Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla has ruined me for life...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, my 3-year lease on my Model S ends July 7, 2019. In preparation, I've begun looking for a replacement vehicle. Unfortunately, I cannot get another all-electric EV as I don't have a place to charge at my condo (LONG story). So having a Model S the past 3 years have been an absolute living hell; I love the car, hate the "charging" part. Again, this is a long and complicated story but has been a lesson learned. :(

What do you drive after having a Tesla for 3 years?! I test drove a few Acuras today but the engines are loud, they're rough as can be, shifting gears is painfully obvious, and there is zero power compared to the Tesla. The sales person was like "Oh, you're going to love this 280hp!" In the back of my mind I was thinking "Yeah, well my Model S has over 500 so, good luck with that..." The Acura RDX had the performance of a dead turtle. o_O

Believe it or not, I might just settle for a fully-loaded Honda Accord Hybrid. The CVT is the closest thing to a smooth transmission, similar (albeit loosely) to the Tesla.

I'd be curious to hear the experience of others who are transitioning from a Tesla to another type of vehicle. I feel like we need to create a support group for "Ex-Tesla Owners" to help each other cope with the PTSD. :oops:

I’m not transitioning to an ice but I do own an ice that I drive on some weekends
It’s a BMW M5 with a V10 engine and I love it. Don’t love having to fuel it up same day but other than that it’s a fantastic vehicle.

Have you considered a Lexus LS or the new bmw m5?

• Helpful
Reactions: Heathman
Great question!

If you’re coming from a Model S and plan to spend similar money for a similar size car, my short list would be:

• BMW 5-Series - great for “spirited driving” with an athletic feel. (My first. nice ICE car, and I still miss it, like a first love)
  • Audi A7, maybe S7
  • Mercedes CLS; new “mild-hybrid” electric assist. (My car previous to my Model S, really loved it)
  • Mercedes E-class coupe; great looks, solid car

I also like your Accord hybrid idea but I think hybrid is a middle ground I just wouldn’t take..... either ICE or pure electric is how I’d probably go. You’ve tasted real performance with your Model S; unless you’re really green and not big on performance, I fear that a hybrid will be unsatisfying for you.

Just my two cents - car buying is a highly personal decision. Let us know what you choose!

There is no going back, most other usable cars will feel like going back to steam-age.
There is simply nothing that really compare to the daily usability and crazy performance we got accustomed to.

The real problem, is that you cannot charge correctly, (over night, at home)

Deal with the problem.
I understand this is a tesla forum but that statement is simply not true.

Taking five seconds to plug in at home compared to fifteen minutes at a smelly gas station and starting every morning with a full tank is just so much better. On trips, the charging stops are typically fifteen minutes--same as a gas burner. The driving experience is just so much better than any ICE vehicle that I'd never go back. We no have no gas cars, only electric cars.

This will sound a bit bizarre but go drive a new Impala or Caddillac CT6, front seat will feel a little cramped but only due to the tall console.
My wife has a 2014 Impala with thet300hp V6, I have a 2014 P85, other than hating front wheel drive I don't mind driving the car.

Driving a 2019 Toyota Highlander rental this week I expected more of a higher end Toyota. Engine noise under acceleration is notably loud.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I do truly appreciate it! ;) The recommendations are great. I've considered Audi, BMW, Lexus and Volvo. I had high hopes for the Acura but that didn't pan out, unfortunately.

@Brettski - You're absolutely right about car buying being a personal experience... I too am a bit worried about the performance, or lack thereof, with a hybrid. I just love the thought of 48mpg though, especially as our prices hit $4.50+ here in SoCal.

I might consider this chapter of my life a break from EVs until I purchase a home, have a garage, and can install a wall adapter. :)

Again, I really do appreciate all the great ideas and positive support!

Thanks for the input, everyone. I do truly appreciate it! ;) The recommendations are great. I've considered Audi, BMW, Lexus and Volvo. I had high hopes for the Acura but that didn't pan out, unfortunately.

@Brettski - You're absolutely right about car buying being a personal experience... I too am a bit worried about the performance, or lack thereof, with a hybrid. I just love the thought of 48mpg though, especially as our prices hit $4.50+ here in SoCal.

I might consider this chapter of my life a break from EVs until I purchase a home, have a garage, and can install a wall adapter. :)

Again, I really do appreciate all the great ideas and positive support!
We’re getting there as well here in NorCal, which is why the M5 is tucked away neatly for weeks at a time.

Although I’m selfishly happy about higher gas prices, because maybe that’ll sell more Model 3’s or other EVs

• Love
I understand this is a tesla forum but that statement is simply not true.

More than one of those require rather perfect shifting to achieve the times, but you are free to tell me which are good all around cards, winter and summer, for daily use, preferably also in deep snow:
List of fastest production cars by acceleration - Wikipedia
I love to hammer it in crossings and roundabouts, and the rest need service rather frequently after such use.

Reactions: SSonnentag
More than one of those require rather perfect shifting to achieve the times, but you are free to tell me which are good all around cards, winter and summer, for daily use, preferably also in deep snow:
List of fastest production cars by acceleration - Wikipedia
I love to hammer it in crossings and roundabouts, and the rest need service rather frequently after such use.
You’re not gonna do so well with a model s in deep snow.

Perfect shifting with a dual clutch paddle shifters is not hard. Making it seem like it is, is dishonest
Yes the P100D is half a second quicker than the M5 0-60 but in the 60-70 range blink and the m5 is right there with you. Blink again and you’re now slightly behind it

The m5 is perfect for daily use, it’s extremely comfortable to drive and it’s a sedan with plenty of storage for your daily needs.

The new AWD M5’s are also good in taking corners at high speeds.

The M5 and the Model S are in the same “great car” category.

If bmw made the m5 electric with exact same specs as it is now, would you not consider it a model s competitor?

On trips, the charging stops are typically fifteen minutes--same as a gas burner.

This is simply false. There’s no sense lying to people.

I started my Tesla experience with a 1150mi road trip (~850 roundtrip open interstate driving). Of the 7 charge stops over the road, 1 was 20 minutes, 1 was 60 minutes, 1 50 minutes, and the rest 35-40. I’ve done this trip more than 20 times in various gas powered cars and the Tesla added over an hour one way to an average 8 hour trip, and 2 on the return as we got stuck in line at Indio for 55 minutes just waiting for a charger.

That doesn’t include the 4 charges I had at my destination. Only 1 was conveniently available in the parking garage I wanted to be that day (although not really necessary at the time), one was a trickle from a “supercharger” giving 18kw that I gave up on after 30 minutes, and one was mercifully at the only 120kw charger we discovered but was still 35 minutes at 12am and 20 minutes round trip out of our way after a long day when we really wanted to be at the hotel sleeping.

Daily commuting with home charging, EV’s are massively convenient. They are TERRIBLE at long distance travel if speed is a priority. And very inconvenient if you don’t have a charger at home/work. My most recent supercharging session added 76 miles in 25 minutes. Anyone can do the math how often you’d have to stop and that’s 67% longer charge time that you’re claiming.

No one but myself can determine what's best for me. If I were in the OP'S situation I would have very much been aware of the problem shortly after taking delivery of the S. Actually I would have had a strong suspicion it was a potential problem. Regardless I would have had the better part of three years to identify a solution and put a plan in place to implement said plan. The purchase of an ICE would in no way be part of the plan.