Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Has Redesigned Model 3 Air Filter Cover to Make Replacement Easier

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just did my first air filter change in my Model 3. I had watched several videos about how hard it was to unscrew the air filter cover, so I was prepared for a fight. But my September 2021 Model 3 SR+ has a redesigned air filter cover, with the screw at the bottom of the cover and the tab at the top of the cover--making it way easier to get the cover off and on. This was a pleasant surprise and I'm haven't seen anything about this design change, so I'm wondering if mine is one of the first cars to get this feature. I definitely changed my air filters before it was necessary, so that may be why other folks haven't posted about it yet.

Other changes include rerouting of the orange power cables that used to obstruct access to the air filter cover. I was expecting to have to move those cables, but they aren't in the way anymore. I also didn't have to disconnect the speaker or light in the upper panel to do the job--something I've seen everyone do in all the tutorials I watched on YouTube. There was enough slack in those wires to get set that panel off the the right side and easily access the air filters.

Or maybe I'm just the last person to realize these changes?

PXL_20220402_170546248.jpg

PXL_20220402_170605727.png

I had purchased the air filter magnetic cover from Abstract Ocean (it was $30 plus shipping), but since they fixed the cover I don't need it anymore. If you have an older car and want a deal on this magnetic cover, message me. I'll probably ship it to you for $10 USD...just hate to throw it away since it's brand new.

How many miles on the filters you changed and how dirty were they? I only have 11k miles in 15 months. We had very bad smoke from fires last year and I am thinking of changing them out.
I have just over 15,000 miles on mine. The filters weren't very dirty at all so in hindsight I could've gone another six months. But I've seen so many people complaining about stinky air filters that I decided to do it every six months just to keep that from happening.

No forest fires here though, so you may see something radically different.

I just did my first air filter change in my Model 3. I had watched several videos about how hard it was to unscrew the air filter cover, so I was prepared for a fight. But my September 2021 Model 3 SR+ has a redesigned air filter cover, with the screw at the bottom of the cover and the tab at the top of the cover--making it way easier to get the cover off and on. This was a pleasant surprise and I'm haven't seen anything about this design change, so I'm wondering if mine is one of the first cars to get this feature. I definitely changed my air filters before it was necessary, so that may be why other folks haven't posted about it yet.

Other changes include rerouting of the orange power cables that used to obstruct access to the air filter cover. I was expecting to have to move those cables, but they aren't in the way anymore. I also didn't have to disconnect the speaker or light in the upper panel to do the job--something I've seen everyone do in all the tutorials I watched on YouTube. There was enough slack in those wires to get set that panel off the the right side and easily access the air filters.

View attachment 789159

View attachment 789164

I had purchased the air filter magnetic cover from Abstract Ocean (it was $30 plus shipping), but since they fixed the cover I don't need it anymore. If you have an older car and want a deal on this magnetic cover, message me. I'll probably ship it to you for $10 USD...just hate to throw it away since it's brand new.
Yes, I would like that cover for $10 as I get stressed lying upside down on the passenger seat changing the air filter

View attachment 789159

View attachment 789164

That change to the filter cover on Model 3 happened sometime after the Model Y came out in early 2020 (they share some of the same parts and all Model Y have it). I believe that Model 3s started getting the updated filter cover towards the end of 2020.

As for the orange high voltage wires not being there, that will be the case for all Model 3/Y that have a heat pump because they don't need the PTC cabin heater anymore and those orange wires went to that. Model Y all came with heat pump and I believe that Model 3 started getting them at end of 2020 as well.

That change to the filter cover on Model 3 happened sometime after the Model Y came out in early 2020 (they share some of the same parts and all Model Y have it). I believe that Model 3s started getting the updated filter cover towards the end of 2020.

As for the orange high voltage wires not being there, that will be the case for all Model 3/Y that have a heat pump because they don't need the PTC cabin heater anymore and those orange wires went to that. Model Y all came with heat pump and I believe that Model 3 started getting them at end of 2020 as well.
Thanks, good to know. I guess all the videos and threads I saw were for older cars.

Good to know. I've changed my MY filter once and was disappointed but not surprised at how difficult it was. Unfortunately Tesla's not alone in this regard - other cars I've owned have also made if far too difficult than it should be to change the cabin air filter.

Reactions: Baluchi
Good to know. I've changed my MY filter once and was disappointed but not surprised at how difficult it was. Unfortunately Tesla's not alone in this regard - other cars I've owned have also made if far too difficult than it should be to change the cabin air filter.
Before doing mine, I saw so many complaints about the design. Good to see Tesla heard those complaints and made changes. Your next Tesla should be easier to deal with.

All, using these air filters (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085HX67ZX?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details), I changed out the OEM air filters. I was very surprised how dirty my OEM's were after 23k miles.

This was not a hard job but I will tell you it'll take longer than you think. Lots of tight spaces and small screws. If you are looking for something to do, that I think is good maintenance, this may be a good project.

I just changed mine. I didn't realize I needed 2 of them. Tesla could've prompted me when I ordered, but anyway... The bottom filter was wet! On the bottom passenger corner. Is there a recall fix for this or after market remedy?
Haven't had any noticeable wetness the two times I swapped them, but I doubt it's something to worry about. Sounds like a good reason to replace them more frequently though.