the positive makes up for the short fall.

Reactions: blitzpa
TMC posts are not a random sample of all owners. All car forums tend to attract owners who have issues/complaints with their cars compared to owners who visit to post “Everything worked fine on my car today”.

It’s a news headline when “Man bites dog” but not a headline when “Dog bites man”.

That said, of course owner complaints can be legitimate, I am not dismissing them. And I will readily admit that I think the X Falcon Wing doors were a design mistake; yes, they work, but their advantages are modest compared to their disadvantages.

I’ve owned only Teslas for over 5 years. The cars are amazing, revolutionary, it’s like driving the future. They are not perfect, of course. But I’m very happy with my cars and have no plans to buy from any other manufacturer in the future. If you want the best long range EV on the market, buy a Tesla.

It is all about the severity of the complaints and how they are handled. I always look at the negative reviews. Are people complaining that the color of the product was misrepresented or Amazon sent them the wrong one? Not a big deal. Are there complaints about part failures and costly or lengthy repairs? It's a big deal. The OP being charged improperly and not being able to talk to anyone about it? Huge deal. I have a friend with a Model X who has had his car in for service more days in 2 years than I have over the last 28 years all cars combined.

I was ready to buy a Tesla pickup despite this, until I saw it. :(

I'll chime in here as well. Gerald is a 2018 XP100D with just over 12,000 miles now. Never have I owned a car that I love more than this one. With 2 exceptions all cars I have owned since I got my license in 1972 have been Chevys. The X has had fewer problems than any of them, especially the 1980 Caprice Classic that went through 3 transmissions in as many years. Or the 74 Vega that rusted through in 6 months. Or the 79 MGB that would shed pieces on a random basis. Or the 2010 Suburban that had at least a dozen recalls. The list goes on. Compared to all of my cars, the X is stellar PLUS it's an absolute blast to drive.

Yes, Tesla has some growing pains, and I've experienced a couple of them. I'll continue to be an advocate while they straighten themselves out, which will happen. In the meantime, I don't believe I'll ever buy any other make of car again.

Last edited:
This thread prompted me to sign up to this forum and write my first post.

12/19 LR FSD MX
My first Tesla, my first EV, after almost 50 years of driving almost all reliable, good quality ICE cars.
Last September I took the plunge, after consuming all the forums. I was prepared for disappointment.

Thus far, the entire experience to my surprise has been pure pleasure, including
(1) the help and attitude from the SC test drive and follow up questions, through ordering (October) to delivery and pick up (December, Toronto Lawrence). Wait time was bang in the middle of the order time prediction.
(2) After a month of ownership I have yet to find or experience a fault or quality issue of any kind.
Of course- I’m surprised.
(Actually, since it’s winter here, I do find getting the right balance of cabin heat and defogging to be annoying. Too hot or too cold. Small problem and I’m sure I will figure it out.)
And how is to drive, as a car and not rolling technology? Better than any of my expectations or previous cars.
So I appreciate my good luck, and still have a grin every time it invites me to step in.
Gavin

Reactions: Sherlo and Spelly88
The biggest issue is for Tesla owners right now is poor service quality. In crowded areas (e.g. SoCal) you often have to wait weeks/months for a service appointment. If you get into an accident it can take a long time for parts to be delivered to the shop.

If you're lucky and never need to visit a service center, you'll most likely have a very positive impression of Tesla. If you're unlucky and need to deal with their customer service, then your impression will most likely be negative.

Unfortunately since Tesla is the only legitimate EV manufacturer, they don't really have an incentive to provide good customer service. They have the market cornered. For them, they're much better off focusing their resources on producing vehicles rather than servicing them. I don't think we will see an improvement in Tesla's service capability until there is another EV competitor on Tesla's level. Personally I'm really looking forward to 2022+ when VW and Ford start producing EVs en masse and Tesla is forced to improve its service. Hopefully I don't get into an accident before then.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
The biggest issue is for Tesla owners right now is poor service quality. In crowded areas (e.g. SoCal) you often have to wait weeks/months for a service appointment. If you get into an accident it can take a long time for parts to be delivered to the shop.

If you're lucky and never need to visit a service center, you'll most likely have a very positive impression of Tesla. If you're unlucky and need to deal with their customer service, then your impression will most likely be negative.

Unfortunately since Tesla is the only legitimate EV manufacturer, they don't really have an incentive to provide good customer service. They have the market cornered. For them, they're much better off focusing their resources on producing vehicles rather than servicing them. I don't think we will see an improvement in Tesla's service capability until there is another EV competitor on Tesla's level. Personally I'm really looking forward to 2022+ when VW and Ford start producing EVs en masse and Tesla is forced to improve its service. Hopefully I don't get into an accident before then.

Really? You think VW and Ford will upgrade their service to Tesla levels with Remote Service by 2022, and get rid of stealerships? I await this brave new world.

After having owned 5 Nissan Leafs, 2 Fiat 500es, 2 Ford Focus Electrics, a 2014 Tesla Model S, a 2016 Tesla Model X, a 2019 Jaguar i-Pace and finally a 2016 Tesla Model S P100DL, I can say that I am the happiest with my Tesla purchases. Sure, I have had some issues, but by far, they have been the most enjoyable vehicles to own and drive. I have the Cybertruck on pre-order - really looking forward to driving that beast.

It really says something that no other manuracturer today has a vehicle to match the 2012 Tesla Model S range.

Brent

Reactions: Vitaman
Really? You think VW and Ford will upgrade their service to Tesla levels with Remote Service by 2022, and get rid of stealerships? I await this brave new world.

At least with other manufacturers you can call and speak to a human. Or get a service appointment within a month.

Tesla has by far the worst service I've ever seen from a car manufacturer, which is a shame because I love their cars so much.

3 Teslas, 1st in 2013 (see sig). Many small issues with early S, less so as time goes by (revised engineering, better build quality). The 2015 S has had door handle issues and not much else. The 3 has a couple of issues, including a cooling fan failure and a long wait for parts. maybe a few more annoyances than prior Lexus vehicles (driven from 1989 to 2013), but less overall service time and $$. Never been left stranded, no catastrophic failures---and a real joy to drive.

And, yes, having a good local service center/contact is really helpful.

Tesla ownership is like having kids or a dog. They are not perfect...but you Love them.

Most of the complaints on this forum are about paint imperfections. They want a show quality finish, but get a production finish.

The cars are the best personal transportation for many, available today.

Their unique range, performance, handling and efficiency package is making them highly aspirational vehicles.

They are not flawless. Most come out fantastic, but some have issues. Most issues are quickly addressed at service centers.

After reading these posts you will have a pretty good idea what to expect from your own Tesla. Perfection has not been achieved.

There is still some faith needed to place your order, and many will hesitate, but the joy the cars bring is real.

I think that your expectations of the cars and service depends a lot on what you are used to. If you are coming from a non-luxury brand, the online service scheduling, mobile service thing is likely to make you very happy. If you are coming from a Lexus or a better German brand dealership, (and these dealerships vary wildly) then you might be nearly as impressed. I for one think that Tesla has a long way to go to catch up with their level of after-sales (and even during sales) service and are damn lucky that the cars don't have more stuff to go wrong. If Tesla were trying to run an ICE car company this way they'd be out of business. The inability to get through to a human, and the way they don't follow up with regular consistency just isn't good, and it isn't sustainable, especially as the fleet grows and grows. Parts availability is still a mess, and some of the service lead times are WAY too long.

Having said that my service appointments to date have been "ok". Certainly mobile techs are a plus but scheduling to get into the service center leaves something to be desired. Perhaps it's just been that I can get in to any of the dealerships I've frequented in the last decade within 48 hours and get a loaner as well? Not sure.

I think some of the answers I've seen here and in other threads are a bit harsh. And the trope of "it's forums, no one comes here to say positive things" is tired. I've been around auto forums for 15 years (yikes) and gotten to know some people online very well and met quite a few in person. The majority of people on forums are positive and enthusiastic about their car. They join forums because they want to enjoy their cars MORE not less. There are always people here and there that join and immediately start bashing the car / dealer / brand and you can tell they are just there to vent. Those people are usually dealt with quickly by forum regulars and realize that the forum, if it's a good forum, is way more positive and no one wants to hear someone bitch. So when someone does bitch, especially someone who has been around a while, is a frequent poster, or both, it's usually for legitimate reasons.

The other thing I notice is that for many Tesla owners, the Tesla is the first car they actually give a crap about. The first car that WOULD inspire them to join a forum. To participate. To mod the car. To get under it's skin. It's the type of car and the type of brand that naturally encourages that and it's one of the things I like about the car. But because this is many owner's first time behind the scenes, they're now seeing how the sausage is made and it's not only pretty. If you're into cars, been in car forums for a while, understand how dealers work, how the sales process goes, how technical service bulletins and service campaigns are different from recalls, what goodwill is, and how having a trusted service adviser can make your ownership life more pleasant, this is a different world than if all of this is new to you.

So if you can help new guys, please do. Remember you were once one too.

Last edited:
At least with other manufacturers you can call and speak to a human. Or get a service appointment within a month.

Tesla has by far the worst service I've ever seen from a car manufacturer, which is a shame because I love their cars so much.

I think that's *mostly* for Cali due to the sheer volume of cars there. I have had zero issues and can schedule a service within a week for both SC and mobile services. Mine have been great. And I've seen signs on non Tesla cars saying "this car has been in shop for past 5 out of 6 months do not buy one. So I'm not sure where you get that only Tesla has had this problem, though I do admit it sounds like they need to step it up in southern Cali.

Also the phone thing, I personally love and don't really see why people want to talk to someone on a phone. Most people that demand to speak to someone generally are the people that are getting nothing accomplished because they're yelling and demanding something of someone who.. answers phones. Where, when you schedule service or email(though email still has a hard time of being tracked), that low level tech person looking at ticket can take time to go consult with someone who can do what is needed and make the needed decisions on a better schedule.

I think that your expectations of the cars and service depends a lot on what you are used to. If you are coming from a non-luxury brand, the online service scheduling, mobile service thing is likely to make you very happy. If you are coming from a Lexus or a better German brand dealership, (and these dealerships vary wildly) then you might be nearly as impressed. I for one think that Tesla has a long way to go to catch up with their level of after-sales (and even during sales) service and are damn lucky that the cars don't have more stuff to go wrong. If Tesla were trying to run an ICE car company this way they'd be out of business. The inability to get through to a human, and the way they don't follow up with regular consistency just isn't good, and it isn't sustainable, especially as the fleet grows and grows. Parts availability is still a mess, and some of the service lead times are WAY too long.

Having said that my service appointments to date have been "ok". Certainly mobile techs are a plus but scheduling to get into the service center leaves something to be desired. Perhaps it's just been that I can get in to any of the dealerships I've frequented in the last decade within 48 hours and get a loaner as well? Not sure.

That's the thing, I drive cars and ride motorcycles, I research and scour about cars all the time. And there has NEVER been a brand that didn't have this same sort of 'problem'. Someone complains about service, a lot of people say theirs is great. Someone asks about how reliable because everyone is posting issues, people say theirs is fine. There's a VAST majority of people that would never think of getting on a car forum or group because they just drive their cars every day, they don't care after that unless they have an issue. Tesla is a little different than most because I see so many people passionate about their cars from so many different walks of life. So people are much more likely to bring up even smaller issues on a forum than just driving to dealership 2 mins away.

On the other hand, I love the ability to schedule a mobile appointment though their app, get a text when it's confirmed and any needed info before the appointment, and get the issue resolved at my house without even having to actually make a phone call or drive anywhere. I understand some instances need escalation and higher level support, but ability to resolve a good amount of issues like my experience are unmatched by other brands.