Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla hate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Forget Trump and Clinton, Dems and GOP Voters Have Wide Gap in Car Choices

In a survey of 170,000 vehicles owners who identify with one party or another, automotive research firm Strategic Vision identified some clear, partisan choices.

Among Republicans, the survey found their top five vehicles are all pickups: the Ford F-150, Chevrolet Silverado, Ram 1500, Ford F250/350 and the Ram 2500/3500. That fits into their desire for vehicles that are rugged, powerful and prestigious.

Around 44 percent of Democrats said they’d be comfortable driving in an autonomous vehicle, but only 29 percent of GOP voters were fond of that idea.
While Strategic Vision found GOP-leaning motorists tended to be older, married white males, the study showed that Democrats are a more diverse group that, on the whole, tends to have a higher level of education. They’re more interested in green vehicles that are cool and also more economical.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/is-your-car-a-republican-or-democrat

upload_2019-11-18_12-36-18.png

https://nypost.com/2017/11/29/study-shows-the-car-you-drive-may-reveal-who-you-voted-for/
When sedans outnumbered pickup trucks, there was an 88 percent chance the city would vote Democratic.

In areas with more pickup trucks, the odds switched to 82 percent in favor of Republicans, the researchers concluded.

i luckily have only had people interested in my tesla with comments and questions, no hate but was one of the reasons i de-badged my car completely (aside from it looks nice). i figure a lot of the "haters" are also not the brightest and without the logo at least some of them wouldnt know what kind of car it is.

Reactions: Nocturnal
Forget Trump and Clinton, Dems and GOP Voters Have Wide Gap in Car Choices

In a survey of 170,000 vehicles owners who identify with one party or another, automotive research firm Strategic Vision identified some clear, partisan choices.

Among Republicans, the survey found their top five vehicles are all pickups: the Ford F-150, Chevrolet Silverado, Ram 1500, Ford F250/350 and the Ram 2500/3500. That fits into their desire for vehicles that are rugged, powerful and prestigious.

Around 44 percent of Democrats said they’d be comfortable driving in an autonomous vehicle, but only 29 percent of GOP voters were fond of that idea.
While Strategic Vision found GOP-leaning motorists tended to be older, married white males, the study showed that Democrats are a more diverse group that, on the whole, tends to have a higher level of education. They’re more interested in green vehicles that are cool and also more economical.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/is-your-car-a-republican-or-democrat

View attachment 478356

https://nypost.com/2017/11/29/study-shows-the-car-you-drive-may-reveal-who-you-voted-for/
When sedans outnumbered pickup trucks, there was an 88 percent chance the city would vote Democratic.

In areas with more pickup trucks, the odds switched to 82 percent in favor of Republicans, the researchers concluded.

But it's also fair to assume that vehicle choice isn't the primary factor in political affiliation. Meaning: NYC Dems are way less likely to drive pickups because...NYC...not because they're Dems. Texas Republicans are more likely to drive Dually Diesel Rams because it's Texas, and not NYC.

Vehicle choice is more often than not a function of NEED/functionality

Reactions: Sherlo
i luckily have only had people interested in my tesla with comments and questions, no hate but was one of the reasons i de-badged my car completely (aside from it looks nice). i figure a lot of the "haters" are also not the brightest and without the logo at least some of them wouldnt know what kind of car it is.

TWINSIES! (almost....I put my T logos back on, just plasti-dipped in Satin Black.)

I suspect that as Ford and other mainstream auto makers rollout their lines of Tesla influenced ev's, that hatred will diminish. For instance I bet that bozo would not flip off a row of Mustang Mach E's or their soon to come e pickups. Ironically the Mustang Mach e will be made in Mexico while your Tesla was made in the USA.

But it's also fair to assume that vehicle choice isn't the primary factor in political affiliation. Meaning: NYC Dems are way less likely to drive pickups because...NYC...not because they're Dems. Texas Republicans are more likely to drive Dually Diesel Rams because it's Texas, and not NYC.

Vehicle choice is more often than not a function of NEED/function.
Sure, it's not all causation. There is definitely a feedback loop to this though. I've known countless people who own pick ups just because it's a lifestyle choice. (I'm not trying to judge there, just calling it out)

If pick-ups are for (pick your descriptor) conservative, manly, hard working, farmers, ranchers whatever, and you identify with that group, then you are likely to buy one, even if you don't need that item. That happens on the other side too. How many bought Prius because they wanted to signal their desire to help climate change etc.? Corelation is definitely strong with vehicle choice.

And to be very clear, there are obviously around a hundred million or so of "conservatives" in the US, and the vast vast majority don't waste their time being jerks to Tesla owners. Most people on both sides of the spectrum just want to live their lives.

Reactions: bijan
I'm a conservative owner, and for 20 months I've only ever received positive or curious reactions to my car (including sentry footage) in Alabama, which is a heavily conservative state. There are lower-level lifeforms everywhere, on all political sides, and I'm sure I'll encounter one here one day. But seeing a Tesla is not something your average conservative person is going to have negative feelings about. It's quite the opposite in my experience.

I suspect that as Ford and other mainstream auto makers rollout their lines of Tesla influenced ev's, that hatred will diminish. For instance I bet that bozo would not flip off a row of Mustang Mach E's or their soon to come e pickups. Ironically the Mustang Mach e will be made in Mexico while your Tesla was made in the USA.

one can hope that more "american" cars diminish the EV/tesla hate but i think those people irrationally hating on telsa will be the sames ones to buy an EV mustang and still hate on tesla..

You know, for every 1 of those SOBs who flip you off, cut you off in traffic or just generally have an inborn hatred of Teslas and anything new and cutting edge, I bet I have spoken with 50 people who are excited to hear about the car. Now granted that 1 in 50 can cause a lot of damage by keying your car or blasting you with a coal run. But I try to focus on the positives and that is most people are very enthusiastic about BEVs and are hoping they can buy one in the future.

You know, for every 1 of those SOBs who flip you off, cut you off in traffic or just generally have an inborn hatred of Teslas and anything new and cutting edge, I bet I have spoken with 50 people who are excited to hear about the car. Now granted that 1 in 50 can cause a lot of damage by keying your car or blasting you with a coal run. But I try to focus on the positives and that is most people are very enthusiastic about BEVs and are hoping they can buy one in the future.
Agreed. Blatant hate is quite rare when you look at the sheer mass of people you see on a given day. It's important to keep things in perspective.

My father is as "conservative" as they come (I put quotes around it because he's pro Trump, who doesn't match the traditional definition of a conservative). We bought him a LR last year. He loves it, raves about it, and shows it off whenever he can. He's not stuck in that weird mentality of associating a great product with a political viewpoint.

I'm as liberal as they come and don't care if someone else wants to drive a pickup truck in a city center. I'm not stuck in that weird mentality of associating any product with a political viewpoint.

All that said, it's somewhat cognitive dissonance to treat the behavior described by the OP as being covered by a "bothsidesism" argument. It's undeniable that there is a correlation of someone's views on a particular topic to their political affiliation. Many people associate EVs with environmentalism, right or wrong.

Once Ford releases there battery F150 it will change.
My single biggest worry in America is guns so I would pick the safest superchargers not sites that have all types of ICE vehicles.
I'm centre right leaning and own both battery & ICE. The reason I purchased a Model 3 I like new technology, Tesla low price to purchase & running cost. the way the 3 drives. Not so much the green part as their are so many factors on how Earth works.

Last edited:
Reactions: ModelNforNerd
Well, I had my first experience of ridiculous Tesla hate after just a week of ownership. A man walked by a row of us supercharging at a gas station and held a middle finger up while staring us down. Whatever you imagine he looked like, you’re probably correct. The idiot jumped into his red Ram pickup and drove off. It was like a skit, it was all so...cliche?

anyway...I am so baffled by Tesla hate. Perhaps it’s fueled by Elon’s not so subtle personality...perhaps it’s fueled by jealousy ...but it mainly seems to be a ‘green is dumb. Fuel burns! F the planet, snowflakes!’

Threatened by change. Just the most fascinating human flaw.

Apologies if there are multiple threads on this but wondering what other people’s stories are :)

I have met people who hate Musk. I'm not personally a fan of his management style which may be great for an early startup, but seems to be a bit hectic for a more mature company. Still, no reason to hate his results.

I suppose some people just fell threatened by the incursion of EVs being as good as they are. Unfortunately ICE will continue to thrive as the price of fuel drops as people convert to EVs and less fuel is needed. We saw $4 a gal in the US (higher in California) because of a modest increase in usage which dropped to $2 a gal from less driving to work during the recession. That was not a huge drop in demand at all. Figure we will be seeing the same drop in demand in some 3, 4 or 5 years as EVs take off and fuel prices drop through the floor. Then all the ICE owners will be loving their lower cost of operation, likely much less than an EV at that point.

• Love
Reactions: JordyJr12
My single biggest worry in America is guns so I would pick the safest superchargers not sites that have all types of ICE vehicles.
Will it? Those guys will call you "gay" if you drive a Toyota or Nissan truck gas/diesel truck even. I think that small chunk of troglodytes will always be that way. Fortunately, it's a small chunk.

Don't buy the international news hype. You are just as statistically likely to end up dead because of a traffic accident as you are a gun. Is it an ideal stat? No. We as a country should be better.

But people don't always change their driving habits due to THAT statistic. It's all in what the media wants you to be afraid of in 2019.

Will it? Those guys will call you "gay" if you drive a Toyota or Nissan truck gas/diesel truck even. I think that small chunk of troglodytes will always be that way. Fortunately, it's a small chunk.

It will. And Tesla's will too.

If they bought their truck for its usefulness, it will be hard to look at the towing power, space, etc of a Ford or a Tesla and NOT be impressed by it.

If you bought your truck as....."appendage enhancement", then you can just put another "Calvin peeing on _____" sticker in your window.

It will. And Tesla's will too.

If they bought their truck for its usefulness, it will be hard to look at the towing power, space, etc of a Ford or a Tesla and NOT be impressed by it.

If you bought your truck as....."appendage enhancement", then you can just put another "Calvin peeing on _____" sticker in your window.
I'm hopeful that once the real users start using them to tow etc. that the folks who just want to look tough will come around. I think that's how products generally spread through society. First you have the hard core users who realize the value, then the "posers" (that sounds harsh but I'm struggling for a better word) see the real users and want to mimic them.

Don't buy the international news hype. You are just as statistically likely to end up dead because of a traffic accident as you are a gun. Is it an ideal stat? No. We as a country should be better.

But people don't always change their driving habits due to THAT statistic. It's all in what the media wants you to be afraid of in 2019.
Far more likely to die from a car accident. Just another reason to own a Tesla. ;)

Reactions: ModelNforNerd
Haven't had any trouble in Oregon. Actually, it's been interesting because several people have wanted to talk about my Model 3 and driving EV's in general (charging, range, etc...) I think I might have sold a guy at the gym on a Model 3. He's trying to get rid of his current car so he can buy one.
I live in Oregon as well. I had a pickup following me down German Town Rd with 3 cars in front of me. He almost rammed from behind for no apparent reason! He actually hit the curb; curb rashing his wheels going up to the St Johns bridge to avoid me. The wierd part is he was accelerating coming up behind me. totally freaked me out!

I was working in my yard when a pickup drove by and the passenger yelled out the window "F... your Prius!" (my wife drives a Prius).It's a nice neighborhood, too... he must have been cutting through. Wonder what he would have yelled if he saw the Tesla that was parked inside the garage.