Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla has a lot of Superchargers to open in the next 10 days !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
They haven't updated the website uet so there are nine Superchargers in the GTA alone that are have a target opening of 2020.

Anyone remember when they update these? Do they do it before year end or after? And I wonder if we will get any new sites? Tesla has a pretty much free cost of capital so they should just keep issuing shares and using the cash to do CapEx like building Supercharger sites.

• Funny
Reactions: malou
They haven't updated the website uet so there are nine Superchargers in the GTA alone that are have a target opening of 2020.

Anyone remember when they update these? Do they do it before year end or after? And I wonder if we will get any new sites? Tesla has a pretty much free cost of capital so they should just keep issuing shares and using the cash to do CapEx like building Supercharger sites.
I think last year it was within a week of year end, so any day now,

Don't think they need to issue any new shares to do that now, with the $10B in the last 2 raises, the $5B they had already and the likely $5+B in free cash flow they will be generating this quarter they have more cash than they can spend without starting a couple more factories or acquiring some big companies.
I bet the choke point is actually building the Charger hardware and having the physical install done.
Having said that, you're absolutely right. They need to seriously ramp up installations as fast as they possibly can.
As much as I feel for the big cities that really need their extra ones, if they want wide adoption as stated, they need to put a 125 km matrix on every highway in North America and seriously focus on the blank spots between locations.
One thing that knaws at me is that they seem determined to install 8 at almost all the locations, where what they could do much faster if the supply of equipment is a limitation, is build out conduits and concrete for 8 and install just 2 or 4 and double or quadruple the stop locations. Go back and fill them in when there is an ample supply of equipment.
When I was in the service center in QC in September, they showed me a map that included locations that weren't and still aren't on the official map, so the plan is beyond what's updated on the map.
Wish I'd snapped a picture!
NB in NB

IMHO it is smart for Tesla to keep issuing shares, even if they don't really need the cash, as it is a way of locking in their extremely high share price and making them more immune to short sellers. I love my Tesla and have had it for 6 years but the stock price currently is extraordinarily high, up 706% in 2020. When it is a Great Day for Hay, then you Hay.

Continuing to build SuperChargers helps Tesla to increase its competitive advantage. I would consider getting a non-Tesla EV in the near future but the big issue would be the availability of high speed charging. I don't use charging outside of my own garage very often but Tesla has such a huge leader over everyone else in this area for the forseeable future, and they should keep building on it.

Reactions: navguy12
I think last year it was within a week of year end, so any day now,

Don't think they need to issue any new shares to do that now, with the $10B in the last 2 raises, the $5B they had already and the likely $5+B in free cash flow they will be generating this quarter they have more cash than they can spend without starting a couple more factories or acquiring some big companies.
I bet the choke point is actually building the Charger hardware and having the physical install done.
Having said that, you're absolutely right. They need to seriously ramp up installations as fast as they possibly can.
As much as I feel for the big cities that really need their extra ones, if they want wide adoption as stated, they need to put a 125 km matrix on every highway in North America and seriously focus on the blank spots between locations.
One thing that knaws at me is that they seem determined to install 8 at almost all the locations, where what they could do much faster if the supply of equipment is a limitation, is build out conduits and concrete for 8 and install just 2 or 4 and double or quadruple the stop locations. Go back and fill them in when there is an ample supply of equipment.
When I was in the service center in QC in September, they showed me a map that included locations that weren't and still aren't on the official map, so the plan is beyond what's updated on the map.
Wish I'd snapped a picture!
NB in NB
I disagree about the 8-stall thing. I think it's the perfect number for rural areas to future-proof the system. Also supercharger cabinets go down and v3 cabinets support 4 stalls so if you build only 4 stalls you will be dependent on one cabinet which could fail at any time. It's also not at all as if it's as easy to build 200 4-stall superchargers as it is to build 100 8-stall superchargers. The latter is easier to build and it's not even close. And I wouldn't be so sure that stall and cabinet supply is the limiting factor. It could very easily be something else like finding experienced work crews or simply the logistics with all the red tape.

I know that never meet deadlines at Tesla.

But some circumstances made it tougher this year:
- mandatory 14 day quarantine eliminating any construction of chargers in the Atlantic bubble
- production delays with the superchargers themselves (note the blue recycling bins at a few locations in Ontario)
- cities permit departments running on delayed schedules (probably 6 months behind)

——————
If we look at Ontario, we only really have the following left:
- the GTA urban chargers
- Brockville, Renfrew, Orilla and Bracebridge (all rural areas) that will probably be 8 stalls

----
Another comment in BC / Alberta, we are seeing the trend of older 150KW stations being replaced with 8 stalls 250KW.

Maybe, that's what will be ahead of us for the next year.

Reactions: navguy12
I know that never meet deadlines at Tesla.

But some circumstances made it tougher this year:
- mandatory 14 day quarantine eliminating any construction of chargers in the Atlantic bubble
- production delays with the superchargers themselves (note the blue recycling bins at a few locations in Ontario)
- cities permit departments running on delayed schedules (probably 6 months behind)

——————
If we look at Ontario, we only really have the following left:
- the GTA urban chargers
- Brockville, Renfrew, Orilla and Bracebridge (all rural areas) that will probably be 8 stalls
Telsa almost always builds the sites on their map - eventually.

But I am really starting to wonder about the urban sites in Toronto, namely the Annex, Liberty Village and Yonge & Eg. I believe these were announced in late 2017. See my thread from 13 months ago:
Has Tesla changed their minds on SCs in urban areas?

And the Mississauga sites is outstanding from earlier in 2017 - here is a story from Aug 2017 that shows it on a map. Tesla will unveil 8 new Supercharger stations in Toronto this year | Venture

So certainly it is understable that Covid will have delayed these sites, but several of these were years behind when Covid struck.

I share your sentiment about Brockville.... However, @MarcoRP has a source (and I know the source as well), who was absolutely correct on Collingwood, Bancroft, and Orangeville, and the source has said that Brockville is on the books, it's just a matter of "when". So, I suspect (hope) it's 2021 for Brockville.

I think the principal factor that delays future sites is finding suitable locations; parking spaces with a landlord who agrees to lease the spaces to Tesla under terms Tesla finds acceptable and that have the local electrical power infrastructure required to support the Supercharger hardware.

I’m disappointed that apparently Tesla has not yet found suitable sites in West and North Vancouver, as those locations have been “Coming Soon” for a long time now.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung

hmm ... historically all that happens is that "opening in X" changes to "opening in X+1".

Reactions: PLUS EV
I remember when Elon said the Trans-Canada superchargers would be complete by end of 2017 :p

Well they are complete now are they not? Now if Elon could just twin the Trans-Canada across the country, that would be something.;)

Just curious about the urban chargers. What is their main purpose? Is it for people without home charging, such as those in apartments? I live in Ottawa and have not had a reason to use an urban charger yet given my Tesla charger at home. I can't imagine depleting my battery enough driving around town that I would have to use it in ordinary situations. Maybe in an emergency, if I unexpectedly and suddenly need to drive somewhere and had not charged up at home recently. But beyond that, when will I use an urban charger? I do understand that those in apartments/condos are in a different situation. Are those people in fact the intended market?

I would like to see more chargers on highway routes in Canada beyond the obvious ones that are already covered.

Just curious about the urban chargers. What is their main purpose?

I think there are several reasons. First, as the fleet has grown they take some of the load off the SCs located along the interstates etc. Second, they are good when you are in town for a few days visiting. Third, as you note, they are for the people (many now) who do not have access to good home charging (apartments etc).

Just curious about the urban chargers. What is their main purpose? Is it for people without home charging, such as those in apartments?
The 72kW unpaired “Urban” style chargers are intended for use at locations where people are more likely to be parked for a longer period of time (metropolitan area shopping centers, for example). In contrast, Superchargers located on long distance travel routes are the type 2 or 3 versions that offer faster charging, where you want to charge quickly and then be on your way.

Either type of Supercharger can of course be used by any Tesla owner no matter what sort of travel they are engaged in. But the Urban chargers are optimized for a specific environment.

Tesla still hasn't updated the Find Us map, but maybe they will by tomorrow. I honestly don't know why I care - many of the new sites are built in areas without "coming soon" pins, and the "coming soon" locations often take 2,3,4 (or more) years to actually build (yes, I'm looking at you, Kayenta, AZ). But yet, for some reason, I care... :)

Reactions: kelly
Tesla still hasn't updated the Find Us map, but maybe they will by tomorrow. I honestly don't know why I care - many of the new sites are built in areas without "coming soon" pins, and the "coming soon" locations often take 2,3,4 (or more) years to actually build (yes, I'm looking at you, Kayenta, AZ). But yet, for some reason, I care... :)
I've followed this stuff about as closely as anyone for 4.5 years now. It's been about 2 years since I've looked at that map. I used to care about it too :)