Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla-Great electrical and mechanical engineers but poor interior and function design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have become a little weary of Tesla software updates. They are marginal increments of Navigation, mostly new chargers, charging routes, quickest way to charging stations etc.
Why are simple features (alternate routes, avoid toll roads, etc) that are available even in the cheapest GPS gadgets not available for Model S. I love my Model S but I think Tesla is not listening to some of its customers.
My previous Lincoln MKZ or Lexus ES300 had better navigation, voice control, telephone features.
Tesla is a great car but when you pay close to 100K, gizmos and gadgets are important too, in addition to the need for speed.

I have become a little weary of Tesla software updates. They are marginal increments of Navigation, mostly new chargers, charging routes, quickest way to charging stations etc.
Why are simple features (alternate routes, avoid toll roads, etc) that are available even in the cheapest GPS gadgets not available for Model S. I love my Model S but I think Tesla is not listening to some of its customers.
My previous Lincoln MKZ or Lexus ES300 had better navigation, voice control, telephone features.
Tesla is a great car but when you pay close to 100K, gizmos and gadgets are important too, in addition to the need for speed.

I couldn't agree more with this.

I suspect a lot of the updates are bug fixes and security patches. But I agree that there is a lot missing. Individual tire pressure readings, iPod support, basic Nav options that you already mentioned etc. etc.

I believe they have implemented individual tire pressure readings already but yes I agree with the sentiment in many basic navigation features missing...

Agreed with all of the above. I keep waiting for them to catch up with basic tech in most cars for the past 5 years. Phone integration is very weak too. My wife's 2013 Ford would read a text msg to her then she could dictate a response is necessary, all hands free. Tesla wont even show you the msg on the screen.

At this point, I'd settle for Tesla not screwing up what they've already released. They've now managed to introduce regressions in key areas (charging, throttle response, and with the leaked 7.0 UI, dashboard information) more than once.

The software team isn't properly run. Whoever designed the initial software actually did a really good job -- the original UI is brilliant, the original throttle response is perfect -- but many of the updates have not been well-handled.

Was there a staffing change?

IMHO there's something really messed up with Tesla's software department.

Perhaps it's focus is lasered in on things like regen, traction control, etc. that actually have to do with making the car work, but it's like the old days when electrical engineers ran software departments. The non-essential software such as the navigation, entertainment, comfort, etc. systems is really not much beyond freshman hacker level. I've never worked at a company that would have released that navigation system, and I've worked at some pretty screwed up companies!

Additionally, again IMHO, the entire UI paradigm is very poor, bordering on dangerous. It appears designed to look impressive with big animated pictures of the car, and it might be quite usable on a desktop with a mouse. Unfortunately, when driving, it's often a good idea to keep one's main attention on the road, and often when in motion, one's finger is waving about. The tiny window controls at the bottom left corner or the 12 point letters allowing you to select an artist on the far right of the media interface are pretty small targets, making it all too necessary to move focus from the road to the screen. Even the home link list and the climate control sliders are too small. What exactly are they saving the screen space for in the popups?

While we really like the car a lot, both my software engineer wife and I are constantly dumbfounded by the car's software.

At this point, I'd settle for Tesla not screwing up what they've already released. They've now managed to introduce regressions in key areas (charging, throttle response, and with the leaked 7.0 UI, dashboard information) more than once.

The software team isn't properly run. Whoever designed the initial software actually did a really good job -- the original UI is brilliant, the original throttle response is perfect -- but many of the updates have not been well-handled.

I have noticed this too. Other than the vampire problem(which is better now but still there), the software that my car came with 4.2, was much more usable than the now 6.2. They screwed up things that worked well, and most of the so called improvements have been fluff.

Ford's software department is larger and has more employees than the entire Tesla manufacturing and design group combined. They are essentially a little, but fast growing auto manufacturer.
It would be unfair to ask them to keep pace with every auto manufacturer out there and have the best of everything.

It has been said that they are making over 20 running changes every week to improve the car. Most of these improvements are quietly integrated into the car, where the buyer reaps the benefit with little fanfare.

Reports are constantly being posted as to how the latest production cars are better quality than the earlier ones. Expect to see this continue.

When software improvements are pushed out to owners cars, not all the improvements are disclosed in detail. I imagine we are getting better controlled cars with every update without even being aware.

Some of Ford's cars, like the explorer are essentially the same vehicle they have been making for 20 years. A little fresh sheet metal, transmissions with more gears, engines with a little better electronics, and better GPS units. They still guzzle lots of fuel, pollute the atmosphere, and generally shuttle around one or two people in a very inefficient manner.

Think Tesla is going their own way, and are offering a far better mode of personal transportation that that offered by most other manufacturers.

Believe the best form of drivers aids will be not the latest built in electronic systems, but the ability to plug in your far superior smart phone to provide more up to date and more advanced GPS and communications that the built in systems currently in competitive autos.

I would not be surprised if Tesla is not working closely with Apple and Google to integrate these systems.

Ford's software department is larger and has more employees than the entire Tesla manufacturing and design group combined. They are essentially a little, but fast growing auto manufacturer.
It would be unfair to ask them to keep pace with every auto manufacturer out there and have the best of everything.

It has been said that they are making over 20 running changes every week to improve the car. Most of these improvements are quietly integrated into the car, where the buyer reaps the benefit with little fanfare.

Reports are constantly being posted as to how the latest production cars are better quality than the earlier ones. Expect to see this continue.

When software improvements are pushed out to owners cars, not all the improvements are disclosed in detail. I imagine we are getting better controlled cars with every update without even being aware.

Some of Ford's cars, like the explorer are essentially the same vehicle they have been making for 20 years. A little fresh sheet metal, transmissions with more gears, engines with a little better electronics, and better GPS units. They still guzzle lots of fuel, pollute the atmosphere, and generally shuttle around one or two people in a very inefficient manner.

Think Tesla is going their own way, and are offering a far better mode of personal transportation that that offered by most other manufacturers.

Believe the best form of drivers aids will be not the latest built in electronic systems, but the ability to plug in your far superior smart phone to provide more up to date and more advanced GPS and communications that the built in systems currently in competitive autos.

I would not be surprised if Tesla is not working closely with Apple and Google to integrate these systems.

This is a good point and don't forget with Mercedes having no shortage of funds and surely a massive software development team, their navigation system and the "Command Interface" is still a clunky mess after decades of development. In that regards I think Tesla has accomplished the seemingly impossible in completely reinventing the car UI and have it turn out to be better than what anyone else has.

I think they need to focus less on fluff and more on improving core features such as capabilities of the navigation system and the media player.

I have noticed this too. Other than the vampire problem(which is better now but still there), the software that my car came with 4.2, was much more usable than the now 6.2. They screwed up things that worked well, and most of the so called improvements have been fluff.

Not sure I'd go this far. While the trip planner has a long way to go, it's certainly a welcome addition over 4.x. Same with auto SpC station updates, backup guidelines, etc. there is a LOT of functionality that has been added since 4.x

Can you elaborate on the specifics behind your statement?

YES! YES!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The regen has been NASTY too... Even worse on the autopilot cars. The loaner I have right now.... Hesitates (at least feels like it) when it goes into regen. I suspect this is to reduce the "whiplash effect: when going into regen, but, it's completly un-intuitive. The throttle response is laggy and no longer snappy, and CANT STAND THE CHARGE CURRENT REDUCTION!!!!!!!! WHAT A PAIN IN THE BACKSIDE!

Unfair?

Reports are codnstantly being posted as to how the latest production cars are better quality than the earlier ones. Expect to see this continue.

unfair? Is it fair to charge 100K when they are not ready with the product? At this point, the thrill is gone.

The thrill is gone??? Wow I'm about to go on a 4 hour drive for work and I can't wait to drive. Almost 30k on the odometer and still giddy like a 16 year old with their first car. Maybe I'm just nuts or brain damaged.

Im all for giving constructive feedback to Tesla and I get some people are upset with delays in autopilot and not enough power over 60 in the P85D but the counter to all of this is that a base 2013 S60 is still more fun to drive than a maxed out 7 series or S class.

Does anyone think tesla is purposely misleading people or sitting around jerking off? This is a collection of the most progressive and hard working and brilliant set of people in the automotive industry today. I say give them a break, let them get the X out and if in 2017 you are still pissed about your constantly improving car then send letters and picket in the streets.

Now off to drive in my dream car. Gnight.

YES! YES!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The regen has been NASTY too... Even worse on the autopilot cars. The loaner I have right now.... Hesitates (at least feels like it) when it goes into regen. I suspect this is to reduce the "whiplash effect: when going into regen, but, it's completly un-intuitive. The throttle response is laggy and no longer snappy, and CANT STAND THE CHARGE CURRENT REDUCTION!!!!!!!! WHAT A PAIN IN THE BACKSIDE!

Have not noticed a laggy throttle response. Charge current reduction can be annoying, but it happens rarely.

Did the car work the way you expected it to work when you purchased it? (minus the anger about autopilot)

One thing I tell people is that this is the only car that can get better after it leaves the lot. I hate my Acura navigation system, because it's stuck the way it is forever. I can only get a map update and I have to pay for it. So I never ever use it.

Now... with the Tesla, there is hope for improvements and I don't believe they are sitting there with a middle finger at us not releasing things on purpose.

Perhaps having the hope for improvement has spoiled us too much?

The car didn't have Valet mode, it didn't have to have valet mode, we wanted valet mode. Other mfgs you would have to buy a new car model when they released it with valet mode. With the Tesla, there's a chance it will come out at some time, unless it requires hardware....

Do I want more? Yep! Am I glad I actually have the chance for more? Heck yeah!