TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Graphical Log Parser

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by Doug_G, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

#1 Doug_G, Jan 29, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
    Now available from http://www.teslaflux.com/

--

I am nearly finished writing my new Tesla Graphical Log Parser, or TeslaGLoP for short. This tool makes it much easier to review your logs. It has a graphical user interface instead of command line. It can display graphs for speed, SOC, voltage, current, torque, etc. It can also print the graphs, and export segments of interest to a CSV file.

Huge thanks go out to Tom Saxton for his excellent document on the log format. Saved me a lot of time.

I will be releasing the executable as freeware. It runs on Windows XP/Vista/7. A beta test version will be available shortly. Right now I'm finishing it up and doing some development testing.

Before I release the beta, I would appreciate getting a few more logs to test with. I've got a couple from #919, but I'd like to test logs from at least several different cars, plus earlier (1.0/1.5) Roadsters, and hopefully some with many more miles on them (I'm only at 6,000 km). Maybe also a 2.5 just in case there's some undocumented differences.

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

#2 Doug_G, Jan 29, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
    Screen Capture

Tesla.jpg

Here's a short trip in the Roadster. You'll note that the application is resizable, so you can make the graph bigger. It has navigation functions for moving forwards and back through the log (will probably add a search feature at some point). You can specify up to four lines to display simultaneously, and can choose imperial or metric display units. It also shows the peak speed over the time shown and the starting and ending odometer reading.

3. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

Links to my log files PM'ed.

4. strider

strider Active Member

Looks like Cinergi has your 2.5 covered but your welcome to mine as well. I've never pulled them - do I just jack the Tesla thumb drive into the usb port near the 12V plug and wait? Does the car need to be on?

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Would be most appreciated! That's right, it's as simple as that.

Nope!

6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Got 'em. Thanks!

7. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

Takes about 15 minutes. When the message on the VDS about leaving the USB stick plugged in is gone, you're good to go.

8. suxxer

suxxer ElektroVolt

To get the logs use a USB stick and add a folder named “VehicleLogs” to the root, plug it in, turn the key on and off and watch the screen tell you it is downloading the logs.

9. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

The USB keyfob that comes with your Roadster already has that folder 'VehicleLogs' on it too.

10. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Still looking for a 1.5 log... anyone?

11. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Does it work for both FAT32 & NTFS formatted flash drives?

12. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Beta Test Version Available

Okay, here is the download link for the beta release.

http://www.teslaflux.com/SetupTeslaGLoP.exe

I'm sure there will be a glitch or two... please let me know!

Also I have yet to get a 1.5 log for testing purposes. There's a difference in one of the records, and I've not been able to test that.

13. scott451

scott451 KWH-PWR#1349Sprt,S Sig#96

NTFS is not supported. 2GB FAT drives work best. But I have also had success with 4GB FAT32.

14. dsm363

Thanks Doug. Works great. How do you graph the watts/mile average people talk about during their drives?

15. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Hmmm... I'm not sure how well an instantaneous value plot would work, given that various pieces of information are logged at different times. I'll do some experiments.

Certainly it should be possible to calculate a single average number for the current plot. I was also thinking that it might be handy to show the total distance travelled (the odometer at start and end is shown, but not the difference).

I'll tinker with it tonight if I have time.

16. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

For my excel graphs, I set up a 2-point moving average to simulate a line for cases like these.

17. scott451

scott451 KWH-PWR#1349Sprt,S Sig#96

#17 scott451, Jan 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
    The way I do it in excel, is to plot the ESS_V * ESS_I and then plot a trend line through the data. Tomsax has shown that you can use the [integral] of the speed to get a reasonable estimate of the distance. (the odometer log records only come every 10minutes)

Speaking of features, how about a page for battery health: (using data from the perm_daily records)

Histogram of average state of charge (SOC)
    Histogram of Max brick temp
    Histogram of average brick temp
    Histogram of daily miles driven
    Plot of capacity (Ahr) vs days

The daily record is stored in the perm section of the log once a day. It usually has all the data back to the birth of the car. In my case 21 months and 27K miles. Whereas the temp section where the drive and charge records are stored, is only big enough for a few months.

Send me a PM with your email and I can send you the parsing of the daily record.

18. dsm363

Thanks for working on a graphical version of the already great programs people here have put together. Hopefully someone works on a Mac version at some point but I have an old PC laying around that I can turn on when I need it so this works perfectly.

19. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

I assume you meant the integral (wrt time).

20. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I was thinking I might be able to kludge up something like that. That's why I said I would "tinker". Since you already know it works, I'll skip the experiments and just code it up. Thanks. (And the other doug is right... you obviously meant integral.)

Okay, sounds like fun.

Will do.