TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla halts center screen replacements

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Keith909man, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Keith909man

Keith909man Member

While at the Seattle Service Center for minor work, I asked about the status of getting a new replacement screen for the yellow bending. Yellow bend showed up again on my car a month after I got the screen replaced for the same issue.
    The Service guy had informed me that they just received an email from higher Tesla that they should not accept any more repairs for screen replacements at this time. The reasoning was because Tesla has a new screen in the works that will permanently resolve this on going issue. Something to do with the liner in between the glass that causes the yellowing. Expected time for new screens are sometime this Summer. He mentioned I can try to get it replaced still if I really push for it but the same problem could still occur on the current gen screens.. Which it did on my replacement screen..

So if you happen to have the Yellowing, standby a few months for a permanent fix.

• Informative x 22
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  2. Bmac

Bmac Member

Same information from the service center in Devon Pennsylvania. I was on the schedule to have my MCU replaced two weeks ago when the mobile service unit called and told me the same thing and mentioned that the replacements probably won't be available until summer 2019.

• Informative x 2
  3. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Lol... I read the first post and say, cool. Then I read the second one, and say, WTF 6-8 months?! OMG is the only response to that.

A new part coming makes you think a few weeks, not half a year.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  4. PhilDavid

PhilDavid Member

It totally makes sense to wait until summer when they have the new screen without needlessly wasting Tesla resources and your own time.

Wonder if they have figured out a way to do this with a lower cost so they can dismantle the MCU and just replace the screen glass, as I assume the LCD and the rest of the components are still fine.

Anyone who does not have 4G, should consolidate the 4G upgrade with the screen fix if you want to do the 4G update anyway.

• Like x 1
  5. PhilDavid

PhilDavid Member

It's not THAT long of a time. I also think it is the warm weather that exacerbates this issue and sounds like in time for warm weather 2019 they will have a solution.

6. Keith909man

Keith909man Member

I’m pretty sure they were just replacing just the LCD in recent months instead of the whole unit. So no free LTE upgrades

7. PhilDavid

PhilDavid Member

Haven't some people not been charged the usual labor amount since they are taking the screen apart anyway?

8. Superendo

Superendo Member

From a narrow viewpoint you can understand why Tesla wants to wait till there is a perfect solution. From a customer point of view it is absurd that it is still not resolved and you have to wait 6 months or more

In the mean time all new cars have the same ingrained problem with their screens.....

• Like x 2
  9. agloutney

agloutney Member

I have the yellowing border issue but I’d rather wait till the permanent solution comes along than do the switch twice. I bought a Tesla to reduce my carbon footprint. Replacing something twice seems to go against my own philosophy. I can live with the yellow border for a few months given functionality is fine.

• Like x 10
    • Helpful x 1
    • Love x 1
  10. CRASHER

CRASHER Member

Just got my screen replaced today @ Mississauga SC in Canada.

11. scottycs

scottycs Member

My navigation isnt working properly (freezes, wrong location, "maps not loaded"). After 4 visits, they keep replacing parts and have not corrected the issue. I am taking the car back in next Tuesday and they said they needed the car for 1-2 weeks, I was wondering why they just wouldn't replace the MCU.....

12. Vinc

Vinc Member

Awesome! After waiting for weeks on other unrelated parts and declining doing it earlier, I finally had an appointment to replace it tomorrow. Oh well, if they truly find the right fix...

13. outdoors

outdoors Member

Got mine replaced today. Said I was willing to wait for a permanent fix. They said they would rather replace. I deferred to their judgement.
    Was an awesome 4 year service for a 15 month old car. :)

14. jdjeff88

jdjeff88 Member

Mine was replaced yesterday after a 2 month wait.

15. swegman

swegman Active Member

My screen is scheduled to be replaced by a ranger on Dec 6 due to the yellow banding. New sceeen was ordered 8 days ago. My screen was previously replaced in June of this year.

If anyone needs a new screen now, I would get it replaced at this time instead of waiting 6 months for the new design. 6 month Tesla time could be 2 plus years in real time. But if you do decide to wait, make sure they document the issue so you are not charged for a new screen down the road if your warranty on the car runs out in the meantime.

• Like x 1
  16. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

The early production models had adhesive problems between the touchscreen membrane and the display, resulting in air bubbles forming on the display. This was cosmetic and didn't appear to prevent operation of the touchscreen or display. Tesla replaced the MCU/display on our 2012 S P85 after 50K miles (extended warranty).

The newer models are also having adhesive problems. This time it is a yellow band that appears after time around the outer edge of the console display. Again, this doesn't appear to affect operation of the display - and is really only visible when a white/light background is being displayed. For our 2017 S 100D, they've already replaced the MCU/display twice - and, at least so far, the latest replacement isn't showing the problem.

The V9 software change to the UI reduces the impact of the banding. Most drivers typically show the satellite maps or use the dark background "night mode" maps - the yellow band is not very detectable on these maps. Windows for settings, media player, browser, … are now displayed inset slightly ontop of the map - so the light background of the windows doesn't go all the way to the edge of the display, reducing the risk the yellow band would even be detected. Though, if you use "day mode" and turn off satellite imaging, you'll get a light background map - which will make the yellow band extremely visible.

Clearly Tesla has had issues with their touchscreen provider. The second generation touchscreens have been better, not exhibiting the air bubbles - but not there yet with the adhesive discoloring over time.

A challenge for Tesla may be the large area for the touchscreens - larger than other manufacturers are using in vehicles - and that could be why Tesla's parts supplier have not been able to get this right - so far.

17. Oldschool496

Oldschool496 Member

I have been following this screen issue for a while. Still unsure completely what is happening to others.

This is my condition. Its only real prevalent when you turn the gain all the way down and its over 90 degrees outside. Even then if you turn the gain all the way up its hardly visible, but I can barely see it. At night I cannot see a thing, its gone altogether.

My car is April 2016 build 75D.

Attached Files:

18. badboy1980

badboy1980 Member

I have the same issue. I might ask my local SC their advice.

19. WaitingForY

WaitingForY Banned

is the screen yellowing really obvious to spot?

20. badboy1980

badboy1980 Member

It’s obvious to me. Lines down the sides and on the top.