TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla has a monopoly. Best to wait?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by gowthamn, Apr 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. EinSV

EinSV Active Member

Nope, you can program the Tesla to open the garage door automatically as soon as it gets close to the house. Works like a charm. ;)

2. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Ice cars have homelink too.

I was just saying, the fud that ev haters spread is no different than the fud ice haters spread.

He listed way too many unnecessary steps, aka fud

• Like x 2
  3. NeverFollow

NeverFollow Active Member

I would recommend also to play with the EV Trip Planner.

4. EinSV

EinSV Active Member

You appear to be confusing the spreading of "FUD" with the having of "FUN" -- in this case a little poetic license to make a valid point, which is that EV charging at home is much more convenient than dealing with regular trips to the gas station to fill up an ICE vehicle.

5. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

So you're using his "funny" "poetic" and FALSE reasons to validate a point

Is charging at home more convenient than fueling up? Yes.
    Is it much more convenient? Nah stop that

And that's coming from a guy with 2 model S's. I love the car

• Like x 1
  6. Hammer@OR.US

[email protected] What a long strange trip its been.

My point was I don't feel like I gave up any "luxury features" or anything else.

• Like x 1
  7. EinSV

EinSV Active Member

Please point out which of Sir G's points re charging are factually "FALSE" as opposed to, well, silly.

I love driving by gas stations and Smog Checks. It makes me smile.

In my experience it is far more convenient to charge my Tesla than deal with running to the gas station to fill my old ICE cars, even taking into account the handful of times I've had to use a Supercharger.

I don't have great fueling options on my commute, so when I drove an ICE I had to drive out of the way most of the time I needed to fill up. If I didn't plan ahead I had to deal with traffic or pay a premium at the overpriced station close by. It was a pain. If your opinion and/or experience is different that's fine, but it is not the only valid opinion, sorry.

8. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Well I'm wrong, you're right!
    Your experience is gospel, it is fact and it applies to EVERYONE!

Oh wait, I still stop by a gas station quite frequently! I stop on my way to work to get a drink or some gum. It is in no way an inconvenience, it's just something I want to do, if I had to fuel up, that wouldn't be an inconvenience either... oh wait I forgot we're all like you, so I guess I am inconvenienced.

As far as his false point, "she's cute, oh wait it's a he" is not a step.
    And as far as having to go fuel the car, normal people just do that on their commute, not many people just go to a gas station as the only destination.

9. daniel

daniel Active Member

Charging is a valid issue for people who cannot charge at home. Not all apartment managers or condo associations will allow a charger to be installed, though it's certainly worth a try to present a proposal. Some people have to park on the street. A relative of mine lives in San Francisco and has to park on the street, wherever there happens to be a space. Lack of home charging is not necessarily an insurmountable obstacle, but it is a valid concern and a reason to wait for more infrastructure before switching away from gas.

As EVs become more common and gas gets more expensive and pollution controls limit where and when ICE cars can operate, there will be more and more solutions, but for now, if I could not charge at home I would not have an electric car. Buying gas is inconvenient, but spending half an hour once or twice a week at a charging station, or leaving your car at a slow charger overnight, would be more inconvenient.

10. dragoljub

dragoljub Member

After driving model S for well over a year I have reconsidered what luxury means to me. I now own a new 2017 S90D.

To me these features are luxury, which is why I gave up on BMW and moved to Tesla:
    1. Never going to gas stations or getting oil changes. I'd rather be reading TMC. :D
    2. No exhaust entering the cabin on cold mornings when backing up & no burning oil smells.
    3. Preconditioned cabin before entering.
    4. Able to idle for hours with heat or AC and not polluting the surroundings.
    5. AP keeping freeway and traffic driving stress way down.
    6. Instant torque even at high speeds. Never seems to get old.
    7. Ridiculously functional storage space for a sedan. I was going to add a tow hitch but 2 full bikes fit in the back.
    8. No more smog checks. Car I gave up could not pass smog without major service work. Good riddance.
    9. Built out charger network with free charging for Life.
    10. Unlimited carpool lane access. I wonder how the other 100k cars feel seeing Teslas and Leafs zoom by them.

There are probably many more but these features impact me much more than any other 'luxury features'. I fully expect Tesla Model S to catch up to the german luxury segment in fit and finish in the next few years. The features important to me are already there so I own today. ;)

• Like x 8
    • Disagree x 1
    • Love x 1
  11. oktane

oktane Active Member

@dragoljub That is a great list about what most of us like about our cars, thanks.

• Like x 1
  12. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

Uhh nope! My Model S opens the garage door when I get home (GPS), and closes it as I leave.

• Funny x 1
  13. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

You do not know what you are talking about.

• Like x 1
  14. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

You guys - some dude with an A4 comes here and baits you into defending your S's. Seriously. Save your breath.

• Helpful x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  15. houdini

houdini Member

That advantage has kind of reduced now though in that supercharging is no longer free forever (yes you get 1400kms free but after that pay for it) and so if you buy an X you will have the superchargers available but there's a lot of CCS and Chademo all over Europe for instance and a lot of free or really cheap. So that's kind of equal now or will be shortly. I-pace buyers will be similar to every other EV owners and will 95% plus charge at home.

Speaking from an Australian perspective we only have one route covered by superchargers anyway so if you want to drive anywhere other than that route you're [email protected]^ out of luck for fast charging.

16. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I'm surprised people are actually taking op seriously.

He starts by asking a question in the title, then proceeds to answer his own question at the end of the post.

Like wtf

• Like x 1
  17. daniel

daniel Active Member

Sometimes someone comes on a forum with a question that might sound kind of trollish, and maybe even disappears and never posts again. But sometimes that question (even if trollish) is one we know a lot of people wonder about, and there are probably ten or a hundred lurkers for every active poster. I answer such questions, when I can, because I'm speaking to the lurkers.

Note: I'm not calling the OP here a troll. But the assertion that Teslas are not luxury enough is kind of trollish. Nobody goes on a Honda web site and says "I won't buy a Civic because it's not a luxury car." It goes without saying that a Civic is not a luxury car and that if you want a luxury car you're not even thinking about a Civic. But the Model S is a pretty fancy car, with a fancy-car price (because of the batteries) so the question comes up, and is worth answering, for the lurkers, if not for the OP.

It also gives us a perfect excuse to wax eloquent about how much we love our Teslas, and why. :)

18. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

#98 ecarfan, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    Thanks for your comment. Fair points.

However, the fact that the Tesla Supercharger network is no longer "Free for life and unlimited" in no way decreases the utility and effectiveness of the network, and paying for Supercharging is still much cheaper per mile or kilometer than paying for gasonline.

I have no direct experience with the CCS and Chademo chargers in Europe. Are they set up so that at a single location there are 4 to 12 or more charging spots to increase the likelihood that when you arrive you will be able to charge as opposed to waiting? I think the answer is generally "No".

Can a CCS or Chademo charge at up to 120kW like a Tesla Supercharger can? I think the answer is "Not at this time" (I know the CCS standard has a future goal of going well over 100kW, as does Tesla have a goal of much higher charge rates).

Can you check the status of the CCS or Chademo charger before you arrive to make sure that it is operational? (because in a Tesla you can do that for the Superchargers) I think the answer is "No".

Is there a single entity that is responsible for all the CCS and Chademo chargers and that makes sure that if one is broken that it will be quickly repaired? I think the answer is "No". Whereas with Tesla Superchargers the company makes a serious effort to fix problems because if it doesn't it will hear from its customers and will get negative PR.

Is there a single entity that plans the locations of all the CCS and Chademo chargers so they are located in a logical way that facilitates long distance travel? I think the answer is "No".

So just because in Europe there are a lot of CCS and Chademo chargers, that doesn't mean that they are comparable to the Tesla Supercharger network. It's wonderful those chargers exist but in my opinion the Supercharger network offers many advantages.

19. gowthamn

gowthamn Science

Guess my definition of luxury is different compared to Tesla owners. I do care about noise entering the cabin at high speeds. I do care about interior build quality and choice of materials and all the points I mentioned in the first post.

• Like x 1
  20. gowthamn

gowthamn Science

What does my current car have to do with what I am planning to buy next?

• Like x 1