Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla has officially removed the mobile connector as a standard accessory with every new car purchase; now a $400 separate purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't wait for the stories about how Tesla sold some family a car with no way to charge it.
These cars have months long wait times. Is it wrong that I don’t feel bad for people that don’t take the time to research how to charge an EV they’re spending $50k+ on? Charge at a supercharger, buy a Tesla mobile charger if it’s in stock, buy a wall connector, or buy a J1772 mobile charger with an adapter. It’s not that hard.

These cars have months long wait times. Is it wrong that I don’t feel bad for people that don’t take the time to research how to charge an EV they’re spending $50k+ on? Charge at a supercharger, buy a Tesla mobile charger if it’s in stock, buy a wall connector, or buy a J1772 mobile charger with an adapter. It’s not that hard.
But Tesla has still not directly communicated anything officially either way to people with outstanding orders. Someone who doesn’t follow forums or twitter or YouTubers would have no idea and fully expect their cars to come with the mobile connector. Then they would be blindsided and not prepared when they pick up their car without one and Tesla doesn’t have any stock to sell them one.

Teslas are reaching “normal” people now and it’s not just EV/tech nerds buying them.

Reactions: RTPEV
There are plenty of 1st time EV buyers who are getting by with level 1 charging while trying to figure out long-term solutions.

Additional stats from Teslascope.

1650441068159.png

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Yeah but you never know when you'll need to use a 10-30 or 5-20 or 6-20. The whole point of the UMC is to have something that you can use to charge your car in an emergency, which is why I keep the UMC and all of the NEMA adapters in the trunk at all times.

My experience is that I was at the SFO long term parking garage and the garage with the ChargePoints in them was "full", as in the staff wouldn't let me in there. I don't think all of the CPs were full as about half of them were showing up as unused. In any case, I went into the other (older) structure and went to the NEMA 5 outlets, and realized that they were 5-20 instead of 5-15. So I got my 5-20 adapter out and used that one to charge.

Then you've got to at least get the 10-30 and 14-30, because for rental houses or relatives'/friends' houses, if they don't own an EV, they're most likely to have a dryer outlet. And of course, you should have the 6-50 and 14-50 because those are the most common outlets at camping sites and in garages that are equipped for EVs.

And that leaves just the 6-15 and 6-20 out of the mix, but at that point, you might as well buy the entire set.

It's nickel and diming regardless of whether it's $400 for a UMC or $35 for a 14-50 adapter. They should just raise the price of the cars and include everything.
As a counterpoint, I wrote Which NEMA Adapters to carry?. I began driving BEVs (all non-Tesla) since end of July 2013. I've been BEV only and w/no ICEV in my household of 1 since end of Jan 2019.

Have never ever used any NEMA outlets other than 5-15. Last time I did that was probably in Dec 2021 before I took my 80% capped former Bolt (by 80% temp limiter patch) on a road trip to LA (over 350 miles one way) to top it off to 80%. I almost never charge at home due to Pacific Gouge & Extort besides not owning the house I live in. I can charge for free or cheaper elsewhere.

I wouldn't want to leave my EVSE out in public parking (e.g. airport scenario). It might get stolen, even by copper thieves who might want the cable. Not worth it.

Reactions: RTPEV and STS-134
But Tesla has still not directly communicated anything officially either way to people with outstanding orders. Someone who doesn’t follow forums or twitter or YouTubers would have no idea and fully expect their cars to come with the mobile connector. Then they would be blindsided and not prepared when they pick up their car without one and Tesla doesn’t have any stock to sell them one.

Teslas are reaching “normal” people now and it’s not just EV/tech nerds buying them.
Like I said. I don’t feel bad for people that don’t do their own research of how they’re going to charge their car.

Like I said. I don’t feel bad for people that don’t do their own research of how they’re going to charge their car.
They could have researched when they ordered the car and settled on using the mobile connector with a 14-50 adapter as many do, had an electrician come install an outlet in preparation, and are just now waiting on the car to arrive and the mobile connector it’s supposed to come with. And now they would be caught off guard when their car arrives without one, without any prior warning.

• Informative
Reactions: RTPEV and Rocky_H
They could have researched when they ordered the car and settled on using the mobile connector with a 14-50 adapter as many do, had an electrician come install an outlet in preparation, and are just now waiting on the car to arrive and the mobile connector it’s supposed to come with. And now they would be caught off guard when their car arrives without one, without any prior warning.

If they order the car after April 17 and they expect a mobile connector, their research was done poorly.

And without any way to buy one because it's out of stock indefinitely.

As a counterpoint, I wrote Which NEMA Adapters to carry?. I began driving BEVs (all non-Tesla) since end of July 2013. I've been BEV only and w/no ICEV in my household of 1 since end of Jan 2019.

Have never ever used any NEMA outlets other than 5-15.
I mean, I've tried the 10-30 and 14-30 adapters on dryer outlets to test that they work, I've tried the 6-50 and 14-50 adapters in my own garage (on the Chargepoint Home (non Flex model) outlet, a 14-50 with a 6-50 adapter on it, which I normally use to charge my PHEV), and I have used the 5-20 adapter at the airport. I have plugged into a 6-20 outlet at my friend's house before. Did I really need to? Not really, I could have charged elsewhere, and I wasn't critically low on battery power. However, at some point, I'll probably find an outlet in a public parking lot on a road trip or a dryer outlet in the garage of a rental house where I can charge instead of going to a public charger. I'm of the mentality that it's better to have something and not need it, than to need something and not have it.
Last time I did that was probably in Dec 2021 before I took my 80% capped former Bolt (by 80% temp limiter patch) on a road trip to LA (over 350 miles one way) to top it off to 80%.
Did they do the recall repair on most of the Bolts out there yet?
I almost never charge at home due to Pacific Gouge & Extort besides not owning the house I live in. I can charge for free or cheaper elsewhere.
What rates is Pacific Gouge & Extort charging you? I mean, yeah, Pacific Gouge & Extort's rates kind of suck, and in theory, I could go a few miles away where there are some free EVSEs maybe once a week, but it's just not worth my time. On top of that, I'd have to charge to more than 60%, and my average depth of discharge would be much greater than 10-15%, which would be detrimental to battery life.
I wouldn't want to leave my EVSE out in public parking (e.g. airport scenario). It might get stolen, even by copper thieves who might want the cable. Not worth it.
If someone did try to steal my EVSE, I'd have some nice close-up video of that person on my Sentry Mode logs. That's the nice thing about staying plugged in; you can run Sentry Mode for days without it draining your battery.

If they order the car after April 17 and they expect a mobile connector, their research was done poorly.
Honestly I don’t even trust that April 17th date because it was never officially publicly announced. Just a screen shot of an internal memo which Tesla could easily deny was true or walk back on. And replies from SAs which have notoriously given unreliable or wrong information. Their website still doesn’t mention mobile connector not included anywhere when you try to order a car.

I won’t believe it until we see people over the next few months all getting their cars with the connector bundle.

These cars have months long waits. Most people should have it figured out by the time they get their car.
There's a month's long wait until there isn't. A friend recently ordered a Model 3 on March 26. He took delivery only 5 days later on March 31, 2022, after having been originally told the vehicle would arrive in Jun-Aug 2022. He scrambled for a charging solution upon initial delivery. The mobile connector got heavy usage on a standard NEMA 5-15 outlet during the first 2 weeks of ownership before he was able to get the Wall Connector installed.