TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Grey or Satin Black Powder Coat Wheels? (pearl white M3)

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by omar, Mar 29, 2018.

?

What color to powder coat wheels on Pearl White M3

1. Dark Grey

55 vote(s)
    51.4%
  2. Satin Black

52 vote(s)
    48.6%
  1. omar

omar Member

Hello,

I have an upcoming appointment to powder coat my wheels and I can't decide! I like the look of the satin black rims (there's a lot of pictures online for reference). I have yet to seen anyone powder coat their wheels dark grey like the 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels that come with the model s. I'm leaning more towards dark grey just because I feel grey features the design of the wheel a little better as opposed to a monolithic look with the black... any thoughts? I have a pearl white model 3.

Black:

DSC01660-S.jpg

Grey:

D7bzD1k.jpg

2. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

This is highly subjective and would help if you specified what color car you are choosing.

3. SMAlset

SMAlset Well-Known Member

#3 SMAlset, Mar 29, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    He said Pearl white in the poll and title.

Have you already blacked out your trim? Not 100% sure the photo above is your car. I happen to like the silver trim as is in which case I would go with the dark gray and glossy. I've always admired the originals on the Model S. That anyway would be my preference. I also like the design pattern on the metal of the wheels on the 19inch better than the gray wheels that come with the Aero capped 18inch version.

Now if you already have blacked out the trim I think the gray/black color contast would not look that great. I would go glossy black over flat though I think. If you are spending $s to powder coat the wheels might as well showcase the wheels instead of them blending into the rubber of the wheels and looking like one big black hole from a distance. As you can tell, not my favorite look ;).

• Like x 3
  4. Boludo

Boludo Member

For white, I'd say satin black. That one picture of the white TM3 is not a good one because its all too dark to see the wheels. Is there much of a benefit with going powder coat over paint (heated)? Seems that many just do the paint job and claim just as good as powder coat. Just curious myself.

• Like x 1
  5. omar

omar Member

Totally agree! Haven't blacked out the trim and if I go grey I wont. Thanks for your insight

• Like x 1
  6. omar

omar Member

Not sure... luckily I'm in the bay area and I've booked an appointment at OCDetailing which deals with M3s all time. I'll make sure to ask.

Thanks for your response.

7. Boludo

Boludo Member

It would be interesting to see back to back photos satin black vs. glossy black. I lean toward satin but I also think glossy could show the wheel and contrast better against the rubber.

• Like x 1
  8. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Black wheels are so overdone and outdated trend in my opinion. Dark grey, titanium, whatever you want to call it is still tasteful, yet adds some color and something different than just plain silver wheels.

• Like x 5
    • Disagree x 1
  9. omar

omar Member

Finally got the rims coated (also 40% tint all around). Went with "tesla turbine grey". Thanks everyone for your input!

IMG_1879.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like x 13
    • Love x 5
  10. atlas310

atlas310 Member

Looks really good.

• Like x 1
  11. omar

omar Member

Thanks!

12. dhu1

dhu1 Member

where did you go to get it done?

13. omar

omar Member

OCDetailing in Fremont. Cost was $800 (about $200 a wheel).

14. dhu1

dhu1 Member

thanks....how long did it take?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see on their website it says 1-2 days....

15. omar

omar Member

Took it in at noon one day and got it back the next day at noon. Close to Fremont BART and they'll give you a ride there when you drop it off.

16. TKB_PA-C

TKB_PA-C Member

That’s exactly what I am wanting to do for my white 3. Could you please post more pics when you get a chance? Looks great!

• Like x 1
  17. omar

omar Member

Here's a couple more pics. First pic is the closest one I have of the wheel (before I put the center cap on, fresh out of the shop). Second pic it looks more satin black in the shadows and the third pic looks more grey in the light. Taken same day. IMG_1852.jpg

IMG_1868.jpg IMG_1871.jpg

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  18. John Lamoureux

John Lamoureux l Parzival l

Looks awesome!

As I live in NE and will have snow tires, I'll probably go with EVT or TSportline gray turbines on my main set and keep the aeros (uncovered!) for my snow tires.

• Like x 1
  19. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Looks great, good choice!

• Like x 1
  20. Boludo

Boludo Member

Looks fantastic Omar!

Do you guys have any recommendations in San Diego area for something similar to what Omar did?

• Like x 1