Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla has officially removed the mobile connector as a standard accessory with every new car purchase; now a $400 separate purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla Wall connector (or equivalent) is great for everyone except people who live in apartments, or temporary housing, or lease their home, or park in garages, or move frequently, or live in vacation homes part of the year, or take road trips where there's no L2 infrastructure. For those people, they either pony up the extra money for the charger or have no charging options at home which, according to many many posts here, is a bad idea.
I consider the mobile charger an essential part of the car for most people, so this is really just an add-on price increase.
You forgot 'people who just use the mobile charger with a 15-40 plug because there's very very very little benefit to a wall charger over a mobile charger in their garage'

I'm curious: which adapters did they include with your vehicle? I got only a NEMA 5-15. My friend, who ordered back in 2018, got both the NEMA 5-15 and NEMA 14-50 adapters. Did they include even more than that in the past?
They included 5-15, 14-50 and J1772. The older UMC was 40 Amps, rather than the current 32 Amp.

I don't need anxiety needing a cable when I pick up my car. I don't care if it is included or not. I just need a box to check for charging cables, right below the $1,000 tow hitch and right above the $12,000 FSD option. Not a problem.

I’d prefer that the mobile connector be included by default, with a “delete” option to save $200 or $250 if you already have one or don’t foresee a need for one.

It has to be included if you ordered it already, right? We ordered in October 2021 ... still waiting :(

I'm thinking there are going to be issues if they remove it from per-existing orders.

The only thing I can think of is that they are really getting hit with supply chain and somehow the don't want to admit it. So they will rather keep pushing deliveries without the mobile charger because at the end of the day thats what it counts, keep shareholders hopes and stock price up by making it happen. If people get screwed in the process I think they would not care much.

The only thing I can think of is that they are really getting hit with supply chain and somehow the don't want to admit it. So they will rather keep pushing deliveries without the mobile charger because at the end of the day thats what it counts, keep shareholders hopes and stock price up by making it happen. If people get screwed in the process I think they would not care much.
Tesla could just give a coupon to the Tesla Shop instead.

You could then buy the mobile connector when it comes back in-stock or buy something else (i.e. wall connector)

No doubt the Tesla Wall Charger is an elegant solution, and in some cases clearly relegates the Mobile Charger to a dusty shelf somewhere. But for those with more than one home (us), or multiple charge locations where only receptacles of various descriptions exist, the Mobile Connector is a perfect, cost-efficient solution. It’s all we use, barring Superchargers on trips. But even on trips its handy to plug in overnight at friend’s homes, even on 110v - 50 to 60 miles gained overnight is not nothing, and can make the difference the next day planning Supercharger stops and maybe even eliminating one.

Sending a new Tesla owner home with no way to home charge is a shortsighted mistake, IMHO.

Receiving my new Model Y this summer, OD 12/14/21.

I bought my Model Y with camping and travel in mind. I know, stupid idea to try in an electric SUV, but I'm kind of wild and crazy guy.
The money part of it isn't the biggest trouble for me. After the 65K+ car, and at considerable expense a 240V, 50 amp plug in the garage, bought a 14-50 adapter and insulated the garage. The 14-50 can charge like 30 miles/hr and will be my primary charge point. It should be an option at time of purchase especially when people were expecting it to be included. This summer after picking up my Model Y and driving it 120 miles I expect to be able to plug my car into my new outlet and start my Tesla story.
I believe Elon used a limited sample of owners and a sprinkle of greed to decide to exclude the cable. But it is what it is. I don't believe there are better electric cars than Tesla's on the road today.

I want to be able to update my order now to include the cable at time of delivery or have the option to purchase it at pickup. That is all!

Last edited:
Maybe this is presaging the
Tesla could just give a coupon to the Tesla Shop instead.

You could then buy the mobile connector when it comes back in-stock or buy something else (i.e. wall connector)

It's not really the price that's a problem, it's potentially delivering a car to an unsuspecting noob without any reasonable way of charging it.
Not everybody has convenient alternatives.

Things get muddy fast because of this: "Tesla originally included a charging cable with both Level 2 (240-volt) and Level 1 (120-volt) connectors, but at some point the company dropped the Level 2 connector from the included bundle." If you could not figure out you need to buy the 220v plug adapter ($35) then you won't use the mobile charger at all because the 110v setup only adds 3-4 miles per hour vs 28-30 for the 220v. WHEN did they do THAT? THAT is where the outrage is deserved IMHO. (My experience is from when the 220v plug adapter was included, 2018 M3 LR....I did not know they dropped that.)
https://chargedevs.com/newswire/why-is-tesla-no-longer-including-mobile-charging-cables-with-its-vehicles/