Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla has a lot riding on Model S sedan's success

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's face it, Elon has great big brass ones in simultaneously taking on SpaceX (!!!) and Tesla (!!!). SpaceX has already become the fastest growing and cheapest launch provider in the world all based on his huge bet with the Falcon 9 after learning the business with Falcon 1. Next year he plans to release Falcon Heavy which will make SpaceX the dominant player in space transportation.

His business plan for Tesla was identical. Test the waters and learn the business with Roadster. Shock the world and fight for competitive parity with the Model S, then go for the jugular with a generation 3 concept to attain market supremacy.

He has repeatedly stated his 3 version philosophy, pointing to software history of programs like Windows.

So yes. The Model S is for all the marbles, and is absolutely a make or break moment for Tesla. If demand crashes after the pre-orders like happened with the Leaf, Tesla is apt to become merger bait for Toyota or Daimler.

Personally though, the Model S looks like typical Elon magic. Any of the vehicles with the 60-85kW batteries look hyper competitive with a large number of conventional models in the class in terms of performance, styling and total cost (and ease) of ownership. Right now I think the worst case for Tesla will get them to Gen 3 even if they don't become profitable. And a believable best case exists where the Model S is the next must have Cabbage Patch Doll.. Or an Ipad for those of you too young to remember real mania.. :p

I must have met that person. Someone came up to me last year while I was wearing a Tesla jacket and asked "is that the band? I'm a huge fan." and I said "No, it's for the car company" and she looked confused. After explaining it, she said "Oh, hadn't heard of them" and walked on.

I must have met that person. Someone came up to me last year while I was wearing a Tesla jacket and asked "is that the band? I'm a huge fan." and I said "No, it's for the car company" and she looked confused. After explaining it, she said "Oh, hadn't heard of them" and walked on.

I wonder what would happen to the company (and as an investor, its stock price) if and when the company actually begins advertising. I know there are TONS of people out there who would die once they saw how sexy and incredibly great this car is but word of mouth just hasn't spread quickly enough.

Would really love to see a big ad campaign like Nissan has put on for its Leaf. Hopefully, this won't have to happen (the product will sell itself I am confident) but would still be interesting to see.