Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla has worst customer service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you're right, I've never had a "catastrophic" issue and I hope that most other owners never do either. What % of service is for "catastrophic" issues? 1? 10%? No idea.

It has to be higher than that or the physical service centers wouldn't exist.

And you're right, I do hope that if I ever have one, all of the horrible issues I've read about will be gone by the time it's my turn.

It won't be as long as people like you and @clydeiii that I just quoted continue being Tesla apologists when they don't even have any experience to draw from for the specific purpose of this conversation. Hint: mobile service isn't the issue. It's also regional with the service centers so to a few people who are fortunate enough to live near one of the good ones they incorrectly assume that's how ALL Tesla Service Centers are. This is incredibly myopic.

The OP makes people reflexively defensive though when they categorically state that "Telsa has the worst customer experience." That's simply not true. Yeah, maybe it sucks 1% or 10% of the time, and if so, yeah that sucks big time. But for all of my experiences, and those include both mobile service and taking it into the service center, the customer service experience far exceeds any other repair experience I've ever had. Bar none. Just the act of paying via mobile app makes things way better. When I've had work done at SC during pandemic, it's been a touchless experience both times and it's amazing. I pay via app, they leave keycard in trunk and I swing by after they've closed and use my phone to unlock trunk then keycard to take the car out of service mode. So seamless. No in person interaction with a human at all. That's incredible.

You're making up numbers to try to diminish the problem that countless people are saying is real with real first-hand facts. The rest of the statement completely ignores the real problems that exist if you have a more unique problem and your car is inoperable for longer periods and you don't live 5-minutes away and don't have the ability to call and talk to a human being. Ever.

I am not making up numbers, I'm asking for them. If you have them, please provide. Surely the number isn't "countless." And the people who have the worst experiences always complain the most online, making it seems like their experience is the norm. It might be. I would like to see numbers back up the anecdotes.

I can only relate my experience, not someone else's. Three years and 106,000 miles with ZERO issues.

Good for you. I'm happy for you, truly. I dream of having this experience should I ever need it and I hope to never even need it in the first place. Knowing what awaits me though based on roughly the same amount of ownership should the worst happen is not a comforting feeling.

I also see that you're in Arizona and I've heard good things about region. In fact, when my problems with dealing with Denver area Tesla Service Centers were at their absolute worst I was considering driving to Arizona or SLC, UT to try to resolve my issues. Think about that for a minute. Think about how bad things must have been if I was genuinely considering that my last and only course of action to reach a resolution.

Try to consider others before you're so quick to rush to judgement based on your own personal experience at your own SC because there is ZERO consistency across Tesla Service Centers and this is one of the glaring issues. So many people are so quick to discredit other user's experience based on theirs because they can't imagine that not everyone is sharing the same experience.

• Love
Reactions: luke68bird
As to your point about "the specific purpose of this conversation," if this thread is just meant to be an echo chamber where only people who have had bad experiences are allowed to post and no one can offer their more positive experiences, then just say so so I can see myself out.

I am not making up numbers, I'm asking for them. If you have them, please provide. Surely the number isn't "countless." And the people who have the worst experiences always complain the most online, making it seems like their experience is the norm. It might be. I would like to see numbers back up the anecdotes.

You see, I keep seeing this on this forum: "only the people with negative experiences are most vocal" but let me ask you this: why did Tesla intentionally remove any and ALL ability to call and talk to someone at a service center? Their text/email/mobile system is clearly not capable of filling that void so if their customer service is on-par with every other dealership's service center why is there no local phone number. No name of someone I can hold accountable to resolving my issue and them being motivated by such accountability? Instead, no phone number, no CRM, no way to escalate your issue if you can't reach a resolution and nobody has any idea what's going on at any given time at the Tesla Service Center. This is why I continue saying that "Tesla customer service is the worst" because it is.

As to your point about "the specific purpose of this conversation," if this thread is just meant to be an echo chamber where only people who have had bad experiences are allowed to post and no one can offer their more positive experiences, then just say so so I can see myself out.
The problem is the way you (and others) present your positive experience and belittle those who don't agree with you 100% as them being the problem and simultaneously defending Tesla who can do no wrong in your eyes.

I am trying my best here not to belittle anyone. Where in my posts did I do that? I'll go back and re-read them now and if I see something, I will apologize for that. I didn't meant to belittle you or your experiences in any way. In fact, I am horrified when I read about your experiences and hope I win the lottery and never have to deal with those.

You see, I keep seeing this on this forum: "only the people with negative experiences are most vocal" but let me ask you this: why did Tesla intentionally remove any and ALL ability to call and talk to someone at a service center? Their text/email/mobile system is clearly not capable of filling that void so if their customer service is on-par with every other dealership's service center why is there no local phone number. No name of someone I can hold accountable to resolving my issue and them being motivated by such accountability? Instead, no phone number, no CRM, no way to escalate your issue if you can't reach a resolution and nobody has any idea what's going on at any given time at the Tesla Service Center. This is why I continue saying that "Tesla customer service is the worst" because it is.

Wow, your false entitlement to customer service amazes me. You think just because you drop major coin on a brand that made a bunch of promises to provide stellar service gives you the bat line to Tesla? Don’t you know that you need to be Twitter famous with a blue checkmark next to your name in order to be addressed?

• Funny
Reactions: jamgolf
Wow, your false entitlement to customer service amazes me. You think just because you drop major coin on a brand that made a bunch of promises to provide stellar service gives you the bat line to Tesla? Don’t you know that you need to be Twitter famous with a blue checkmark next to your name in order to be addressed?

Y'know what? You're right. I just need to be a bigger social media influence to get my inoperable car repaired in a timely manner.

• Funny
Reactions: dipper
Y'know what? You're right. I just need to be a bigger social media influence to get my inoperable car repaired in a timely manner.

It's pretty appalling when someone thinks a suggestion like that is some sort of a "solution"... False entitlement to customer service? What? The? Actual... F...? (EDIT: Was that sarcasm? Man I hope so...)

Tesla service is garbage, Tesla corporate ethics are garbage, Tesla as a company is garbage. They've proven this time and time again and while I have no doubt there are "happy customers" out there, I don't meet very many of them anymore. Yet... Because their product is other worldly none of those other issues seem to matter. Certainly not in Q to Q sales figures...

There was a time in the long ago where the company was legit, ethical, and provided high quality customer service and treated their customers like a customer buying a $100K+ product should be treated (like it or not how much you pay absolutely influences your expectation of customer service). Then Tesla began to move on from just the Model S and that's when it all started falling apart and has been downhill ever since. Even now Tesla makes stunning mistakes that just make you shake your head... Combine that with a CEO who is against public health and forced his factory workers back to work despite COVID-19 and local officials desperately trying to stop him and wouldn't you know, a COVID outbreak occurred at the factory. Now you have that same CEO touting anti-vaxx BS on top of everything else he think he knows but clearly doesn't. It's LONG past time Tesla get rid of Elon and bring someone in that actually knows how to build/service/support CARS... Sure he's great at rockets, the things SpaceX has done have been amazing but good god someone please get him out of Tesla.

Sorry for the long rant here but the apologists (of which I used to be and I'll admit that) look like fools now...

Jeff

It's pretty appalling when someone thinks a suggestion like that is some sort of a "solution"... False entitlement to customer service? What? The? Actual... F...? (EDIT: Was that sarcasm? Man I hope so...)

Tesla service is garbage, Tesla corporate ethics are garbage, Tesla as a company is garbage. They've proven this time and time again and while I have no doubt there are "happy customers" out there, I don't meet very many of them anymore. Yet... Because their product is other worldly none of those other issues seem to matter. Certainly not in Q to Q sales figures...

There was a time in the long ago where the company was legit, ethical, and provided high quality customer service and treated their customers like a customer buying a $100K+ product should be treated (like it or not how much you pay absolutely influences your expectation of customer service). Then Tesla began to move on from just the Model S and that's when it all started falling apart and has been downhill ever since. Even now Tesla makes stunning mistakes that just make you shake your head... Combine that with a CEO who is against public health and forced his factory workers back to work despite COVID-19 and local officials desperately trying to stop him and wouldn't you know, a COVID outbreak occurred at the factory. Now you have that same CEO touting anti-vaxx BS on top of everything else he think he knows but clearly doesn't. It's LONG past time Tesla get rid of Elon and bring someone in that actually knows how to build/service/support CARS... Sure he's great at rockets, the things SpaceX has done have been amazing but good god someone please get him out of Tesla.

Sorry for the long rant here but the apologists (of which I used to be and I'll admit that) look like fools now...

Jeff
Sorry you feel that way. That has not been my experience during my 3 years of ownership.

Dan

Three years of ownership, two Teslas. No complaints with service. If you're impatient, want stuff for free, or think you should get a retail price for your trade-in, you'll be disappointed.
I'm telling everyone I know not to buy a Tesla. They responded to none of my inquiries, though I tried through their online form, email, account, and even phoned some dealerships because there is no customer service line. Nothing but automated messages. Got my notification to pick up my new car, but only had a 3-day window with almost no notice. I drove to a dealership to speak with a human so that I could explain that I was out of the country during those 3 days. He said, "You may want to consider changing your flights. If you're unable to pick up during your assigned window, the car will be given to someone else, and you'll be placed at the beginning of the queue to wait for another vehicle. It will probably be another few months."
WOW. I've never in my life had a company work so hard to make me feel small and unimportant.

I know the downsides, but, anyone who has had with good dealership experience at any upmarket automaker knows Tesla’s service sucks.
Why can’t you call or speak to anyone at the service center and why is everything through emails and text. It’s impersonal and meant to get cars in and out as quickly as possible. The assembly line of service centers. At others, they get you a coffee, explain what needs to be done, give you a loaner, wash your car at the end. You can speak with the service manager. At some they will pick up and drop off your vehicle and leave a loaner. They’ll go above and beyond and try to help you out even with things out of warranty or the minimum basic requirement expected of service centers. At Tesla, everything is “to spec”.

Last edited:
I've had a model 3 for close to three years and from the time of placing my order through to today customer service has varied between adequate and terrible EXCEPT when interacting with the local mobile service guy (he's great to deal with). What is so frustrating about Tesla, in my experience, is the reliance on the app for communication and as such a reliance on vague, brief, ambiguous texts. I once got a call from a customer service person, had an ok conversation in which he asked me to email pictures of the issue, and never heard from him again, even after emailing again for a response. I hope that a competitor arrives soon that can then teach Tesla a lesson on customer service

Reactions: stcptl
I have owned a MS for almost 6 years now. Before the Model 3 showed up, service was absolutely world class. I would call and tell them about my issues, they'd fix it over the air or say come on in tomorrow and we'll fix it.

In the past 2 years or so it has changed so much. I can't call, email, or text service. To communicate I have to use the appointment app, even to ask a basic question, which I feel is not right if I don't need an appointment.

The people at the service center I use have been the same folks for the past 6 years. They are absolutely wonderful. But Tesla has built a wall around them that is basically impenetrable. Once I arrive with my car for an appointment they really provide the same great service as always. But it is so, so, so frustrating because I can no longer communicate with them. And Tesla has not increased their number of service centers anywhere near the increase in cars on the road. No wonder available appointments are weeks out. I believe that ZERO other luxury car manufacturers would treat us this way.

But...my car is a dream car, and I still look forward to driving every single day. I have a Model Y on order and can't wait. I am a repeat buyer and lover of the car despite their terrible customer service procedures. And I think they know this...they have no incentive to return to a high end service experience.

Reactions: stcptl
It is truly regrettable that my I will not be getting a Tesla S P90DL or P100D as Tesla's customer service is the worst I have ever seen or dealt with.

I currently own a 2019 Dodge Charger Hellcat with 30k miles on it and was ready to make the move the Tesla after I went one of the show rooms and drove a Tesla S. I went online and requested a trade in value on my car. The value came back 20k which I thought had to be a mistake. So I sent an email and was told they are very firm on those values. I told the guy this is somewhere between 40k and 50k trade in at minimum. He requested I send him the VIN number for the car and he would research it and get back with me. Well, to make this short, never heard from even with 3 follow up emails I sent asking if he found out anything.

So, a month later I decided to try another way and selected a used 2017 Tesla S P100D Ludicrous and clicked the "request call back" link and filled out all my information. A week and a half later I am still waiting with no call back. And with that I guess I am done unfortunately with Tesla. I am a big fan of the work they have done and want them to succeed, but this is how companies die......poor customer service. Worst part is I am already a customer as I was one of many that put money down on a Cybertruck.

Getting ready to get to check into solar power and a Powerwall. I hope that goes better than the car search.
Not for nothing...but..I've never dealt with a buying experience where I feel like im bothering someone for trying to make a 50k purchase. Tesla, has the worst customer service experience I have ever seen or felt and makes me super scared for the day I need a repair. Not only do they talk to you like you they don't give a *sugar* when they do talk to you, they make you...the customer...jump through THEIR hoops. They gave me 3 days to pick my car up ( Dec 23rd, 24th, or 25th) sorry but family is a little important.

I have owned a MS for almost 6 years now. Before the Model 3 showed up, service was absolutely world class. I would call and tell them about my issues, they'd fix it over the air or say come on in tomorrow and we'll fix it.

In the past 2 years or so it has changed so much. I can't call, email, or text service. To communicate I have to use the appointment app, even to ask a basic question, which I feel is not right if I don't need an appointment.

The people at the service center I use have been the same folks for the past 6 years. They are absolutely wonderful. But Tesla has built a wall around them that is basically impenetrable. Once I arrive with my car for an appointment they really provide the same great service as always. But it is so, so, so frustrating because I can no longer communicate with them. And Tesla has not increased their number of service centers anywhere near the increase in cars on the road. No wonder available appointments are weeks out. I believe that ZERO other luxury car manufacturers would treat us this way.

But...my car is a dream car, and I still look forward to driving every single day. I have a Model Y on order and can't wait. I am a repeat buyer and lover of the car despite their terrible customer service procedures. And I think they know this...they have no incentive to return to a high end service experience.
It's called stuck up their own ass. Believe me...im feeling this now...and the whole experience is frightening. No car is worth this level of frustration. Tesla really needs to do better....because even the people that love Tesla describe the experience like describing a hot ex girlfriend who was good in bed and nothing else. Like...I love it...its fun....but what a pain in my ass.

My experience with delivery was top notch. Mobile service has been good. I had to fight to get them to goodwill the hvac smell fix which was frustrating. Dealing with Tesla Finance also seemed to change around September of 21. They don’t reply to emails or answer the phone. I requested a call back then two hours later the agent that called asked the last six of my VIN, put me on hold to investigate, then proceeded to transfer me to an automated message that played telling me to email someone else and then hung up.

I have to agree communication is key and customer service important. Its an awesome car but the lack of good customer service will turn folks off to the brand long term if it doesn’t change.