Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla got broken into overnight and driver certain is certain the car locked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

My mother went yesterday evening for shopping and she is certain the mirrors folded when she walked away from the car. This morning we saw there were two notifications that one of the passenger doors was open. Everything was taken out from the middle console, but nothing else was missing, chargers, cables and the USB was still in the car(Model 3 2020 model).
There was also a notification that the phone disconnected manual lock is needed, but my mother said that was when she got to the shop, even if this was the case, the mirrors wont actually fold to indicate the car was locked at home. We tested and the mirrors wont fold/car wont lock if one of the doors is not closed.

So, I have tried to look into service mode for some logs, but there is limited data. Called Tesla over the phone and they told me that they can't see if the car was closed or open, only when a door was opened or closed. Based on the data they gave me over the phone, the door was last closed the night before. I have requested all the data Tesla holds of us as this is what Tesla told me over the phone, but based on what says on their site, the info they hold won't be of much help and it can take up to 30 days.

The plan is to have sentry mode on until we find what was the problem if the car did not lock or someone forgot the door open OR even somehow someone managed to get our car opened. I wanted to ask, do you guys know of a way where I can have a detailed report of every car event like a door opening, closing and car unlocking/locking?

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Called Tesla over the phone and they told me that they can't see if the car was closed or open, only when a door was opened or closed. Based on the data they gave me over the phone, the door was last closed the night before. I have requested all the data Tesla holds of us as this is what Tesla told me over the phone, but based on what says on their site, the info they hold won't be of much help and it can take up to 30 days.
Sounds like Tesla has given you all the info that they can pull from the car. Is it possible that the location that the phone key or key fob is stored at night is in range of the Tesla and it didn't autolock because it was still in range all night? Or, when you walk away from the vehicle and out of range, it locks, but the key fob or phone key is then brought back into range which allows anyone to open the locked car.

Sounds like Tesla has given you all the info that they can pull from the car. Is it possible that the location that the phone key or key fob is stored at night is in range of the Tesla and it didn't autolock because it was still in range all night? Or, when you walk away from the vehicle and out of range, it locks, but the key fob or phone key is then brought back into range which allows anyone to open the locked car.
Unlikely because we live on the first floor and the car usually locks by the time we get to the main entrance door, sometimes it does not even open when next to the car. It doesn't seem I can do much really, so for now, I turn on sentry mode overnight for at least a week, in case it happens again, we can at least see how.