Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla half-grin, delivery question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today has definitely been a good day. Took a test drive of the 90D, came back and immediately placed our order:

Midnight Silver
Autopilot
Premium upgrade
Grey next-gen seats
Black Alcantara
Pano roof

Now for the delivery question. They told us delivery would be mid to late June. I seem to remember there being a lot of chatter about how they had a mad rush to deliver cars before the end of Q1, and thus delivery quality may have suffered a bit. If this was your car would you take delivery mid to late June as planned or push it off to say mid July? As much as I am ready to turn the half-grin into a full-grin, I would rather do it in a way that maximizes the build quality.

Thanks,
Wuggado?

Reactions: ModelX
I was one of those customers that got pushed through for Q1. No build or quality issues so far so I wouldn't be concerned. Making an S is pretty routine for the factory at this point.

Not sure if this is specifically the result of an accelerated schedule but OCDetail in Walnut Creek did mention they had to do quite a bit of paint correction before applying Opti-Coat. However, I think that's pretty normal when coming from the factory paint shop.

I had the same fear with my 9-30-14 delivery. But I have not had any excessive or clearly quality related issues. The finish was a bit scuffed and sloppy looking, which is a common issue. But I was having the car polished and sealed the next day. So I didn't care.

Today has definitely been a good day. Took a test drive of the 90D, came back and immediately placed our order:

Midnight Silver
Autopilot
Premium upgrade
Grey next-gen seats
Black Alcantara
Pano roof

Now for the delivery question. They told us delivery would be mid to late June. I seem to remember there being a lot of chatter about how they had a mad rush to deliver cars before the end of Q1, and thus delivery quality may have suffered a bit. If this was your car would you take delivery mid to late June as planned or push it off to say mid July? As much as I am ready to turn the half-grin into a full-grin, I would rather do it in a way that maximizes the build quality.

Thanks,
Wuggado?
Looks like we have practically the same car! I don't think you have anything to worth about...

OCDetail in Walnut Creek did mention they had to do quite a bit of paint correction before applying Opti-Coat. However, I think that's pretty normal when coming from the factory paint shop.

I do wonder if these after market detailers over-state the "challenges" of their work in order to justify their business and pricing models? Just wondering out loud about this...no harm meant by this statement.

Enjoy the wait for your Tesla, it's a brilliant car, well worth it. I used our waiting time for delivery last year to plan a road trip, cheers!

• Informative
Reactions: Krebnarb and Vitold