Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla has a new high tech steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: XLR82XS
Perhaps, but I am skeptical since Tesla very much wanted to woo the the BMW and Audi crowd with the Model 3.

And frankly, it is just not Elon's style
OK. Offer a reason for the omission. ;)

BTW, we are longtime BMW owners. Five of them. BMW always reserves goodies like heated steering wheel for up-sell packages.

Tesla simply doesn't do tiers of packages like BMW and Audi. It would not be economical or time efficient to do so at the present time.

Also, heated steering may reduce range...and range was of utmost importance. Hence, no equipped spare tire or tire repair kit that would add weight and reduce range.

Last edited:
From the article...
"In order to change gear on a Tesla vehicle, you use a gear stalk attached to the steering wheel, which is uncommon in passenger vehicles other than trucks."​

This... isn't true? Vans used to do this a lot. SUVs still do. Very specifically, Mercedes SUVs and CUVs use the same stalks for gear selection (the Model 3's is a Mercedes part).

Haptic feedback would be nice, especially if it led to better wiper and cruise controls. I won't hold my breath for now though.

It’s unnecessary to have a floor shifter when there’s no actual linkage for the shifter to operate?

Many new vehicles don't have mechanical linkage for the shifter. Whether it's the centre console ones, the ones by the steering wheel on a dial (e.g. trucks), or on the steering wheel, many of these haven't been mechanical linkages for years and their position isn't dictated by linkage.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Just so you guys know and don’t get disappointed, this doesn’t mean it will be in the cars anytime soon. Companies file for patents all the time. They basically cover their ass so they don’t get sued. When there’s a problem, engineers will come up with multiple ways to solve it. Company will try to patent every way they can, doesn’t mean they’ll use it.

Reactions: camalaio
Yes, if one defeats mirror tilt completely.

However, we like the passenger mirror to tilt, and have grown accustomed to this feature for two decades. Don't know why U.S. Model S owners have this feature and U.S. Model 3 owners don't.

I don't use this, never tried - are you saying both mirrors tilt when this is set? If I remember I'll try myself tomorrow but if you don't answer :)

tilt.jpg

After driving with a butterfly wheel I found the stalks can be a little awkward when turning. It is not a big deal but I can see why they want to improve this. Both the Roadster and Cybertruck had the new non-round steering and this could be a nice upgrade.

A "non-round" steering wheel is nothing new. Perhaps to you maybe. But check out a 1961 Chrysler Imperial.

Imagine they will offer a heated steering wheel as a winter option package some time in the future.

Right now, they are under tremendous pressure to get cars produced and into the hands of eager waiting customers. Imagine that a heated steering wheel is not all that high on their to do lists.

Realizing that their ultimate goal is not to have owners hands on the steering wheel at all, as their real goal is FSD.

• Funny
Reactions: tvad