Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Hate Crimes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a non-white person living in the United States, I'm trying to wrap my mind around the use of the words "Tesla" and "hate crime" together. I get what OP is trying to say, but "hate crime" isn't the right term for it.

Bruce.
You and me both, Bruce. As a lawyer, I just don't like the term at all...crimes of assault or battery (or vandalism) are almost always based on hate.

But OP, if you want to call this a hate crime, try driving in the Bay Area as a conservative who has political bumper stickers. Having things thrown at your car will be the least of your worries...

You and me both, Bruce. As a lawyer, I just don't like the term at all...crimes of assault or battery (or vandalism) are almost always based on hate.

But OP, if you want to call this a hate crime, try driving in the Bay Area as a conservative who has political bumper stickers. Having things thrown at your car will be the least of your worries...
So is it or isn’t it the right term? Isn’t hate involved in all these situations?

So is it or isn’t it the right term? Isn’t hate involved in all these situations?

As a matter of law, it's not the right term when it comes to either OP's situation or the one I described. There are certain laws meant to prosecute those who commit "hate crimes" and I don't know a single one that would apply to an assault motivated by the type of car a person is driving (or a sticker on that car, unless the sticker had a connection to a protected class such as religion or ethnicity).

I'm serious about the made in USA sticker to deter vandalism.

Unfortunately here in Australia Id probably get a panel kicked in for it, thanks Trump.

Yeah, here in PA there's been a few times where some back-country folk had been questioning me about my car and ended with something like "Yeah, it's nice and all, but I only buy American".

I think if you know your audience and choose your words carefully, a good chunk of the time you can end on a good note, even when they might come over to pick an argument.
Very true, +5 Charisma

When I got my WRX 15 years ago, there was a lot of hate for the car from the domestic guys. One night I rolled up the wrong car meet (Domestic) at night. Had a few approach me itching to pick a fight, defused the situation by mentioning I wanted a "HSV Clubsport" (known in US as Ponitact G8, redneck hero car) but couldn't afford it (was a student) so got this car for half the price. Got along great, I appreciated their cars and they were curious about my mine. Its about atttiude or lack of that is key.

Funny this is happening again with the next generation of technology.

Summernats is V8 or all V8 meets

Sorry u got me on this ..never heard that term??? ..apologies in advance I’m from SoCal :eek:

Funny that folks coal roll vehicles that have HEPA filters... I've experienced this on the interstate while traveling through another state. 1. Not very effective. 2. You just wasted $1. 3. You're just pumping out particulate matter for your family to breathe. Guess they showed me....

As someone who owns both a Tesla and F350 diesel. It's amusing to see the trucks look at me different between the two vehicles. When I'm in the truck they just leave me alone. Tesla? Can't tell you how many like to roar past me. Dumb as can be honestly. Makes zero sense?

Truck hauls stuff.
Tesla is cheaper to drive.

As someone who has owned both of the same vehicles, I understand.

Most of the folks who have wanted to "race" me were pretty good natured though.

Not a hate crime and Lord knows why this kid did it, but I was driving my mother around town and a teenager pulled up beside me at the stoplight, opened his window, and yelled "F--- YOU!!!" at the top of his lungs. I hadn't cut him off or anything.

Best response was my mother. She totally ignored the boy. Didn't jump in her seat or anything. I think that made him much more upset as he drove off.

I live in Chesterfield County, VA, so anything's possible. More than half the interested onlookers who talk to me do not believe it's an American auto maker despite any facts I show them to the contrary. When I say "Tesla," more than a few of them hear "Chrysler." Seriously.

Back to the OP. I'm no lawyer but have to think throwing objects from a moving car is some kind of misdemeanor crime. It's dangerous and you never know when that item could bounce off the roadway and onto your windshield. Hopefully there will never be a next time but I second the suggestion of a dash cam video sent to the police.

As a non-white person living in the United States, I'm trying to wrap my mind around the use of the words "Tesla" and "hate crime" together. I get what OP is trying to say, but "hate crime" isn't the right term for it.

Bruce.

Hate Crime is not just race related.

So I think OP is in the right when it comes to the vocabulary, especially when we are talking about within the car world/universe.

Although, some cases where you see someone flicking you off because you drive a Tesla would be more a bias incident than a hate crime.

As a matter of law, it's not the right term when it comes to either OP's situation or the one I described. There are certain laws meant to prosecute those who commit "hate crimes" and I don't know a single one that would apply to an assault motivated by the type of car a person is driving (or a sticker on that car, unless the sticker had a connection to a protected class such as religion or ethnicity).

Somewhat off topic, but religion is the one protected class that I don't think belongs. All the others(including LGBTQ status) are a matter of biology, and inherent to the person. It's more than a little strange that religion gets lumped in when anyone can decide to change their religion(or reject the idea entirely) at any time.

By all means, no reason to protect humans who make different choices than... er.. I guess whoever is in power. eh?

Somewhat off topic, but religion is the one protected class that I don't think belongs. All the others(including LGBTQ status) are a matter of biology, and inherent to the person. It's more than a little strange that religion gets lumped in when anyone can decide to change their religion(or reject the idea entirely) at any time.

By all means, no reason to protect humans who make different choices than... er.. I guess whoever is in power. eh?

Not about not protecting people. I just find it strange that religion gets that special consideration. No other thing you just choose/believe/like gets such protections.

The other special protections make sense, they're things that are inherent that a person can't choose or change. Treating those differently from, for example, which shirt you decide to wear, is reasonable.

> It’s the practice of modifying diesel exhaust systems to
> produce huge clouds of black smoke. [johnster007]

Not 'exhaust system' but the injection pump, specifically to vastly increase fuel input resulting in much unburned fuel. In a hot engine black smoke results (in a cold engine it would be white). Modifying injection pump can be a federal crime esp if done beyond any real needs such as pulling heavy loads. Operating well 'into the black' is a separate violation that points to the first violation, thus a 'twofer' that should be hard for any cop to resist. A stock diesel can't roll coal even if you try. The tall pipes are for effect, and so the driver doesn't have to breath his own politics.
--

Something similar happened to me (only once) and it happened while I was in Michigan.

I was plugging into a L2 charger at Meijer store in Warren, MI, when a guy in an older model Monte Carlo drives buy and screams at me... "Keep buying foreign you a$$hole".

I literally had to pick myself off the ground from laughter (prior to owning my Tesla, I've had 3 Honda's and 2 Lexus and this was the only time something like this happened).

I don't know if it is hate rather than fear of change which fuels this sort of thing.

• Funny
Reactions: EinSV and MarkKW