Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Habits ---- argh!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People told me this would happen - but after less than 3 months of Tesla ownership, I have already developed habits that make it hard to drive an ICE car:
  • Getting out of the car and forgetting that I have to turn it off and take the key
  • Starting to drive the ICE with the parking brake still on
  • Using cruise control and coming up fast on the next car and brake hard because it's not TACC
  • Having to hold the car in the lane manually while driving on the interstate
I had my wife's ICE and when I went to leave work, I was about to bring up the app and turn the A/C on remotely... but then I realized, I could turn it on but the Tesla would be somewhere else! And then... once in the car - I realized... I was almost out of gas.

Yeah, I can relate to many of these. I regularly forget to turn off my wife's car. I don't think to look at the gas gauge (although I did make it 12+ months without getting gas once).

Also, my wife's car, with "creep", feels a bit out of control to me. It is strange to me that it just keeps driving with my foot off of the gas. It catches me off guard here and there.

And then at times I have to brake too hard because the car doesn't slow down much on its own.

Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Yeah, I can relate to many of these. I regularly forget to turn off my wife's car. I don't think to look at the gas gauge (although I did make it 12+ months without getting gas once).

Also, my wife's car, with "creep", feels a bit out of control to me. It is strange to me that it just keeps driving with my foot off of the gas. It catches me off guard here and there.

And then at times I have to brake too hard because the car doesn't slow down much on its own.
I just left the key on Accessory in my wife's car. Ran the battery down overnight in the garage. I left the next morning on a business trip and when I landed had a lovely text telling you what I had done. Oh the shame:eek:

• Funny
Reactions: STbreaker
I'm still waiting for the M3 but I just got back from vacation, had a rental ICE with keys as well. I drive a Prius with a smart key, my 'problem' was I kept trying to hit the Button on the dash to start/stop the rental. Then there were those pesky Keys that kept poking me in my pocket!

I did most of that.

The biggest thing for me now is hill hold. I press the brake in my wife's car, get distracted, and wtf? why is everyone rolling backwards. O *sugar*, I'm rolling forward!

My wife and I were traveling and I was driving a rental ICE. We were leaving our hotel one morning; I slapped my pocket and told my wife "I think I left the keys in the car overnight." Then I realized that if I had left the keys in the car, I had probably left it running. We found it in the parking lot, merrily idling away.

I did the exact same thing recently. Left my wife's ICE running for several hours in a parking lot while we had lunch, did some shopping, etc. Panicked when I couldn't find the keys, then realized I must have left them in the car out of habit, then realized that the only way they'd still be in the car was if I left them in the ignition....with the car still running. Sure enough, got back to the car idling in the parking lot with the doors unlocked. Oops.

Depends on what features your ICE car has...many modern cars have keyless entry/start, hill hold, parking sensors and assisted cruise control features.
Turning on/off ICE car is a definitely a stumbling point for me (takes a second to figure out why car is not moving yet after the break pedal has been pressed!?), and I also find my self over-revving my wife's car, being used to instant and consistent torque in MS.

Reactions: privater
People told me this would happen - but after less than 3 months of Tesla ownership, I have already developed habits that make it hard to drive an ICE car:
  • Getting out of the car and forgetting that I have to turn it off and take the key
  • Starting to drive the ICE with the parking brake still on
  • [...]
I still catch myself doing those two things once in a while when driving my wife's ICE SUV

in addition, I sometimes do this when driving the SUV:
  • slowing to a stop, preparing to parallel park and then flicking the windshield wiper lever (right stalk) trying to put the car in reverse :oops:

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
It takes me some fumbling to figure out how to start my other cars. I push brake pedal, look for the stalk, realize I'm in not in the Tesla. Go to move the shift lever out of Park and realize the car isn't on. Look around for the push button to finally get it started. Nothing happens. Forgot I took my foot off the brake. Ugh!

It takes me some fumbling to figure out how to start my other cars. I push brake pedal, look for the stalk, realize I'm in not in the Tesla. Go to move the shift lever out of Park and realize the car isn't on. Look around for the push button to finally get it started. Nothing happens. Forgot I took my foot off the brake. Ugh!

I sold my ICE vehicle about a week after taking delivery of my Model X. All I had to do was drive my ICE vehicle across the city and drop it off. I figured, that's simple! First I forgot my keys in the house, then I forgot to turn the car on. Finally got it running and couldn't remember where the gear shifter was. It was an experience I hope to never have again.

I do however worry about remembering that "creep mode" is always on, on ICE vehicles. I can picture myself rolling into another car at a light or worse yet... Accelerating into them..

• Funny
Reactions: Austin Powers
Driving and almost forgetting to shut the car off is the biggest one. Just had spark plugs and minor muffler work done cost 700 bucks !!! Makes Teslas service bi annually cheap ! Can't wait to have both cars electric.
Spent 30 min of my life won't get back and 100 bucks on an oil change !!! Valvoline, they do other stuff too.
Drive ICE cars safely everybody ! It truly is a whole different experience.

I did most of that.

The biggest thing for me now is hill hold. I press the brake in my wife's car, get distracted, and wtf? why is everyone rolling backwards. O *sugar*, I'm rolling forward!
I use hill hold at every light, so that I don't have to keep my foot on the brake. On the ICE, now I am putting the car into park at lights, because I can no longer stand to sit there, holding the brake pedal down. How easily we get spoiled...