Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla has now had my car in Service for longer than I had it in my possession...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You guys have probably seen I had an issue with a rear brake caliper that was causing the brakes to rub and make vibrations on the highway. I sent the car in to Tesla in Toronto on the 6th of April.

They've been communicating back and forth with me, said they didn't have the particular brake caliper in stock and would have to order it in. Said they were going to replace both the rears proactively. I received notification yesterday morning that the parts were supposed to arrive that day and that they'd get to it today.

Today, after messaging with Tesla Service through the app, and determining that the car would be done today and planning to drive their Loaner S (which is locked in chill mode) back to them and get my car, I got a phone call from them.

They received the wrong "revision" of brake caliper and need to order 2 more in. The car will be there for another week.

I took delivery of this car on March 30th. Sent it to Tesla on April 6th and am not going to get it back until sometime after the 19th now.

All for a Brake Caliper.

Tesla has officially had the car in service longer than I've had it in my possession. By the time this is resolved, they'll have had it twice as long as I have.

Am I wrong to want some kind of goodwill from Tesla for this? I feel the company needs to compensate for this extra time that I don't get to enjoy my new purchase. Sure, they sent me a loaner, but it's Boring to drive stuck in Chill mode and just sits in my garage.

What do y'all think? What should I push for?

This is one of those situations I would say is unfortunate, yet it will turn out ok. Your issue Rob is entirely fixable, doesn't involve a paint shop or something that will cause you to look at the car with disgust as it isn't fixed to perfect condition. Yet I think Tesla made a mistake on the ordering or delivery of the part causing you even more time without your car.

I am of the mindset that I like to gain allies early on rather than enemies. Trying to maximize the situation might not gain one as much as later in the car ownership experience when bigger issues may or may not arise.

From personal experience. I had a rocker panel installed backwards. Second time brought the wrong color. Third time was a charm. Right color and right direction. Patted the ranger on the back and said s happens. Traded that for some out of warranty discounts with a remember when story....

I do feel for those early on without the car. The Tesla Grin:) is hard to have when it isn't around in the beginning.

Reactions: Phlier
You guys have probably seen I had an issue with a rear brake caliper that was causing the brakes to rub and make vibrations on the highway. I sent the car in to Tesla in Toronto on the 6th of April.

They've been communicating back and forth with me, said they didn't have the particular brake caliper in stock and would have to order it in. Said they were going to replace both the rears proactively. I received notification yesterday morning that the parts were supposed to arrive that day and that they'd get to it today.

Today, after messaging with Tesla Service through the app, and determining that the car would be done today and planning to drive their Loaner S (which is locked in chill mode) back to them and get my car, I got a phone call from them.

They received the wrong "revision" of brake caliper and need to order 2 more in. The car will be there for another week.

I took delivery of this car on March 30th. Sent it to Tesla on April 6th and am not going to get it back until sometime after the 19th now.

All for a Brake Caliper.

Tesla has officially had the car in service longer than I've had it in my possession. By the time this is resolved, they'll have had it twice as long as I have.

Am I wrong to want some kind of goodwill from Tesla for this? I feel the company needs to compensate for this extra time that I don't get to enjoy my new purchase. Sure, they sent me a loaner, but it's Boring to drive stuck in Chill mode and just sits in my garage.

What do y'all think? What should I push for?

If it were me, I would make sure not to yell and scream, but I would likely push for something they would actually be able to give me, like a wall connector or something.

Reactions: Phlier
Oh, man... what a horrible way to be introduced into the world of Tesla. :( Really sorry to hear about this... all over a brake caliper!

It seems like different auto makers have different policies when it comes to having to have maintenance done on vehicles recently delivered.

Back in the '90's, my Mother had a brand new Lexus that spent 30 days in the shop after they'd had it for just a week (transmission issue that they were having a problem getting parts for). Without even asking them for any compensation, the dealership gave my parents free oil changes for life, at 5k mile intervals, and said that any parts needed on the next scheduled maintenance would be free, as well as the labor on the service itself. A deal that they did make good on; Mom had that car for ten years and never paid for an oil change, nor for the first scheduled maintenance.

Also back in the '90's, I had a brand new Toyota Celica that had an air conditioning problem they couldn't sort out. Not a good thing when you live in the desert. The car would spend a week in the shop, then I'd have it a week, then the cycle would repeat. It was horrible. They wouldn't even pay for a rental. I asked them for a free oil change or two, and was told, "No, but we're sure sorry for all this inconvenience, and thanks for being our valued Toyota customer" as they showed me the door.

Just a little goodwill would go a long way in situations like this.

I think you should at least ask for a few months of free supercharging. All they can do is say no. ;)

This is one of those situations I would say is unfortunate, yet it will turn out ok. Your issue Rob is entirely fixable, doesn't involve a paint shop or something that will cause you to look at the car with disgust as it isn't fixed to perfect condition. Yet I think Tesla made a mistake on the ordering or delivery of the part causing you even more time without your car.

I am of the mindset that I like to gain allies early on rather than enemies. Trying to maximize the situation might not gain one as much as later in the car ownership experience when bigger issues may or may not arise.
The thing that's really bugging me is that it's just a Brake Caliper. For any other make, this would be in and out of the shop in 30 minutes because they'd have the parts on hand. I'm just baffled that Tesla Service wouldn't have a brake caliper on hand to complete the repair needed in the first day it's in the shop.

Yes, someone made a mistake. I understand people make mistakes. I guess when I handed over $98,000 CAD to a company for a car, I just had the expectation that said company would be able to service the car and not take over 2 weeks just for a brake caliper.

If it were me, I would make sure not to yell and scream, but I would likely push for something they would actually be able to give me, like a wall connector or something.
I wouldn't say I'm yelling and screaming, I'm just honestly pissed off at the moment. I'm thinking I'm going to push for a Supercharging credit. Already bought and paid for the Wall Connector.

Oh, man... what a horrible way to be introduced into the world of Tesla. :( Really sorry to hear about this... all over a brake caliper!

It seems like different auto makers have different policies when it comes to having to have maintenance done on vehicles recently delivered.

Just a little goodwill would go a long way in situations like this.

I think you should at least ask for a few months of free supercharging. All they can do is say no. ;)
Not only is it my first Tesla, but it's my first brand new car ever. I've been driving around used ones since I got my license back in 1998.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to push for supercharging credits. You're right, the worst they can do is say No.

The thing that's really bugging me is that it's just a Brake Caliper. For any other make, this would be in and out of the shop in 30 minutes because they'd have the parts on hand. I'm just baffled that Tesla Service wouldn't have a brake caliper on hand to complete the repair needed in the first day it's in the shop.

Yes, someone made a mistake. I understand people make mistakes. I guess when I handed over $98,000 CAD to a company for a car, I just had the expectation that said company would be able to service the car and not take over 2 weeks just for a brake caliper.
Stuff happens. It wasn't done intentionally and they are doing the best they can to get your car back to you.

Give people some credit.

Reactions: outdoors
Tesla does not keep most if any parts on hand. Fluids etc, bumper covers, yet very few actual parts. Most are ordered when you tap and approve the service. May not be the perfect option, but housing entire cars and parts is not the way the industry is headed. Not just Tesla.

Congrats on your first new car. A Tesla to boot.

Tesla does not keep most if any parts on hand. Fluids etc, bumper covers, yet very few actual parts. Most are ordered when you tap and approve the service. May not be the perfect option, but housing entire cars and parts is not the way the industry is headed. Not just Tesla.

Congrats on your first new car. A Tesla to boot.
Also, not a lot of rear brake calipers are being replaced I'd assume..... also since there are multiple variations it sounds like

I wouldn't say I'm yelling and screaming, I'm just honestly pissed off at the moment. I'm thinking I'm going to push for a Supercharging credit. Already bought and paid for the Wall Connector.

Not only is it my first Tesla, but it's my first brand new car ever. I've been driving around used ones since I got my license back in 1998.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to push for supercharging credits. You're right, the worst they can do is say No.
A bit of advice from someone who's owned cars for 50+ years now (yes, I'm nearly entering geezerhood). And since you've not asked for it, feel free to ignore this.

Make the request calmly and respectfully then stop talking as the ball's in their court. You can catch a lot more flies with honey than vinegar. I just had BMW NA buy back my X5 45e earlier this month because of extended and repeated delays in getting the HV battery replaced (6 mo.). And they refunded the total price paid.

Reactions: m a x i m u s
You’re driving a Model S for the price of a Model 3. Could be worse.
That's exactly what I was going to say. Ha ha. And even in chill mode, it could be actually quicker than a 'base' M3, or about the same as an LR, no? But regardless of that, you still have an S that can drive anywhere you want. You can drive it at 80+ mph if you want, right? It's just not stupid quick, correct? By the way, what's the 0-60 time in chill mode in that car? Just curious.

but but but I had to drive a nicer Tesla for weeks while they fixed my car!!!

Dealing with lemon law, and waiting for another Tesla over a brake caliper. 🤣
a 2017 Model S is way inferior to a new model 3, in my opinion. ESPECIALLY one locked into suck mode, probably without autopilot, and no mobile app access.

Anyway, it's not about this one repair. It's about time out of use, and about being prepared for the Tesla service experience. If they keep the car for a month, is that ok because it's one part?

Hopefully he doesn't have to lemon it, but when a car qualifies for a lemon buyback or replacement, we should all be doing it because that's the only thing that will make Tesla get their crap together and improve the product and service quality.

They're not a charity, they're a for-profit corporation.

I bought my Model 3 March 6th from Tesla in Indianapolis. It was a used 2019. The entire process went great, They were great to work with, the car is better then I expected. No issues at all. Love it. Well need to tint windows. But that will happen soon enough. Only reason I'm saying it is, I could of easily been you and you could be me. Just how it falls sometimes. I've been in situations like you before where ya get the short end of the stick. This time it didnt. Counting my blessings. For you, In few weeks here you'll have it all right and happy as can be and this will be in the past best way to look at it. Maybe next week you'll win the lotto and buy us all a new Plaid+

but but but I had to drive a nicer Tesla for weeks while they fixed my car!!!

Dealing with lemon law, and waiting for another Tesla over a brake caliper. 🤣

A model S in general may be a more expensive car (although not the one this OP is driving vs his own car) but there are many (including myself) who would not consider it an upgrade. I have had model S loaner vehicles when I dropped my car off at a service center (pre pandemic) and I could not wait to give it back to them. I hated it.

If Model S was the only available tesla, I wouldnt be driving one. Maybe thats blasphemy to some model s owners, but car size and handling are pretty personal things. I dont think we should fault the OP for wanting their car back, and wanting OUT of the model S.

Now, the lemon law stuff, etc... I think thats reaching quite a bit, I would agree.

Beats an Uber, but still a downgrade.

Anyway, I'd be starting to look at lemon law proceeding requirements. You're likely not qualified for it yet, but keep track of days out of service, etc.
I don't need to go that far with it, it's just a brake caliper in the end. Besides, lemon law isn't a thing up here. I just want them to toss in some supercharging credits or something.

And if there's a way to get the loaner out of chill mode... Besides consecutively going through 4 digit pin numbers lol