Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla halts center screen replacements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
7468ADE3-647F-4279-A022-A1033DF5CF18.jpeg

What brightness level did/do you guys with replaced screens keep the setting at? I have been in a couple of loaner cars that where set pretty high and I could literally feel the heat being produced. We have an S and an X and keep them set to 35% fixed (not on auto) which is more than bright enough and produces no screen heat. Just curious if there is any correlation other than happenstance.

i'm attempting to buy a 2018 100D service loaner from Tesla right now and one of the issues I have is yellow edge around the screen. I've asked them to put in writing they'll fix before I sign the contract, but I'd be happy to wait for the permanent fix if they put it in writing that it will be fixed once that becomes available.. In fact, I'd probably prefer the perm fix over doing a temp swap that could come back and need to get fixed again. Such a hassle switching cars even if they give me a nice/upgraded loaner.... I'd rather avoid that if it isn't something that will get permanently fixed the first time.

i'm attempting to buy a 2018 100D service loaner from Tesla right now and one of the issues I have is yellow edge around the screen. I've asked them to put in writing they'll fix before I sign the contract, but I'd be happy to wait for the permanent fix if they put it in writing that it will be fixed once that becomes available.. In fact, I'd probably prefer the perm fix over doing a temp swap that could come back and need to get fixed again. Such a hassle switching cars even if they give me a nice/upgraded loaner.... I'd rather avoid that if it isn't something that will get permanently fixed the first time.

Why would you need something in writing other than the warranty? You aren't buying it as-is are you?

Why would you need something in writing other than the warranty? You aren't buying it as-is are you?
It's a service loaner. Asking for them to commit to fixing it in writing is just being extra careful. I just don't want to get into a back and forth about this being normal or within spec when we know it isn't. I'm not asking them to fix it before I sign the contract, but I am asking them to commit to fixing it at some reasonable date in the future (say q1 2019)... although if the perm fix takes longer than that I can probably wait on that rather than waste their time swapping for temp fix. That is assuming it doesn't get any worse than it currently is.

I'm not asking them to fix it before I sign the contract, but I am asking them to commit to fixing it at some reasonable date in the future (say q1 2019)... although if the perm fix takes longer than that I can probably wait on that rather than waste their time swapping for temp fix. That is assuming it doesn't get any worse than it currently is.

Given that the latest estimate is that the new screen design won't be available to summer, and that the yellowing is likely to get worse by then. So if it will bother you a lot you might not want to buy a Tesla until after the new screen design is out. (Though I personally don't see how a yellow border around the screen would significantly impact my use/enjoyment of the car.)

Has Tesla said this is not covered under warranty or are they just delaying until the new MCUs are out?

Tesla just wants to delay until they have a redesigned screen available that doesn't suffer from this problem. (Some people have gone through 3, or more, screens so far only for the problem to come back.)

There has been no hint of a new MCU coming out. (Both MCU1 and MCU2 cars suffer from this problem.)

It's a service loaner. Asking for them to commit to fixing it in writing is just being extra careful. I just don't want to get into a back and forth about this being normal or within spec when we know it isn't. I'm not asking them to fix it before I sign the contract, but I am asking them to commit to fixing it at some reasonable date in the future (say q1 2019)... although if the perm fix takes longer than that I can probably wait on that rather than waste their time swapping for temp fix. That is assuming it doesn't get any worse than it currently is.
I'm doing the same thing (buying a service loaner S100D) but haven't seen the car. I'm confident if it has this problem they'll fix it under warranty.

Given that the latest estimate is that the new screen design won't be available to summer, and that the yellowing is likely to get worse by then. So if it will bother you a lot you might not want to buy a Tesla until after the new screen design is out. (Though I personally don't see how a yellow border around the screen would significantly impact my use/enjoyment of the car.)

Yes... but. Optics. Many ICE drivers are starting to truly hear about Tesla now. Some approach me to ask about this new (to me) Model S. The massive screen catches their attention because, well it should. But... what is with the yellow frame? And then you have to explain that it should not really be there... that it is a known issue... that it will get figured out soon...

Tesla sent me an email this morning to confirm my Thursday ranger service for replacement of the screen due to the yellow banding. Not sure why some people are being told they need to wait for a new screen design. Remember that all estimate dates are Tesla time, meaning if they say a new screen design is expected in June, it could be December (or even June 2020) before the redesigned screens ship.

For those expecting to get a new MCU with the screen, you will be disappointed. Tesla only replaces the screen, not the whole unit.

Reactions: RedOctober
What brightness level did/do you guys with replaced screens keep the setting at? I have been in a couple of loaner cars that where set pretty high and I could literally feel the heat being produced. We have an S and an X and keep them set to 35% fixed (not on auto) which is more than bright enough and produces no screen heat. Just curious if there is any correlation other than happenstance.

I keep it on AUTO... which, you know, makes sense and should not cause a damn problem. Obviously this isn't Tesla's fault, it's the display supplier. I paid a lot of money for this car. They can afford to put in a screen that can operate at 100% brightness and not cause an issue (if 100% brightness isn't "safe" for the display, then lower what 100% actually is).

Tesla sent me an email this morning to confirm my Thursday ranger service for replacement of the screen due to the yellow banding. Not sure why some people are being told they need to wait for a new screen design. Remember that all estimate dates are Tesla time, meaning if they say a new screen design is expected in June, it could be December (or even June 2020) before the redesigned screens ship.

For those expecting to get a new MCU with the screen, you will be disappointed. Tesla only replaces the screen, not the whole unit.

I'll wait for the new part. I'd rather have the dash touched only 1 time for a replacement instead of multiple times like some people are going through, not to mention the inconvenience of taking the car in or having mobile service come out. No point in replacing it with another display that is going to do the same thing.

i'm attempting to buy a 2018 100D service loaner from Tesla right now .....snip.......
ya never know .... maybe they used it as a service loaner because the original person who ordered it got rid of it because of things like the yellow border and half shaft shudder - one of the other unfixed things that owners have been putting up with for over a year now with a promise that, "yeah we'll get to it eventually".

Marietta SC reported the same to me. They had a replacement screen in for me and offered to still replace mine. I will wait for the new screen w/permanent fix.

I had always kept my screen on Auto. With the yellow borders, I now keep it on Night/Auto at all times just because it doesn't look as bad.

Tesla last month replaced my screen on my Signature 2012 P85. The original screen still looked fine but would no longer update. The car was still under CPO warranty so there was no charge and they also replaced the rear camera since apparently there was some compatibility issues. I also got a free upgrade from 3G to LTE at NC so I’m a happy camper. I’ve owned everything from Audi to Benz, BMW, Bentley, Ferrari, Porsche etc. and none compare to Tesla.