Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla halts center screen replacements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla mobile service came out yesterday and replaced the touchscreen in my car. Took about an hour to do. Very easy to do. Most dash parts just pop out.

Not sure why some people are being told that Tesla has stopped replacing screens until the yellow banding issue is fixed.

The mobile tech told me the yellow band is believed to be caused by the glue reacting with the air. All affected touchscreens supposedly are being replaced at the touchscreen manufacturer’s expense. He warned me that the replacement touchscreen may also develop the yellow band over time. Finally, the mobile tech said that Tesla hopes to have a “fixed” touchscreen sometime AFTER June, 2019, but he noted that Tesla is usually overly optimistic with their dates and it can be much later than June.

For those interested in the model 3, the mobile tech said there will be a version with the air suspension, which will become available after the standard range model becomes available. According to him, the battery on the standard model has been redesigned to reduce costs, so Tesla will still make a profit on the $35K model. We also discussed the Ekectrify America chargers being installed at a Walmart in Knoxville just off I-40. Those chargers will operate at a charge rate up to 350kW. While the Teslas can’t charge that fast, he did say that the model 3 can accept up to 160kW, and that while Tesla most likely will not offer CCS ports on their cars, they will likely offer a CCS adapter, like the adapter they sell for Chardemo.

I’m pretty sure they were just replacing just the LCD in recent months instead of the whole unit. So no free LTE upgrades
I had a problem with mine..not yellowing... The replaced the entire unit. I know for sure because I had put my gate clicker on a command strip on the back..and the service center was super cool and found a command strip and put my gate clicker on the new screen for me. I had originally panicked and called because I completely forgot. I said...Dont throw out my old screen. My gate clicker is on it...but then the guy said..nope we found it and we already mounted it back for you! I was like...you guys are awesome!!!!

Reactions: outdoors
I have an early (2013) MCU with excess adhesive migrating an inch or so into the top and sides with a row of bubbles across the bottom. Everything still works (other than updates keep failing) and with no 'yellowing' it's purely cosmetic, but it's out of warranty and along with being stuck on 3G I would consider an upgrade if the cost wasn't too high. Anyone know the cost of an out-of-warranty upgrade to a 4G MCU? I could certainly wait til summer/fall 2019 if it meant getting the latest version.

I think an MCU replacement runs about $2500.

A screen only replacement sound only be about $1000, and the 4G upgrade would be $500 or less. They often discount it when done at the same time as another service on the MCU because of the duplicate labor.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
I have an early (2013) MCU with excess adhesive migrating an inch or so into the top and sides with a row of bubbles across the bottom. Everything still works (other than updates keep failing) and with no 'yellowing' it's purely cosmetic, but it's out of warranty and along with being stuck on 3G I would consider an upgrade if the cost wasn't too high. Anyone know the cost of an out-of-warranty upgrade to a 4G MCU? I could certainly wait til summer/fall 2019 if it meant getting the latest version.

Tesla would likely replace the screen for free if you have the bubbles issue and adhesive on the screen. My first screen developed a black line and started dripping a fluid because of a failed seal and Tesla replaced it without charge.

I guess my thought is:
Why cant telsa make a touch screen that doesnt fail, yellow banding, dripping mystery fluid, black lines. Seriously kids I have 10 screens over 5 years old and they work fine. Its not "the harsh environment" (My two year old screen got replaced last year for yellow banding, ALWAYS had reflective windshield sunscreen in and live in northern CA (Temp between 55-65 year round). Its crap engineering and procurement, probably save 3 bucks buying *sugar* screens from China...

Reactions: ElectricEel
My navigation isnt working properly (freezes, wrong location, "maps not loaded"). After 4 visits, they keep replacing parts and have not corrected the issue. I am taking the car back in next Tuesday and they said they needed the car for 1-2 weeks, I was wondering why they just wouldn't replace the MCU.....

I had the exact same issues but hey replaced my MCU on the first visit to resolve and it's been fine since. As far as I know that the standard practice for those issues.

I'm in So Cal and I went in to the SC for a few issues with my CPO MS, one of which is a lot of bubbling on the screen. I don't have any yellowing, just large bubbles. I was told that the screens have recently become unavailable due to some issues and will be on order.

Wishful thinking I guess

My SC was scheduled to replace mine while doing other repairs, but last minute they did not because of the permanent fix coming out later this year.

They said that these new ones would “fix this and all the other problems that the screens are having.” They mentioned that they would be “much better quality” and “higher resolution” and they “will make sure that I get one of those.”

So... yeah, we will get exactly what we have now, minus the yellowing (hopefully).

Though I will eat my hat if turns out that Tesla does release 4K MCUs or something :D

• Funny
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
No. No word at all on mcu1>mcu2 upgrades, if ever.

upload_2019-1-24_10-25-21.png

:rolleyes:

There are separate threads for both the yellow banding and the possible MCU upgrades.

Forget an upgrade path from MCU1 to MCU2. Just because Elon says it CAN be done doesn't mean it WILL become a viable option. MCU2 had different antennas and they require a new side mirror and wiring, making the upgrade much too pricy for a simple speedup of the interface (unfortunately!)
Then again, if the already sluggish MCU1 Tegra3 gets an even higher resolution screen to drive it may slow down to a 1 fps refresh rate, so maybe Tesla has mercy on all MCU1 owners and integrated a cheapo speedup solution in the new screens. Cause let's be honest, Tegra3 was too slow even in 2015. Let alone in 2017.

ETA:
Screen discoloration thread, started 2017/08, still active...
screen discoloration

ETA
MCU2 retrofit thread
MCU2 - Retrofit

Last edited:
There are separate threads for both the yellow banding and the possible MCU upgrades.

Forget an upgrade path from MCU1 to MCU2. Just because Elon says it CAN be done doesn't mean it WILL become a viable option. MCU2 had different antennas and they require a new side mirror and wiring, making the upgrade much too pricy for a simple speedup of the interface (unfortunately!)
Then again, if the already sluggish MCU1 Tegra3 gets an even higher resolution screen to drive it may slow down to a 1 fps refresh rate, so maybe Tesla has mercy on all MCU1 owners and integrated a cheapo speedup solution in the new screens. Cause let's be honest, Tegra3 was too slow even in 2015. Let alone in 2017.

ETA:
Screen discoloration thread, started 2017/08, still active...
screen discoloration

ETA
MCU2 retrofit thread
MCU2 - Retrofit

The side mirror thing isn't the biggest deal. The bigger issue is that when replacing MCU1 with MCU2, you also need to replace IC1 (the instrument cluster) with IC2 because the new IC2 is just a screen, unlike IC1 which is it's own Lunix computer.

You have to replace both IC and MCU