Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla has wiped away any mention of Blind Spot Detection / Lane Departure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very true.
We just came back from the traditional Thanksgiving pilgrimage and several family members took turns driving and they were quite blown away with the car,, up until the car tried to remove a few diesel fuel tanks (joking)
Tried explaining to them that the little 'arches' showing on the dash, was proof the car were seeing the truck, then it wasn't seeing the truck (under the trailer section), then the senors was seeing it again (tractor section).
The car never moved away from the truck during all of this dash "notifying". I have read in other posts, that the car will warn the driver if it encounters a near miss but the range on these senors is only around 18"?
By the way, the car has never exhibited BSM or CA, you have to drive the old fashion way - EYESIGHT!!

Reactions: neroden
It isn't mentioned on the order page either like it used to be. They talk about the full autonomy on the order pages, but no mention of blind spot warning or lane departure warning. The Enhanced Autopilot should have these features if AP 2.0 will match the capability of AP 1.0.

I guess we will see if they ever add those back in as features once AP 2.0 is up and running. Tesla has never been bashful about touting future capability.

I am 110% sure that AP2.0 will have blind-spot detection and line departure aids. Also, you can be sure that it'll be much better than in AP1.0 (because of cameras vs ultrasonic sensors).

how bad is the BSM on tesla? i just confirmed my order and now seeing lots of posts on tesla BSM being awful. on my current vehicles, BSM is one of feature I really like specially with the mirror indications.

while test driving, i could not really figure the performance of the BSM though i did mention to the sales person the lack of mirror BSM indicator light and he said, 1.0 AP BSM is not so good and people rely on rear view camera -- but it is expected to improve a lot on AP 2.0 ? any clues on what these improvements are and will it get on par with other cars BSM performance?

Blind spot detection in most competitors use rear radars. This has been so far the best method. Tesla does not have rear radars, not even in AP2. In AP1 they use ultrasonics only that have a range of single-digit meters, where as, say, Audi radars can see fast approaching autobahn cars from a long way... Also, no Tesla has any kind of mirror indicators (not in AP1 or in AP2).

AP2 has rear-facing cameras on the sides, so in theory they should be able to reach similar and better level of reliability on this as the older Volvo system that also uses cameras. Whether or not we'll still miss those rear radars remains to be seen I guess...

I agree AP2 will have blind spot detection eventually, it must have for automatic lane changes in Enhanced Autopilot (let alone future full self-driving). Incidentally the lack of long-range rear visibility is the reason AP1 does not have automatic lane changes (instead initiated by user), I believe.

• Helpful
Looking at Reeler's image in message #14, it seems to me Tesla just removed all the automated safety points from the specs. This is MUCH more likely just because no AP2 safety features are shipping yet (to be enabled by software later), so this way they are not overpromising to current buyers.

I would not worry about that.

But lack of rear radars and lack of side-mirror warning lights is a fact of life even for AP2, so that is something to understand, if such things matter to you.

• Informative
I hesitated responding to this thread because it ranks up there with one of the most silly - do you really think AP2 won't have blind spot detection or lane departure warning? I think your answer is in the below text from the page you pasted. Both would be classified as "active saftey technologies":

• Active safety technologies, including collision avoidance and automatic emergency braking, will become available in December 2016 and roll out through over-the-air software updates

Looking at Reeler's image in message #14, it seems to me Tesla just removed all the automated safety points from the specs. This is MUCH more likely just because no AP2 safety features are shipping yet (to be enabled by software later), so this way they are not overpromising to current buyers.
Before AP 1 software shipped, they advertised these features. Change in policy / approach?

Before AP 1 software shipped, they advertised these features. Change in policy / approach?

Yes, I would assume a change in policy - maybe they've grown more cautious since pre-AP1 days or they are doing this because the existence of AP1 makes it more pressing to advertise the difference (to cover their rear end so to speak).

Tesla is aiming at a full self-driving and also enhanced autopilot with automated lane changes. They must implement blind spot detection for those... and I can't see them not offering that warning out loud also, not only for the automation...

Last edited:
Reactions: Vitold
I hesitated responding to this thread because it ranks up there with one of the most silly - do you really think AP2 won't have blind spot detection or lane departure warning? I think your answer is in the below text from the page you pasted. Both would be classified as "active saftey technologies":

• Active safety technologies, including collision avoidance and automatic emergency braking, will become available in December 2016 and roll out through over-the-air software updates

I agree. A more plausible (than lack of BSD) explanation for that wording indeed is that blind spot detection is either baked into "active safety technologies" as you say or "collision avoidance" or it simply comes later than the December 2016 update...

Still, the lack of rear/side radars does worry me. Not just for poor weather blind spot detection, but for the entire full self-driving thing... Tesla really tries to get away with a minimal sensor suite still in AP2, the Germans have been shipping far larger sensor suites for far less feature demands...

I'm not saying this as in a worry that no self-driving appears, let alone that no blind spot detection comes, it is more a worry of their quality in poor conditions (rain, snow etc.). Redundancy through rear and side radars, like Volvo and the Germans do it, would have been nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: BozieBeMe2
well i am glad they are trying to be honest, maybe even responding to the feedback on this forum that the BSM is virtually useless ... especially when you consider what most other manufacturers offer, even a 20-25k honda or mazda. we have a 2013 mercedes with mirror BSM that is 100% reliable - it is spot on. not that it makes me stop looking anyway, but it's nice to take a quick glance and decide if i want to make a lane change before turning my head to look.

i am glad they removed the wording for now until it's more reliable. we didn't have it on our 2014 S60 so we used plain old eyesight, which we learned within a few days is still a must on the 2016 P90D with AP 1.0. the blind spot graphics on the new car just aren't reliable at all, so i ignore them completely.

What's funny is that I swear that in a video or older screenshots that I have seen there being a "red" indicator when you put your turn signal on when there is a car detected in the blind spot. My Model X does not give any info on BSM.

I wasn't aware my 2016 P90D had blind spot detection. Without the indicator on the mirrors (where I'm looking when I'm about to change lanes) how am I supposed to know somebody is in my blind spot? Is it just on the dash?

It does bug me that every other car over $40k these days seems to come with mirror indicators for blind spot, but the Model S doesn't.