Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla has launched a ROUND steering wheel for the Refreshed Model S and Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sign me up! Also, not certain if the horn is back to the center but my guess is yes.

1672975842847.png

I notice that the Tesla Shop states that the price includes installation at a Tesla Service Center. I am wondering if they keep your old yoke, or if you get it back. Also, would the old yoke be damaged in removal so that it could not be re-installed.
The yoke can be removed fairly easily. I am hoping for a self-installation option so I can save the yoke, and swap back to yoke from time to time (even though my main option will for sure be the round wheel).

Reactions: Laddcruzer
I notice that the Tesla Shop states that the price includes installation at a Tesla Service Center. I am wondering if they keep your old yoke, or if you get it back. Also, would the old yoke be damaged in removal so that it could not be re-installed.

YouTube videos show the process of swapping the yoke to an aftermarket round steering wheel, and nothing is harmed.

Yoke vs round wheel is definitely polarizing. I got my 22 Model S in Jan 2022 and have put almost 15,000 mikes in it since then. I liked the yoke right away and given the choice, would get it again in a heartbeat. I also have no problems with the lack of stalks, including the horn. As the entire right spoke sounds the horn, you don't have to just hit the button. On my older ICE cars, I drove with my right hand covering the right spoke with the tip of my thumb resting on the right edge of the center horn button when need be. I use essentially the same position with the yoke, only my thumb doesn't have to touch the center any more. Not having to take my hands off the yoke for the wipers/washers or turn signals is also appreciated. The preferred hand position changed from 10 and 2 to 9 and 3 at least 25 years ago. I now find seeing the top of a round wheel looking cluttered even though you can look through it at the instruments. The techniques for using the yoke are a little different, but are easy to adapt to. You don't really do hand over hand, for example. I've been driving for 56 years and have covered millions of miles and find the yoke to be a positive evolutionary change. I enjoy driving in a spirited manner and my car is in Insane mode 100% of the time. I may be a grandpa, but I sure as hell don't drive like one as long as my grandkids or wife aren't with me.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Yoke vs round wheel is definitely polarizing. I got my 22 Model S in Jan 2022 and have put almost 15,000 mikes in it since then. I liked the yoke right away and given the choice, would get it again in a heartbeat. I also have no problems with the lack of stalks, including the horn. As the entire right spoke sounds the horn, you don't have to just hit the button. On my older ICE cars, I drove with my right hand covering the right spoke with the tip of my thumb resting on the right edge of the center horn button when need be. I use essentially the same position with the yoke, only my thumb doesn't have to touch the center any more. Not having to take my hands off the yoke for the wipers/washers or turn signals is also appreciated. The preferred hand position changed from 10 and 2 to 9 and 3 at least 25 years ago. I now find seeing the top of a round wheel looking cluttered even though you can look through it at the instruments. The techniques for using the yoke are a little different, but are easy to adapt to. You don't really do hand over hand, for example. I've been driving for 56 years and have covered millions of miles and find the yoke to be a positive evolutionary change. I enjoy driving in a spirited manner and my car is in Insane mode 100% of the time. I may be a grandpa, but I sure as hell don't drive like one as long as my grandkids or wife aren't with me.
Well you are indeed ”The Yokester”. But, from one grandpa to another, keep it under 150 mph. Those grandkids are too precious.🙏

Last edited: