Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla has a lot of Superchargers to open in the next 10 days !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've followed this stuff about as closely as anyone for 4.5 years now. It's been about 2 years since I've looked at that map. I used to care about it too :)

Good to know there is hope! :)

Ok. It's now time to update this thread's title to read "... in the next 365 days!"

Yes, although given that the coming soon sites still say "target opening 2020," maybe it should be -1 days? I get that Elon is an optimist, but... :)

• Funny
Reactions: navguy12
Tesla explains it here: Supercharging Cities
Note the date of that blog entry - Sep 2017. I don't know about other parts of the world, but they don't seem to have done much for SC of cities in Canada the ensuing 3+ years. I wonder if they have changed their mind? If anything they should be even more able to build these types of sites as their cost of equity is now so cheap. As I have mentioned a few times, they have had three inner city SCs on the map for Toronto for over three years and there doesn't seem to be anything happening with these. I understand that the logistics are challenging for these sites, but either do them or get them off the list.

Urban chargers aren't just for people in apartments and condos. A lot of people that live in houses in the core of cities like Toronto and Montreal depend on street parking. That makes it pretty much impossible to charge at "home".

The 72kW unpaired “Urban” style chargers are intended for use at locations where people are more likely to be parked for a longer period of time (metropolitan area shopping centers, for example). In contrast, Superchargers located on long distance travel routes are the type 2 or 3 versions that offer faster charging, where you want to charge quickly and then be on your way.

Either type of Supercharger can of course be used by any Tesla owner no matter what sort of travel they are engaged in. But the Urban chargers are optimized for a specific environment.
While this is true it isn't always clear what is meant by "urban" SC.

Is it the style of chargers where Tesla has a specific type called an urban SC?

Or is it any old SC that is located in an urban area?

For example, in the (Mega)City of Toronto there are three SC sites - Etobicoke/Sherway Gardens, North York/Fairview Mall and Eaton Centre. Etobicoke and Eaton Centre are (I believe) the "urban" style of SC. But North York, which is the newest of the three, is the "regular" style. And you could argue as to whether the Etobicoke and North York sites are truly urban, as they are more suburban in many ways and the sites are outdoor in large shopping malls and these were suburbs of Toronto prior to amalgamation. The Eaton Centre is more urban in all ways being in the downtown shopping district and the SCs are in a parking garage - which may have a downside when these types of sites are closed due to Covid - as happened in Ottawa in the spring of 2020.

For example, in the (Mega)City of Toronto there are three SC sites - Etobicoke/Sherway Gardens, North York/Fairview Mall and Eaton Centre. Etobicoke and Eaton Centre are (I believe) the "urban" style of SC. But North York, which is the newest of the three, is the "regular" style. And you could argue as to whether the Etobicoke and North York sites are truly urban, as they are more suburban in many ways and the sites are outdoor in large shopping malls and these were suburbs of Toronto prior to amalgamation. The Eaton Centre is more urban in all ways being in the downtown shopping district and the SCs are in a parking garage - which may have a downside when these types of sites are closed due to Covid - as happened in Ottawa in the spring of 2020.
The difference with North York is that it’s located near highways where drivers would be passing through. The other locations would be more local.

The difference with North York is that it’s located near highways where drivers would be passing through. The other locations would be more local.
I think Etobicoke and North York are EXACTLY the same in this way. Etobicoke is at the junction of 2/3 highways - QEW/Gardiner and 427 whereas North York is at the junction of 2/3 highways - the 404/DVP and 401. If you are passing through Toronto completely on the 401 from say, Kingston to London, you would be wise to take the 407 (at least during non-Covid times), assuming that your time has value. But a lot of people going through Toronto will be coming from the QEW from Hamilton, Niagara, or the US.

Coming from Niagara or Hamilton Tesla/Waze/Google, etc like to route you on the 427 to the 401 rather than 403 from Oakville to the 401 at the airpot. At least that is my experience when I go from Hamilton to my home in Scarborough, which I do all the time, or I did before March.

Urban superchargers are the ones that are 72kW max. They have distinctly different looking pedestals. Eaton Centre is an example in Toronto.

Yes, I was just wondering more generally about the need for Superchargers in urban settings, rather than specific '72kW Urban Superchargers'. I do understand a bit better now the larger purpose that they serve, even if I personally am unlikely to benefit much from them.

• Informative
Reactions: PLUS EV
What a disappointment the new dates are. Tesla is just shooting themselves in the foot trying to go it alone on L3 charging.
Or they want to create a compelling reason to buy a Tesla. I have had a Model S for six years now. I would be very willing to consider a non-Tesla EV but one of the things holding me back is lack of fast charging infrastructure. So Tesla going it alone creates a competitive advantage for them, at least in the short term.

Do they have a choice? No one else is really stepping up in a big way.
Most auto manufacturers are waiting for someone else to do the hard work of setting up a network.
Pretty much all of Southern Alberta and BC is built out with 50kW dual fast chargers, but unless you have a Chademo adapter, you can't use them. With the majority of EVs out there being Tesla's that can't use the chargers, they are underutilized, so the incentive to build more is low; standard catch 22. If the Setec adapter firmware bugs get sorted out, I'm definitely buying one, as the holes in the supercharger network are pathetic.