Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla has a lot of offline software improvements to make unless they want upset Cybertruck owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
if you are going to do a LOT of off-roading, you need more than Verizon/AT&T as national parks may not have cell service anywhere. My D and he BF figured that out last year when they went camping in Mendocino. (No cell service = no phone, no google/apple maps....)

For that you need a SAT phone with GPS; Garmin makes a popular one.

Thank you for this thread. Interesting things to consider. I have a MX and frequently go off on dirt roads, forest roads. I live in southern Arizona and no Superchargers south of I-10. I worry more about flat tires. How many of you carry a spare and the necessary equipment to change a flat? My one experience with extended no cell service was in the Chiricahua Mountains, se corner of Arizona. I drove in through New Mexico and the clock got stuck on New Mexico time. It did not change when I drove into Arizona, even though there was cell service. In fact, it did not change back to Arizona time until I was almost back to Willcox heading home, dozens of miles from the New Mexico border.

Tow hook port is in the front bumper. Hook is in the frunk.

Side note: I like the exoskeloton backpack- very old school! I used one of those in college when I use to borrow equipment from our gear sharing club
I've actually had the backpack since the 70's when I was in college. I know about the front tow port. I need to know where to hook if I need to pull from the back. As far as I can tell, my only option would be to buy one of those attachments you bolt onto a wheel.

Something is wrong with that picture.... it's too clean!!!
But your pup is adorable.

View attachment 561333
That's because most of the road is either granite, or damp - but not muddy so good traction - otherwise I wouldn't chance pushing through without having a place to attach a winch...
p20191004_211438.jpg

Maybe people are wanting the same capabilities or more than an ICE truck. Not only would I have gps mapping but off the beaten path I would have printed out topographical maps of the areas I was visiting. and take them with with me. I would also have emergency two way radios. Also I would take with me an emergency locator beacon. This is not my Truck but I have had some of this equipment in my vehicles when traveling off from civilization.
7d07ce38d2860b1577ee71d78f6ccad3.jpg
The stage mic seems a bit excessive and performative.

Agree, I'm one of those people who travels to remote places and the great outdoors, on a somewhat regular basis. My car has built in Nav & Sirius XM also for music, all accessible via satellite. I'm a potential Cybertruck buyer, however these things need to be built in, just as they are available for pretty much every truck in the market, in order for me to pull the trigger.

Maybe people are wanting the same capabilities or more than an ICE truck. Not only would I have gps mapping but off the beaten path I would have printed out topographical maps of the areas I was visiting. and take them with with me. I would also have emergency two way radios. Also I would take with me an emergency locator beacon. This is not my Truck but I have had some of this equipment in my vehicles when traveling off from civilization.
7d07ce38d2860b1577ee71d78f6ccad3.jpg
I've been off-roading in my built Land Cruiser for many years and have never needed more than my smartphone and GMRS. The setup pictured above is ridiculous.

In my day, we used these awkward things called maps!

It is unfortunate how much needs to be served to the car and I absolutely agree that Tesla should’ve allowed some buffer for that, especially if you set your destination to somewhere it can predict will be without service. In the meantime, if you can predict it, google will let you save maps offline. I did that in a couple of national parks.
yea.....kids today rely on hand held computers to do everything....they cant read or do simple math......I learned to count with popsicle sticks in first grade.....learned to read and how to think.......thinking today for the younger generation is done my machine.....no reasoning......but we have the best education, right

Reactions: rickybobbee
yea.....kids today rely on hand held computers to do everything....they cant read or do simple math......I learned to count with popsicle sticks in first grade.....learned to read and how to think.......thinking today for the younger generation is done my machine.....no reasoning......but we have the best education, right
ok boomer

This thread is interesting to me. I agree that offline maps are important and there are some advancements that Tesla can make on its Nav.

But do you really want to rely on software to calculate energy consumption driving on a fire road? What percentage of that road is mud, gravel, rocks or deep snow? You expect every fire road to be accurately mapped depending on the weather? If you are going into the wilderness you need to be self-reliant and know the capabilities and limitations of the tools you bring.

This is where experience comes into play. Start small, learn your systems and expand from there. I would never leave that to a do it all navigation program. You will need to calculate what you need just like food, fuel and warmth.

Reactions: FEERSUMENDJIN
How far do you want to go into the outback without bringing solar panels or a Generator and fuel to charge the Cybertruck?. Never go by yourself and always tell someone where you are going. How fast will the main battery drain keeping the 12 volt battery charged during heavy winching

Thank you for this thread. Interesting things to consider. I have a MX and frequently go off on dirt roads, forest roads. I live in southern Arizona and no Superchargers south of I-10. I worry more about flat tires. How many of you carry a spare and the necessary equipment to change a flat? My one experience with extended no cell service was in the Chiricahua Mountains, se corner of Arizona. I drove in through New Mexico and the clock got stuck on New Mexico time. It did not change when I drove into Arizona, even though there was cell service. In fact, it did not change back to Arizona time until I was almost back to Willcox heading home, dozens of miles from the New Mexico border.
Have you explored the dirt roads in the Big Bend National Park in Texas.

We also need an electric version of a Jerry can which is an important backup when going off the beaten track.

I think with advent of Rivian and a few others, hopefully some sort of solution will be produced in the near future to serve this purpose.
We do have the electric equivalent of the jerry can. There are plenty of mobile power stations (lithium Ion with built in chargers/inverters) for sale online, enough to get you a few miles, not quite the 20-30 from a jerry can. Several you tubers use them when range testing EVs.

We do have the electric equivalent of the jerry can. There are plenty of mobile power stations (lithium Ion with built in chargers/inverters) for sale online, enough to get you a few miles, not quite the 20-30 from a jerry can. Several you tubers use them when range testing EVs.

Or if you are doing some stealth camping in the wilderness for more than few days,
you can also carry some solar panels... so you will not be stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Reactions: FEERSUMENDJIN