TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla half-grin, delivery question

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Wuggado?, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Wuggado?

Wuggado? Member

Today has definitely been a good day. Took a test drive of the 90D, came back and immediately placed our order:

Midnight Silver
    Autopilot
    Premium upgrade
    Grey next-gen seats
    Black Alcantara
    Pano roof

Now for the delivery question. They told us delivery would be mid to late June. I seem to remember there being a lot of chatter about how they had a mad rush to deliver cars before the end of Q1, and thus delivery quality may have suffered a bit. If this was your car would you take delivery mid to late June as planned or push it off to say mid July? As much as I am ready to turn the half-grin into a full-grin, I would rather do it in a way that maximizes the build quality.

Thanks,
    Wuggado?

• Like x 1
  2. Fiver

Fiver Member

At this point I feel that the S is pretty much dialed in for manufacturing quality. There may be a few tiny tiny issues but no more than any other car.

X's on the other hand...

• Like x 2
  3. syosh

syosh Member

I was one of those customers that got pushed through for Q1. No build or quality issues so far so I wouldn't be concerned. Making an S is pretty routine for the factory at this point.

Not sure if this is specifically the result of an accelerated schedule but OCDetail in Walnut Creek did mention they had to do quite a bit of paint correction before applying Opti-Coat. However, I think that's pretty normal when coming from the factory paint shop.

4. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I had the same fear with my 9-30-14 delivery. But I have not had any excessive or clearly quality related issues. The finish was a bit scuffed and sloppy looking, which is a common issue. But I was having the car polished and sealed the next day. So I didn't care.

5. pedriscoll

pedriscoll True Blue Tesla Fan

I took delivery of mine on 6/23/15. No problems of any significance in 17000 miles.
    Don't worry. Just enjoy the car!!

6. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

Looks like we have practically the same car! I don't think you have anything to worth about...

7. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

I do wonder if these after market detailers over-state the "challenges" of their work in order to justify their business and pricing models? Just wondering out loud about this...no harm meant by this statement.

Enjoy the wait for your Tesla, it's a brilliant car, well worth it. I used our waiting time for delivery last year to plan a road trip, cheers!

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  8. David29

David29 Member

Mine was delivered near the end of Q3 2015 (September 23) and has been perfect.

9. Wuggado?

Wuggado? Member

Thanks for all the replies. Glad to hear that the end of the quarter doesn't seem any more problematic than any other time. Now....where to go to first? So many possibilities. I'm thinking a drive along the coast would be worthwhile.

10. John Stuckey

John Stuckey Member

We got ours in December of 15. No issues. Have fun.

11. csshih

csshih whirrrr

if you're a perfectionist, don't look too closely at your paint. Otherwise you'll be fine!

12. Beryl

Beryl Member

12/15 here and no serious problems. Everything was put right in short order.

13. shonline

shonline Member

I got pushed for Q1. Car is flawless. Congrats!