Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla got rear ended, still driveable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for this. Always in the back of my mind when my boys climb in back there, hopefully, will never have a real-world test.
Claire

My car's VIN is in the 50000's and there *was* some encroachment into the trunk space. Enough that the flap hiding the extra wheel space no longer sits flat. If it's any consolation, some glass tupperware that I forgot in there were still in perfect shape despite being tossed around. The rear lift gate actually still opened w/ a press of a button, but would no longer close anymore, as if something was caught in it. But still closable manually and with a firm hand.

BTW, I'm a she.

Thanks for sharing this nakedsushi. My wife has been concerned with the safety of the rear facing seats, and think this is a pretty telling story. I'm assuming you DON'T have the rear facing seats, which would imply that your car doesn't have the reinforced rear bumper. And that makes this story that much more compelling, because the lack of damage to your Tesla compared to that cop car is shocking! Do you have any pics of the interior area in the back of your car after the accident?

Sorry about the accident!!

And you did not/do not have rear facing seats, correct?

I do not have rear facing seats.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for sharing this nakedsushi. My wife has been concerned with the safety of the rear facing seats, and think this is a pretty telling story. I'm assuming you DON'T have the rear facing seats, which would imply that your car doesn't have the reinforced rear bumper. And that makes this story that much more compelling, because the lack of damage to your Tesla compared to that cop car is shocking! Do you have any pics of the interior area in the back of your car after the accident?

Sorry about the accident!!

I didn't think to take pictures of the interior trunk area, but it wasn't too bad. I would be more worried about the jolt to the neck on children who are rear facing. The more I think and fume about this, the more I'm grateful that my toddler wasn't in the car when this happened. She's still rear-facing in a car seat and usually that's the safest option b/c a rear collision is usually a slow speed one, but in this case, it could have seriously injured her neck!

If you had to guess his speed what you think? what is the speed limit of that area/road? also any rear end is 100% ALWAYS the followers fault regardless of if you slammed on brakes in middle of highway. excuse... following too close etc.

Here's a pic of my M5 it was a ford F250 that hit me at about 50 mph. speed limit was 45 so at least 45-55 ish mph. heavy car as well. wondered how a similar impact would affect rear siting occupant. after all my car had a trunk etc these have nothing but a hatch.

531494_505296352818821_416491432_n.jpg

If you had to guess his speed what you think? what is the speed limit of that area/road? also any rear end is 100% ALWAYS the followers fault regardless of if you slammed on brakes in middle of highway. excuse... following too close etc.

Here's a pic of my M5 it was a ford F250 that hit me at about 50 mph. speed limit was 45 so at least 45-55 ish mph. heavy car as well. wondered how a similar impact would affect rear siting occupant. after all my car had a trunk etc these have nothing but a hatch.

View attachment 100678

OUCH!

Ouch, sorry to see your car hit like that! The speed limit where I was at was about 35-40. My guess is he was going much faster than that.

The estimate from the collision center is about 18k, which is a lot less than expected, so there's that. No word from the city or anything. My insurance is taking care of it, so I haven't had any details other than the first page of the collision report. The cop was self-insured, which basically means the city or his jurisdiction will pay out of a pot.

Damn 18k. well that's the problem with an automatic braking system. it can stop sooner and shorter than a human in most cases so the prick who was too close to you didn't stand a chance :/ Ironically just today I was out on some meetings in the middle of nowhere (damn contract manufacturers haha) and a guy in front of me stopped out of no where. I slowed quit abruptly (didn't slam / lock up brakes though) then I hear screeching and look in rear view mirror and a tractor trailer is barreling down on me. I creep forward about a car length off to the left (the a hole in front was totally oblivious of course) slightly into on coming traffic getting a near miss from the car coming towards us. I only did that because the truck started to go towards the right (side of road) so I went left to give as much space as possible. he ended up about 1 full car length into where i would have been had i not moved. he was hauling a full truck of stand. didnt see, that fast he got into the ditch and it tipped over. was oddly slow tip tho. no one was hurt but the best part.

the guy in the front who didn't have the signal on. takes the left anyhow. turns around at first house. then just goes right past us lol.

IMG_0101_2.jpg
IMG_0103_3.jpg

Wow, that is some quick thinking! I can't believe the driver who slammed on their brakes didn't even stop to see if everyone was okay.

Update on my accident: insurance adjuster came out to the collision center for a 2nd, more detailed look and it turns out it's 35K in damage. Now there's some hub-bub where the collision center's labor rates are more than the insurance wants to pay, so I'd have to pay about 2k out of pocket unless I argue my case with my insurance. That's not the worse. Because of ordering parts, they won't have my car ready till MARCH 2016 if they go ahead with repairs.

Wow, that is some quick thinking! I can't believe the driver who slammed on their brakes didn't even stop to see if everyone was okay.

Update on my accident: insurance adjuster came out to the collision center for a 2nd, more detailed look and it turns out it's 35K in damage. Now there's some hub-bub where the collision center's labor rates are more than the insurance wants to pay, so I'd have to pay about 2k out of pocket unless I argue my case with my insurance. That's not the worse. Because of ordering parts, they won't have my car ready till MARCH 2016 if they go ahead with repairs.

You're dealing with their insurance directly? Or is your insurance dealing with theirs?

Also, for those 4 months, the officers insurance is providing you a rental, correct?

There is the rub with Tesla Certified repair. You can't fix it elsewhere because Tesla will not sell them parts. The insurance companies do not want to pay the labor they have to charge to recoup the training required. You have to tell the responsible insurance company "repair it or buy it" it's that simple. I hope they are paying a rental car for 5 months!

There is the rub with Tesla Certified repair. You can't fix it elsewhere because Tesla will not sell them parts. The insurance companies do not want to pay the labor they have to charge to recoup the training required. You have to tell the responsible insurance company "repair it or buy it" it's that simple. I hope they are paying a rental car for 5 months!

In my case, the Tesla certified repair center is also listed as one of my insurance company's "no-hassle repair" facilities, so I didn't run into this issue at all.

What's the process on diminished value? I've never done something like this before.

I have only read about diminished value here on these boards. But have personally experienced it when I sold my M3. The basics theory is that even though insurance & the body shop are claiming to put the car back to perfect shape, the reality is that having the accident/repair on the record will diminish the resale value. So a diminished value claim will reimburse for that loss.

Or something like that :)

In my case, the Tesla certified repair center is also listed as one of my insurance company's "no-hassle repair" facilities, so I didn't run into this issue at all.

I have not had an issue yet, but the closest trained body shop is ~100 miles from me. A repair needed here is going to be an issue with most insurance companies, not to mention the labor rates in Santa Barbara, or San Francisco.

I have not had an issue yet, but the closest trained body shop is ~100 miles from me. A repair needed here is going to be an issue with most insurance companies, not to mention the labor rates in Santa Barbara, or San Francisco.

I can understand it... this particular shop is 65 miles from me (west side of St. Louis), but the "no-hassle" bit is important to me. The local body shop owner wants to make an investment into the aluminum certifications and has asked about it (primarily for F-150's around here).