Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla has wiped away any mention of Blind Spot Detection / Lane Departure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wasn't aware my 2016 P90D had blind spot detection. Without the indicator on the mirrors (where I'm looking when I'm about to change lanes) how am I supposed to know somebody is in my blind spot? Is it just on the dash?

It does bug me that every other car over $40k these days seems to come with mirror indicators for blind spot, but the Model S doesn't.

Yes, on the dash.

The biggest problem with Tesla AP1 cars, though, is the technology used to implement the blind spot detection: ultrasonics only.

That means no detecting a car fast approaching the blind spot, no detecting a car at a longer than usual side distance in the blind spot and possibly even difficulty sensing cars within range in some speed scenarios due to ultrasonic latency.

Most other cars use rear corner radars for BSD which is infinitely superior in range and speed. Some have also used side cameras (Volvo at least) as Tesla AP2 will use.

I think the confusion is by design. they can allude to "active safety features" and then depending on what features end up getting "approved" (and who is/are the approvers???) they release "features" in an update. I have the new AP2 hardware in mine and it has two cameras on each side (forward and back) so it OUGHT to be able to do some super amazing BSM (especially compared to current non camera cars). As to if/when I'm sure it will be December as Elon says /end sarcasm/

Why do we think we need radar or long range sensors for blind sport detection? If we are talking about lane changes, then we are talking about a car being in the blind sport the next lane over, which means it ought to be no more than a few feet away, maybe 10 tops. Maybe someone can map out the blind spot for an s or x and we can see exactly. This should be in the range of ultrasonics.

If tesla is right about full auto drive hardware for ap v2, then blind sport det cation ought to be practical with those sensor suite.

My AP1 car has blind spot detection. A fast moving car coming up in the lane next to me, but which is not in my blind spot, should be visible in the mirrors-- that is by definition not in my blind spot, since I can see it.

As the driver, it's my responsibility to check the mirrors. The Tesla system just literally checks the blind spot. It does mostly do away with the need for an over-the-shoulder check, although I do one anyway.

Very disappointing that the BSM in my 9/29/2016 has never worked reliably. It was advertised online and confirmed by the salesman as functional and "amazing" although I assumed in a good way. My timing was terrible as v2.0 of the AP was released days after my purchase. The BSM in my Lexus was 100% reliable. The AP is also flaky.

In pre-Tesla fanboy days, we used to call this "bait and switch". That's also illegal.
I still don't have the ability to store music on the onboard hard drive. Another advertised features when I ordered my car.

Tesla really needs to stop advertising features they haven't implemented yet. Really, really needs to stop doing it. But I'd settle for them *not breaking features they already had*, which is something they've done with nearly every software update.

There's a lot of stuff wrong with Tesla's software development practices. Lots and lots. I have no respect for their software team, except for the UI expert who designed the very first version of the software -- who is now gone.

Hardware is amazing though.

I still don't have the ability to store music on the onboard hard drive. Another advertised features when I ordered my car.

Tesla really needs to stop advertising features they haven't implemented yet. Really, really needs to stop doing it. But I'd settle for them *not breaking features they already had*, which is something they've done with nearly every software update.

Soon there will be competition from the luxury German brands and maybe a new startup or two. Tesla can do whatever they like right now as there is no decent long range EV option. Tesla will have to mature or they will see their star fall out of the sky.

The Tesla sales consultant definitely sold those to me. Found out the other day it doesn't work as my car's AP pulled me into a truck.

"Truck love" is some scary stuff. About 8 months ago on a cross-country trip it nearly was the end of me.

Give details on your experience? Was there actual contact?

I always freaked out to avoid contact before the Tesla could start "side humping" the truck. Makes driving on AP more stressful than driving manually and why my wife will not turn on the feature..

"Truck love" is some scary stuff. About 8 months ago on a cross-country trip it nearly was the end of me.

I always freaked out to avoid contact before the Tesla could start "side humping" the truck. Makes driving on AP more stressful than driving manually and why my wife will not turn on the feature..

My wife hates it as well. And now I am not so sure I like it. Was a sudden pull to the right traveling at 70 mph on a 4 lane highway while in the left lane. I always keep my left hand on the wheel. Unfortunately I was not at 10&2. This is what $22,000 in damage looks like. Thank god for insurance.
IMG_7599.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: ModelX

That's why I say with AP accidents are less likely to happen because you are more cautious than not using AP!

Oh and when you say something negative about AP, people will simply tell you not to use it!

Back to topic, of course Tesla has to wipe away BSD. It simply doesn't work reliably and the implementation of such feature is just stupid. I just don't understand how they don't get many more class actions. Tesla owners are more tolerate?

Last edited:
Reactions: Reeler
I hear what the comments are saying about using cameras for blind spot monitoring in AP2 but the proven radar approaches have another benefit and that is rear cross traffic alerting. Subaru, Honda, Mazda, Mercedes and more now offer this. Now you just can't do this with cameras as they aren't in the corners and pointed in the correct directions and the ultrasonic just don't have the range.

Checkout :

My AP1 car has blind spot detection. A fast moving car coming up in the lane next to me, but which is not in my blind spot, should be visible in the mirrors-- that is by definition not in my blind spot, since I can see it.

As the driver, it's my responsibility to check the mirrors. The Tesla system just literally checks the blind spot. It does mostly do away with the need for an over-the-shoulder check, although I do one anyway.

Funny, this expensive tech laden car still needs the driver to check the mirrors for the blind spot. My Chevy Bolt has Blind spot detection and it works well. It's a feature that Tesla should have and they dropped the ball,

Reactions: Reeler