Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla granny charger on a non-Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please excuse my ignorance if this is a stupid question! My other half has just ordered a Seat Mii which apparently comes without a 13A charger. As it's a Type 2 charging connector would the Tesla 13A charger be OK to use with it? Or does the Tesla charger talk a proprietary protocol? As we have a 7kW home charge point I doubt it will be needed much but just thinking about options.

Search is a useful tool ;)
Apologies, I did do a search and somehow missed that.

UMC2 as supplied with the M3, MY and later MS and MX is fine. Be wary of the earlier UMC1 chargers as they did something very funny, it splits 32a single phase across 2 phases but signals 32a which some non Tesla cars get confused by and fry themselves.

Reactions: Adopado
Please excuse my ignorance if this is a stupid question! My other half has just ordered a Seat Mii which apparently comes without a 13A charger. As it's a Type 2 charging connector would the Tesla 13A charger be OK to use with it? Or does the Tesla charger talk a proprietary protocol? As we have a 7kW home charge point I doubt it will be needed much but just thinking about options.
I'll try it on my wife's Mii tomorrow if you like. :)