TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla grows into their new HQ

Discussion in 'News' started by TEG, Apr 16, 2010.

1. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Tesla draws on tech world’s expertise as it looks to electrify the automotive industry
    (Umm... isn't the "$49,900" version the base model with 160 mile range?
    I think the 300 mile range version will need over 5 hours for full charge.
    90kWh / 16.8kW (HPC) = 5.3 hours)

2. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

Don't mind those pesky details... :)
    What is really important in bigger scheme is this:
    Obviously batteries don't die in a week and cars don't fall apart in a month.
    This covers much of the naysayers "arguments".

3. Albern

Albern Member

This was news to me.

Also, the 0-60 time of 5.5 to 6.0 seconds; where did they get that from? If I remember correctly, Model S was planned to be less that 6 while Model S Sport was around 5 or less.

4. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

The math seems to be average only 3000 miles per vehicle so far.
    (3,000,000 miles total / 1,000 vehicles )

All the new ones and ones barely driven averaged against the daily drivers with 10s of thousands of miles.

Someday someone will post pix of an odometer with > 100,000 miles.

5. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Wait, did I miss something? Did they finally settle on a location for the factory and this is it? I thought things were still in the air there

6. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Palo Alto is likely corporate HQ and power train factory. (Assemble battery packs, etc.)

Some location in LA, possibly Downey, is expected to be the Model S "factory" location and possibly new design studio (if it moves out of SpaceX).

I am not sure what exactly they would do in the SoCal "factory". Would they make chassis there? Maybe it would be more like "final assembly" which receives chassis parts, drivetrain parts, and other assemblies that are made elsewhere and assembles them into the finished vehicles?

7. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

ah OK, I thought maybe I'd missed an announcement that they settled on a location

8. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

#8 tdelta1000, Apr 18, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
    It's interest that Tesla is using the new location as an HQ and the Drive train facility. I'm thinking this will keep TMs cost low.

It could be view as a move to generate revenue before the Model S goes into full production. I think its a good move to have something going on instead of nothing at all.

OK.. TM when will you guys tell us that Downey is the permanent site for the Model S factory???? The deal is basically done.

9. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

If so, prolly after the IPO

10. PopSmith

PopSmith Saving for a Model 3

A 5.5-6.0 second range is technically a (mostly) correct guess as it's under six seconds. :tongue: