Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla granted licenses to sell direct in R.I.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RobStark

Jul 2, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Electric car manufacturer Tesla granted licenses to sell direct in R.I.

Brian Griffin can now join 2018 and buy a Tesla and have it serviced near Quahog.

do-cars-of-family-guy-reveal-who-killed-brian-griffin.jpg

So with Rhode Island off the list, how many more States does Telsa have left to fight to sell their cars in?

To my knowledge Tesla has tried to open stores in the following but is currently denied in

Michigan
Connecticut
Louisiana
West Virginia

Michigan is the highest priority with most resources spent on lawyers with Federal lawsuit pending. Tesla has hired lawyers and lobbyist in Connecticut. Tesla tried to open in New Orleans but this is low priority it seems. Tesla tried to open in Morgantown but this seems lowest priority. At the time Tesla could not open stores in Pennsylvania and this may have been a greater Pittsburgh store.

States that have passed anti-Tesla laws without Tesla attempting to open a store

Oklahoma
Kansas
Iowa

States that have specifically legalized Tesla type stores without Tesla asking to open a store

Wyoming

The Curious State of New York.

Tesla was authorized to open 5 stores and opened 5 stores in greater NYC. Wants to open more stores upstate but can't get limit increased.

The Curious State of Georgia.

Authorized to open 5 stores but Tesla only opened 2.

The Curious State of Texas.

Tesla has 8 "Galleries" in Texas but no stores. 4 years ago Texas DMV had severe restrictions on Tesla galleries but now largely ignores Tesla and it seems franchised dealers have stopped filing complaints. You can do everything in a Tesla Gallery in Texas that you can in a store except commence the actual purchase and make payment. You have to do that online. Or so that is that latest I have read. Maybe a Texan has more information. Tesla actively lobbying to get formally legalized because the next Texas DMV administration may decide to become &^%$!

The Curious State of Utah.

A couple of months ago Tesla lost a court case in front of Utah Supreme Court but now has Salt Lake City listed as a Store with Google reviews available where people bought vehicles in Salt Lake. Can't find info on what changed.

States without any Tesla stores or anti-Tesla action

Alabama
Alaska
Arkansas
Idaho
Kentucky
Mississippi
Montana
Nebraska
New Mexico
North Dakota
South Carolina