Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Graphical Log Parser

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TeslaGLOP Version 1.06

A bunch of improvements to Tesla Graphical Log Parser:

- You can now enter a specific date to jump to
- You can now plot temperatures for ESS, Coolant, PEM, and Motor
- Improved the algorithm that recognizes and suppresses plotting of gaps in the log data

Download from TeslaFlux

I still have a bunch of To-Dos on my list... but if you have any requests, please let me know!

It doesn't seem to show the ESS temperature while the car is charging.

I'm getting the temperature information from the "drive 1 minute" record. I think Scott figured that one out.

It looks like a version of ESS temperature is also available from the "charge 30 minute" record. I'll see about adding that. Obviously the time resolution will be somewhat limited.

I still have a bunch of To-Dos on my list... but if you have any requests, please let me know!

Thanks for the update Doug. This is a very cool piece of software and I downloaded it long before I had any logs to look at!

I now pull my logs after any long drives and stare at them for a bit, but due to my inexperience, I haven't really got to the point where I really feel I'm taking advantage of this. There are some features which might be very hard to add and if so please forgive my ignorance. But here are some requests.

1) The option to either split logs by date en masse or to save out the log corresponding to the current view. This would get me over the current problem of having a ton of log files which overlap, many of them covering quite unremarkable drives. Probably being able to split a log into dated individual one-day logs would be most handy.

2) Option to "bookmark" current settings with some corresponding label such as "driving to Princeton to see Model S" or "test drive with so-and-so", so I can jump back to that. The settings could include the log file name, or this could be combined with (1) above and save a named sub-log along with the user preferences.

3) Some way to appreciate the distance traveled graphically. Is this accessible inside the log with any good resolution? If not maybe it could be estimated by integrating the speed curve over time. Then I could see distance and SOC on the same screen, and probably export them to plot one against the other rather than both against time. SOC vs Distance is probably the most interesting plot to me now as I'm learning to drive more efficiently and it will let me gauge my progress without constantly writing down the estimated vs ideal range.

If any of this is already done, I apologise for not R'ing TFM and finding it myself, just set me right on that... Thanks!

P.S. (4), I like the ability to pick the date but a list of available dates would be even better. Either a menu (probably my preferred choice) or a calendar where available dates are bold and clickable. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you're enjoying using it.

1/2 - currently you can jump to a particular date, but you have to load the needed file. I have considered the possibility of letting you load multiple logs simultaneously, sorting the data, deleting the duplicates, and thereby giving you a longer time period to view. I might implement that.

3 - So you want an integrated distance curve? From start of the current plot? I could do that. Right now there is a display of the distance traveled (e.g. left side shows 9625.8 km, right side 9649.0 km +23.2)

4. Nice idea; I'll look into it. (Not sure how useful it will be for me as I drive it on most days!)

Doug

Thanks for the update Doug. This is a very cool piece of software and I downloaded it long before I had any logs to look at!

I now pull my logs after any long drives and stare at them for a bit, but due to my inexperience, I haven't really got to the point where I really feel I'm taking advantage of this. There are some features which might be very hard to add and if so please forgive my ignorance. But here are some requests.

1) The option to either split logs by date en masse or to save out the log corresponding to the current view. This would get me over the current problem of having a ton of log files which overlap, many of them covering quite unremarkable drives. Probably being able to split a log into dated individual one-day logs would be most handy.

2) Option to "bookmark" current settings with some corresponding label such as "driving to Princeton to see Model S" or "test drive with so-and-so", so I can jump back to that. The settings could include the log file name, or this could be combined with (1) above and save a named sub-log along with the user preferences.

3) Some way to appreciate the distance traveled graphically. Is this accessible inside the log with any good resolution? If not maybe it could be estimated by integrating the speed curve over time. Then I could see distance and SOC on the same screen, and probably export them to plot one against the other rather than both against time. SOC vs Distance is probably the most interesting plot to me now as I'm learning to drive more efficiently and it will let me gauge my progress without constantly writing down the estimated vs ideal range.

If any of this is already done, I apologise for not R'ing TFM and finding it myself, just set me right on that... Thanks!

P.S. (4), I like the ability to pick the date but a list of available dates would be even better. Either a menu (probably my preferred choice) or a calendar where available dates are bold and clickable. Thanks again.

3 - So you want an integrated distance curve? From start of the current plot? I could do that. Right now there is a display of the distance traveled (e.g. left side shows 9625.8 km, right side 9649.0 km +23.2)

An integrated distance curve would be ideal; then later on you could even add an "estimated range" line (based on your own algorithm or just the past 40 miles). And the next step from that would be curve of driving efficiency, defined as something like estimated_range / ideal_range. I appreciate this might be a lot of work so I'm just thinking out loud.

4. Nice idea; I'll look into it. (Not sure how useful it will be for me as I drive it on most days!)Doug

Our car gets used most days too but I guess what I'm talking about is some way to find the interesting drives. Maybe you could populate a drop-down menu (or dialog box) with something like this (but better formatted):

20110720 trip 1 : 191.6 miles : -200 Wh/mile
20110720 trip 2 : 2.7 miles : -300 Wh/mile
20110721 trip 1 : 63.2 miles : -219 Wh/mile

That would just make it easier to find the critical trips and weed out the cases where I go to the supermarket to buy one banana :biggrin: ...but these are only suggestions of course. I know what it's like when you're developing software and someone asks for a bunch of wacky features.

It's a real shame the log doesn't include GPS data. Integrating the TeslaGLOP with google maps to show your route and efficiency in different places would be interesting too.

Thanks.

TeslaGLOP Version 1.08 Released

The new V1.08 adds the ability to inspect any point on the graph with the mouse. Simply point the mouse at one of the graphs, and a vertical line appears, corresponding to the mouse position. It will then read off the data point at that position, and display it in the lower right-hand status box (where it usually shows the end-of-graph date/time and mileage).

You can use this, for example, to find out the exact speed you were traveling at a certain point in your trip.

Download from TeslaFlux

More to come!

Doug

TeslaGLOP Version 1.09 Released

The lastest update to the Tesla Graphical Log Parser has some cool new features. (Thanks to Scott451 for suggesting several of them!)

Download from TeslaFlux

New Features

1. You can now select multiple logs at the same time, so you can cover a larger span of dates. The data will be merged together seamlessly. Any overlap is removed automatically. Simply click the Select Log button and use SHIFT or CTRL to select multiple log files.*

2. New menu added; it's the little arrow under the Date button. This brings up a menu with more features:

3. Daily Lowest Brick - shows the lowest brick each day. This should semi-randomly change over time. If it gets stuck on one brick, that brick is under-performing.

4. SOC Histogram - displays a histogram of State of Charge. You can do this for the whole log, or over the currently-selected range of dates.

5. Firmware History - the firmware version is recorded periodically in the log. You can see the version change whenever your firmware was updated.

6. Error Report - displays error reports over the currently-selected range of dates. Right now I've only got a few errors decoded. If anyone has a more extensive list of error messages and codes, please let me know (Scott?)

*Note: the graphs are set up to plot at most 500,000 data points, so in extreme cases you might not be able to see all your data at once.

Please can I ask about the motor temperature shown in the parser. The temperature is denoted as (C), which doesn't change if I switch between metric and imperial. The highest reading it shows from my log is around about 60C. When I'm driving, the "M" (top line) which I presume to be motor temperature on the VDS will usually read between 80 and 100 "C" (top or second from top blue bar).

When I queried Tesla, I was told motor temperature should "average around 60c" and power limited up around "130C" (that was two different people). Anyway none of these numbers make sense. Is the log definitely right or is the Tesla showing it right?

[Edit: Just to add, the PEM and ESS temperatures I see in the Tesla and in the parser do however seem to match, its just the motor temperature]

Last edited:
Hello,
i'm an automotive engineering student from Cranfield University, UK. We are doing a student design project(as part of our course) with a lotus elise as a electric car with range extender. We would like to compare the performance of our car with the Tesla for component sizing. For this we have developed some Matlab models, where we can input the track details and spped-time graphs, and then use that to gauge the capability of the motors and subsequently develop basic control algorithms.

It would be nice if any of you could PM me your 'Track race' data. I have downloaded the parser and couldd view and subsequently extract the data speed-time data logs. it would be great step in our design project if we could actively compare race-track performance of our car with the Tesla and other likes.

Thanks a lot!

Rajesh

Thanks for the updates (I know they were ages ago, but only just found time to play with them).

My "Daily Lowest Brick" has been the same for the last 300 odd readings. Should I be worried?

I have done about 14,000 miles and the A-hr when new was 156. For the first year it went up (159 peak) and for the second year its come down, now at 158. Tiny changes really.

Hey Doug, I have one request and one question.
Could you please implement a Max-Function? Which would show all the max values of the logs, example maximal speed, maximal temperatures etc.
The question is, how can I see how much KW I charged on every day? I need this data.

Could you please implement a Max-Function? Which would show all the max values of the logs, example maximal speed, maximal temperatures etc.
The question is, how can I see how much KW I charged on every day? I need this data.

I'll try to find time to add the max feature. Also min where appropriate.

I assume you're interested in kWh per day? That requires integrating the kW over time. Probably can do that at the same time as the max feature. Maybe call it a "statistics" page.

My parser gives the maximum and average speed on each drive segment, also the approximate net energy used on each drive segment and approximate energy drawn from the wall on each charge segment. You have to run my parser from the command line, so it's not as pretty or friendly as Doug's parser.

More info and download instructions are available on my VMSParser page.