Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla hate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I had my first experience of ridiculous Tesla hate after just a week of ownership. A man walked by a row of us supercharging at a gas station and held a middle finger up while staring us down. Whatever you imagine he looked like, you’re probably correct. The idiot jumped into his red Ram pickup and drove off. It was like a skit, it was all so...cliche?

anyway...I am so baffled by Tesla hate. Perhaps it’s fueled by Elon’s not so subtle personality...perhaps it’s fueled by jealousy ...but it mainly seems to be a ‘green is dumb. Fuel burns! F the planet, snowflakes!’

Threatened by change. Just the most fascinating human flaw.

Apologies if there are multiple threads on this but wondering what other people’s stories are :)

• Funny
Reactions: RobRain and BZM3
I wonder if that person would flip off a row of empty Superchargers? You as the owner/buyer is not the enemy, just the harbinger of the future rolling over his comfortable known world. When fuel suddenly becomes scarcely distributed and more expensive reactions might not be just a finger in the air. Personally I've not experienced this yet, but up here in Maine people barely speak to each other and random Tesla Time always turns out to be with someone "from away".

It's happened to me twice for no reason or provacation within 1 yr of ownership of the Model 3. It never happened in the 3 years of Model S ownership, so this may be a new thing since there are more Model 3's on the road.

I think your right about "green is dumb. Fuel burns! F the planet, snowflakes!’" I may get flamed for stereotyping, but there is an assumption that a majority of truck drivers are conservative and E-Cars are owned by liberal leaning folks. Of course this is nothing scientific, but I love how every home service provider I have used over the years for electrical, plumbing, painting, roofing etc have all felt comfortable displaying their politics when I never ask or care and its always been very conservative. I could care less the reason, because it's all driven from ignorance.

It's happened to me twice for no reason or provacation within 1 yr of ownership of the Model 3. It never happened in the 3 years of Model S ownership, so this may be a new thing since there are more Model 3's on the road.

I think your right about "green is dumb. Fuel burns! F the planet, snowflakes!’" I may get flamed for stereotyping, but there is an assumption that a majority of truck drivers are conservative and E-Cars are owned by liberal leaning folks. Of course this is nothing scientific, but I love how every home service provider I have used over the years for electrical, plumbing, painting, roofing etc have all felt comfortable displaying their politics when I never ask or care and its always been very conservative. I could care less the reason, because it's all driven from ignorance.
I'm very right-leaning and own both. There's ignorance on both sides of the spectrum.

politically motivated

That may be, but its sent personally to all us owners in this fashion and the threats are real-not all the time but its only takes once to get you thinking.

My wife thought I was crazy mentioning it- she thinks that people are way too busy for this sort of thing. Then my daughter chimed in one day from the back seat- she's 19. She sees more then I do from her vantage point just in our car. Circling cars, trucks etc. Pull up alongside etc. Most of it is good, but there are some bad apples to be watched out for sure.

Now go back and reread that.....

You get mad about the stereotypes of who owns what kind of car based on their politics, then you go ahead and lump all of the "trades" as being conservative, with an air of "I'm better than them" thrown in to boot.

I'm a 12 year Navy Vet, from a family with a history of military service and voting conservatively.

I flipped my service into a college degree and a white collar career. I vote more Libertarian/middle of the road than I used to, because I'm no longer in the military, so voting Republican won't necessarily put me in line for pay raises anymore.

My wife grew up in rural VA in lower-middle class circumstances, no military service in her family, and her family is deep blue.

In our house, though......I have the Tesla. She drives the Chevy Colorado.

Appearances can be deceiving. Don't lump everyone according to their job or their car. That's part of the larger "disconnect" we've got between different subclutures in 2019.

Just do what I do when I spend time with the wife's family's more......Red side. Talk all day about how fast the Tesla is, then take them on a white-knuckle joyride down country roads.

:D

On the other hand I don't think there as many liberals rolling coal on or flipping off priuses and EVs in their trucks. But I could be wrong.
I somehow suspect that, generally speaking, the folks going out of their way to blast out clouds of soot from their tailpipes might not be the sort to have fully-thought-out political stances.

Those are simply the facts. I'm honestly baffled by the conservative Tesla owners who pretend this isn't reality.

I somehow suspect that, generally speaking, the folks going out of their way to blast out clouds of soot from their tailpipes might not be the sort to have fully-thought-out political stances.
9x% of people who roll coal voted Trump in 2016. If you want to call that out as a "not fully thought out political stance" well, not sure I'd disagree but that's the reality.
I'm 100% sure there are plenty of liberals with trucks, and plenty of conservatives with Teslas and priuses. On the other hand I don't think there as many liberals rolling coal on or flipping off priuses and EVs in their trucks. But I could be wrong.
You are not wrong. Basic statistics will validate this.
I'm very right-leaning and own both. There's ignorance on both sides of the spectrum.
Stupid people are plentiful in the US, left and right. Hating on EVs is mostly a RW phenomenon though. Just like hating on guns is more of a LW thing.

Agreed.

But in terms of the political spectrum thinking climate change is bogus and/or being hostile to EVs as a waste of money is on one side more than the other. So you'd expect this sort of thing to be compatible with that and incompatible with the opposite.

Well, I had my first experience of ridiculous Tesla hate after just a week of ownership. A man walked by a row of us supercharging at a gas station and held a middle finger up while staring us down. Whatever you imagine he looked like, you’re probably correct. The idiot jumped into his red Ram pickup and drove off. It was like a skit, it was all so...cliche?

anyway...I am so baffled by Tesla hate. Perhaps it’s fueled by Elon’s not so subtle personality...perhaps it’s fueled by jealousy ...but it mainly seems to be a ‘green is dumb. Fuel burns! F the planet, snowflakes!’

Threatened by change. Just the most fascinating human flaw.

Apologies if there are multiple threads on this but wondering what other people’s stories are :)
Maybe you or someone charging next to you is a terrible driver and cut the guy off on the way to this gas station.

• Funny
Reactions: DopeGhoti