Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla .. going downhill?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M3P owner for 1 year, 14k miles and its the best car i have ever owned. List of my last set of cars, newest to oldest, porsche gt3, porsche gts, porsche 911, prius, bmw m6, prius, chevy z71 truck, corvette c5, corvette c4, you get the picture.

Your are buying one of the most advanced vehicle in the world. Out of my 14k miles, i have probably only driven 500 miles of that. The cars features and capabilities are insane. I mean my cars performance went from 0 to 60 in 3.2 seconds and after 3 updates by tesla, its now down to about 2.9 seconds, i mean who else in the world can do this???? Not buying this car would be a HUGE MISTAKE.

People come to forums to complain. Generally speaking, people are entitled and love to complain.

Not saying this is you.

Most people that drive Tesla's worship them and don't understand how you can drive other car companies much less ICE cars.

Yeah, I have had some issues with my S, my X and my 3. Just like other cars. They are machines. They are the best cars I have ever owned. Every time I get in an ICE now it is like a panic attack.

Whatever you decide to drive, make sure it is a BEV or you get no love from me, not that you care. But I have no use for people that have a choice and decide to go with an ICE.

All the best!
We hear this all the time though and there is no empirical evidence to support that theory. Most people actually only join ANY forum after they acquire something, either to speak with like-minded owners or to get additional information/tips/tricks, etc. Again, if there weren't service/support issues at a significant level than Elon himself wouldn't even have bothered to address it in the press. I don't understand why people get so upset with the fact that Tesla is having growing pains and it has affected both build quality and service/support. Most people going in realize that, and those that don't usually are the ones complaining here simply because of the cost and/or previous history with a previous manufacturer. Honestly, I've belonged to multiple car sites (Benz, Lexus, BMW) and honestly can't recall seeing people say "hopefully you got one of the good ones", or stating they are saving up their repairs/fixes/bugs to have them done all at once and I assume that is primarily because many people don't have access either to close or multiple service centers. Ask yourself why Tesla went away from certifying their own used cars? Remember when they were handed to owners in MINT condition? It was costing them tons to do, as was the free shipping/transfers, not to mention it obviously was cutting into new cars sales. This all went away because they are trying to make a consistent profit going forward, so of course sacrifices have to be made, unfortunately it is the consumer that feels it for now.

They sometimes call from the hard lines at the service center desk. The same phones that they never actually pick up when I try to call back and always have full voicemails. Shrug.

It wasn't always this way. 2 years ago service was fine. Wait until the local Tesla population reaches critical mass in your area.
My prediction is that the Model 3 forum is gonna be a shitshow once the Y debuts, if history serves us well. Because it appears that S and X owners are getting no love to make room for all of the Model 3 owners, and if as predicted the Model Y easily outsells the 3 over the next few years it's gonna get ugly IMHO.

We hear this all the time though and there is no empirical evidence to support that theory. Most people actually only join ANY forum after they acquire something, either to speak with like-minded owners or to get additional information/tips/tricks, etc. Again, if there weren't service/support issues at a significant level than Elon himself wouldn't even have bothered to address it in the press. I don't understand why people get so upset with the fact that Tesla is having growing pains and it has affected both build quality and service/support. Most people going in realize that, and those that don't usually are the ones complaining here simply because of the cost and/or previous history with a previous manufacturer. Honestly, I've belonged to multiple car sites (Benz, Lexus, BMW) and honestly can't recall seeing people say "hopefully you got one of the good ones", or stating they are saving up their repairs/fixes/bugs to have them done all at once and I assume that is primarily because many people don't have access either to close or multiple service centers. Ask yourself why Tesla went away from certifying their own used cars? Remember when they were handed to owners in MINT condition? It was costing them tons to do, as was the free shipping/transfers, not to mention it obviously was cutting into new cars sales. This all went away because they are trying to make a consistent profit going forward, so of course sacrifices have to be made, unfortunately it is the consumer that feels it for now.

No one ever said Tesla is not having issues with service at times. All car companies do. Tesla’s seem to be reported in the MM much more than any other OEM. If they were NOT having issues, then you would really have to wonder what is going on. How would that even be possible, for a company growing from scratch with an undersized service infrastructure to have explosions in sales and demand and not find themselves behind in service?

Obviously, if you are one of the severely affected Owners, that sucks. Glad that never happens with other companies or dealerships.

But Tesla has gone on record that this is a problem. Have driven the cars since 2013 and have seen ups and downs with service. They seem to be on an upswing now. Very difficult labor market right now to find good people, and Tesla needs THOUSANDS.

If this is all too much for you and you want to go with a legacy OEM, be my guest. Just buy a BEV.

And yes, people come on this forum to complain.

Reactions: Vitaman
For a company doing downhill, it's stock is going through the roof.

Tesla is now more highly valued than any other American auto manufacturer...ever.

As the volume of production increases, the volume of issues will increase as well. Simply more customers will mean more complainers will show up on the forums.

Overall the growth of this amazing company has been...all uphill.

The basic car seems to be pretty bulletproof. Complaints are mostly cosmetic, with the occasional mechanical issues getting quickly sorted out by the service centers. As always there will be some outliers that don't get resolved, and of course turn to the forums to vent.

Why not? I do not create a thread or post every time I have a positive experience with Tesla. I do post when I have a bad experience. I am sure this is the case with most members.
And tons of people that have posted only glowing reviews of Tesla here won't admit to a bad experience after calling those that did either trolls, the exception to the rule or to sell it if it bothers them that much (all stated here). Yet there are a few here not blindly beheld to Tesla that can readily admit as much. I see this same argument at every other site I belong to, and it comes across as simply an excuse to defend, when there is empirical evidence Tesla has actual teething issues. Almost every review, long-term report, Youtube pro-Tesla person, etc. all seem to say the same thing so this isn't simply "people only come to forums to complain". No one is stating they aren't great cars, but build, service and support as of now leave a lot to be desired.

I'm terribly excited to get my X and the wifey to get the Y and of course the truck a few years from now .. like I mentioned .. I'm a huge fanboy .. and Tesla's stock treating me right doesn't hurt ..

However, with that said, I still have yet to get my $3300 back from the 3 "ludicrous mode" charges from the Tesla Shop on my credit card. Now 5 emails sent, 5 auto-replies stating they would get back to me in 24-48 hours, it has now been almost 3 weeks since the first email. There's nobody to call.

Edit: What I meant by "ludicrous mode" charges was 3 back to back charges for an $1100 order (for wall chargers) that never got shipped nor did I ever get an order confirmation. I've since ordered black chargers and they shipped the next day.

For a company doing downhill, it's stock is going through the roof.

Tesla is now more highly valued than any other American auto manufacturer...ever.

I'm not sure how a company's stock price is relevant to the quality its product? All the stock price reflects is the profitability of a company. Take McDonald's for example - its stock has doubled in the last few years, but I doubt anyone would say their hamburgers are high quality.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
I'm terribly excited to get my X and the wifey to get the Y and of course the truck a few years from now .. like I mentioned .. I'm a huge fanboy .. and Tesla's stock treating me right doesn't hurt ..

However, with that said, I still have yet to get my $3300 back from the 3 "ludicrous mode" charges from the Tesla Shop on my credit card. Now 5 emails sent, 5 auto-replies stating they would get back to me in 24-48 hours, it has now been almost 3 weeks since the first email. There's nobody to call.

Edit: What I meant by "ludicrous mode" charges was 3 back to back charges for an $1100 order (for wall chargers) that never got shipped nor did I ever get an order confirmation. I've since ordered black chargers and they shipped the next day.
Obligatory "check's in the mail"! For such a well thought out product, sometimes Tesla comes across as a startup run by a group of teens too busy gazing at their phones.

Reactions: Needsdecaf
Had my X for 3 months now. been in for service 5 times already. issues still persist. ride and steering wheel feedback is harsher than any vehicle we have ever owned including my 14k$ Kia Soul EV. At this point I honestly feel that had I bought any other SUV/CUV at any price point I would be happier without a complaint in sight. 100% regret my purchase at this point. will likely take a bath on the value and trade it for a cheap car and recover from my losses as Tesla service has just destroyed any faith that I will be taken care of with quick dismissals of "this is normal".

• Informative
Reactions: jet44
Had my X for 3 months now. been in for service 5 times already. issues still persist. ride and steering wheel feedback is harsher than any vehicle we have ever owned including my 14k$ Kia Soul EV. At this point I honestly feel that had I bought any other SUV/CUV at any price point I would be happier without a complaint in sight. 100% regret my purchase at this point. will likely take a bath on the value and trade it for a cheap car and recover from my losses as Tesla service has just destroyed any faith that I will be taken care of with quick dismissals of "this is normal".

Why do I think you will insist you never drift out of your lane?

• Disagree
Reactions: Dade
Those who can't deal with the growing pains of an industry disrupter should just go buy old technology. This has been true since the days of horse and buggy. I for one can accept the growing pains and I have had cars from all the major makers. Go big or go home.

I can accept growing pains in the product.

What I don't accept is lousy customer service and communication. And that's honestly Tesla's biggest issue.

I'm blown away and amazed at this point .. there really is no way to actually talk to someone at Tesla .. today I called to get an update on my order and after navigating the auto attendant someone answered (could hear background noise like from a call center) and then just hungup. Not once .. not twice .. FIVE TIMES!

Not sure if I'm more amazed I'm still buying from this company or that they are treating customers this way. Any other company I would have moved on in short order. Wow.

And tons of people that have posted only glowing reviews of Tesla here won't admit to a bad experience after calling those that did either trolls, the exception to the rule or to sell it if it bothers them that much (all stated here).
You are saying if you own one and don't complain you are an idiot. It's funny that I only see said glowing reviews in response to overbearing negative and offensive personal attacks. You rarely, as compared to a person who has a bone to pick, see an unsolicited glowing review. I think you have lost a bit of perspective.

• Disagree
Reactions: doghousePVD
You are saying if you own one and don't complain you are an idiot. It's funny that I only see said glowing reviews in response to overbearing negative and offensive personal attacks. You rarely, as compared to a person who has a bone to pick, see an unsolicited glowing review. I think you have lost a bit of perspective.
Nope, reread. Tesla is a startup and there are so many anti-Tesla people that it makes it hard to believe those who have no issues whatsoever after X amount of time, considering Musk himself was forced to acknowledge that both repairs, spare parts and customer service has taken a turn for the worse. The fact that people keep using the same blanket excuse that "people only come to forums to complains" proves that. There are TONS of owners posting outside of forums like Youtube, online articles, Yelp!, etc. that have all stated as much...that they are great cars that unfortunately are prone to suffer build quality issues, long frustrating waits for service and poor customer service regardless of locale. Again, it isn't "normal" for owners of cars to 'stockpile' issues so they can all be addressed at once, or "hope" something gets resolved under warranty and not be told that it's normal, up to spec or normal wear and tear.

My point is that it's human nature when you are part of something special or the Next Big Thing to be overprotective and make excuses when issues arise.

Reactions: Dade