TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Tesla has extended deadline for free supercharging

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Jrogville, Jan 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

• Like x 1
  2. GreenBear248

GreenBear248 Member

Anyone suspect the reason for extending? New feature delayed? I was hoping for a Model X 100D announcement...so we could upgrade range.

We still have a few more days before order is confirmed.

3. PedanticOne

PedanticOne MyTesla Refresh Champion

Total guess: they didn't make the numbers they wanted by EOY so they're extending it to help continue to sweeten the deal for people on the fence.

• Like x 1
  4. wallstguy

wallstguy Member

Easy...Set it for December 31st to maximize orders from people "on the edge" for Year End numbers....extend a few more days for the effect to follow through in the next quarter as well.

• Like x 1
  5. Eclectic

Eclectic Member

This explains the call we got yesterday afternoon...a Tesla rep was trying to get us to place an order for a Model X and dangled the "free" supercharging lure, saying it was ending soon. When I said that I thought it ended as of yesterday, he said it was being extended and urged us to place the order asap, as "the free supercharging feature is going to be discontinued in a matter of days".

6. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

That is my concern as well. That they wanted something in place to drive sales, but the 100D wasn't ready for prime time, and won't be until after Jan 15. I'm long past my grace period, but I have a relatively late build date and hoping the 100D's will be available before mine goes into production. I figure I might have a safe six weeks yet?

7. Porfiry

Porfiry Member

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that they haven't yet - as was promised by year end - detailed what the new pricing structure will be for supercharging. It would be pretty shady for them to sign up new orders while supercharger pricing remains unanswered.

8. MasterT

MasterT Member

Why? Customers dont get notified what gas prices would be when buying ICE cars, I think the same principle apples here. Tesla already defined the free quota, the paid rate would be according to market electricity cost.

9. Porfiry

Porfiry Member

All I'm saying is that Tesla themselves promised to "release the details of the program later this year" - that was 2016. They clearly intend to share more details. It seems plausible to me that they pushed back the deadline to give themselves more time to actually explain the new policy.

10. Ulmo

Ulmo Active Member

I thought the explanation is probably simpler: I presume there were problems during the holidays confirming orders (getting ahold of anyone at Tesla over the last two weeks was insane; they weren't in their offices, and I know, since I have a thing I'm trying to get dealt with myself), and so people may have backed out (cancelled). Those same potential customers would be able to start an order this week, have it confirmed next week (which is already > 7 days into the year), and make it within the January 15, 2017 deadline. This is all without any bad acting on the part of anyone involved.

The impression some people had was that by clicking order on the Tesla website by Dec 31, 2016 at midnight, everything would be OK. Suddenly, at midnight, people said "yay!" and other people said "did you confirm it?", and "what time zone?", and suddenly a bunch of worms came out of some cans and started crawling around. Tesla seems to have fixed that.

In addition, it has some of us thinking about this opportunity all over again. Again.

11. outie

outie Active Member

Wouldn't that happen again on 1/15 at midnight? "What time zone? Did you confirm it?"

I am pretty sure it's to drive more sales.