TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Has Opened a New Plant

Discussion in 'News' started by Electric700, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Electric700

Electric700 Member

2. strider

strider Active Member

Interesting. Must be tax advantages for doing it that way.

3. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

But this Tesla plant in the Netherlands does not produce the Model S from scratch because it receives the vehicles for final assembly and send them on their way across the Continent. I think that this Tesla plant in the Netherlands should be upgraded to produce the Model S from scratch.

4. Electric700

Electric700 Member

I agree with you. May be they have plans for expanding the new plant at some point in the future.

5. schpere

schpere New Member

They are smart to do this. One, it allows for higher production levels in USA factory thereby making it more efficient. Also, let's them "tip their toe" into the Euro market without the massive investment a car plant will take. Also, they have not fully utilized the floor capacity of their California plant. I think they are only using a fraction of that actual space.

6. sublimaze1

sublimaze1 8Dec2012 / Leeroy Jenkins

This will also allow them to adjust manufacture for euro-spec production - if said construction is a savings. I am sure there is some tax or fee-based break for the assembly there (just like we have "final assembly" locations stamped on our cars).

They may even build the RHD version there if Britain becomes a big buyer like we think. Aus and Jap/HK will most likely be supplied by the Pacific based plant (then again, Musk does not think like the rest of us and all this is pure supposition).

7. callmesam

callmesam Member

Anyone know what Model S "final assembly" means?

8. LuckyLuke

LuckyLuke Model S P85DL

In Fremont the battery and motor are removed from the car and shipped separately to Tilburg. In Tilburg all they do is mount those back together, do an alignment and probably some final software update and the car is ready to be delivered somewhere in the EU.

9. Right_Said_Fred

Right_Said_Fred Model S - Sig. 283 EU

And the main reason for doing so is that the EU import tariff for parts (engine, battery) is lower than for cars. So they pay a tariff of 5% (not sure about that number) on the engine and battery and a tariff of 10% on the car minus the battery and engine. Because of the high cost of battery and engine this is worthwile and offsets the extra costs of hiring the building and personnel.

10. pfq1982

pfq1982 Member

Is there precedent for doing this by other manufacturers?

If Tesla is the first one to navigate the tariff rules like this, I wonder if there is risk of whatever European trade regulatory body saying there is a problem here. European governments love their tax revenue!

11. PeterSZ

PeterSZ Petrolhead Electrified

Correct. But I seriously doubt if they would have come to our Nether Land if we (the Dutchmen) wouldn't have bought so many S's as we did :biggrin:

12. jaanton

jaanton Roadster NA #1026

13. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

14. mhpr262

mhpr262 Member

I assume they are reserving the remaining production capability of the Fremont plant for the Gen III car. Also, as Elon has said, it makes more sense to produce cars closer to the markets where they will be sold to save transport costs. He's welcome to open a plant in Germany ... :smile:

15. Kaivball

Kaivball Member

There is capacity to make >100k cars per year in Fremont.

16. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

True but Tesla is using some of that space for indoor testing--something that wasn't possible when it was Toyota/GM. I don't think they'd want to get rid of indoor testing because it allows them to be paparazzi-free when they explore new designs.