Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla hate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see this big black Chevy pickup with giant mudtires on a regular basis (lives close by me). Today, on the way to work I passed by him, as I was passing by him, going the opposite way, this guy goes out of his way to stick his arm out the window and shoot me the bird. Since I'm pretty sure I have never done anything to this person, my first assumption is it's because I'm driving one them "electric things". I must be a raging hippie, one them liberal environmentalist......

If it was a random encounter I wouldn't think much of it, but since I will be seeing this individual on a semi-regular basis (at least passing by him) I am a bit concerned. Who knows what's going through this kids mind. Unfortunately this has prompted me to start carrying my firearm for protection.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing? If so did you feel threatened?

Yes. No. Not to profile (although I guess I must) but these behaviors are rather common amongst those driving such vehicles - which in many cases they are driving in attempt to express their views, which are often counter what they perceive as the views of EV owners. Extremely close-minded, annoying and rude? Yes. A threat? No, as insecurity is the driver of many such behaviors and is usually associated with avoidance of direct conflict.

There was a long discussion in the threads several months back about a similar issue, and in the end, just talking it out with the guy was deemed the best practice. I had similar issues from friends deep in the red white and blue coal yards of WV who initially gave me grief, but then after just some information about it being an american car, decreasing dependence on foreign oil, decreased emisssions, etc, they quickly realized how ridiculous their stance was. It is just unfortunate how often emotion trumps logic in real life.

The F Word (Season 13, Episode 12) - Full Episode Player - South Park Studios

Maybe recently he was behind you & your brakes lights were constantly coming on when you were simply easing off the pedal & he got pissed, if I have an aggressive driver behind me I just move over & let them pass...too many nut jobs out there.

Carrying a firearm might be an over reaction, flipping the bird is pretty common in Los Angeles.

Are you sure it wasn't the thumbs up that most of us get?

Somewhat related...

A couple months ago I saw a jacked-up Dodge diesel pickup that had dual big-rig exhaust stacks coming up through the bed. On the back window were some arrows pointing to the exhaust stacks and a message saying "Prius Repellent"...

It was pathetic and funny at the same time...

If you drive anything that isn't either a big truck or a plain econobox, there will be those who assuage their insecurity by venting on you for your choice of vehicle.

Next time just stick your head out and yell, "I know, right? My truck's in the shop and this is all they had to loan me." Or buy a bumper sticker that says, 'My other vehicle is a pickup' or some such. Maybe just put a gun rack in your S? :smile: In the end, it's not like he's got anything that can catch you. :wink:

Yes, that and those black Ford pick-up as well. I had that experience when I was driving my Honda Insight for 13 years. Nothing tells me better about a man than the car he drives. Their goal is to look for confrontation & start a fighting (as least verbally) session. I stayed clear of their way.

This past summer I pulled up behind a guy in a well-loved Subaru, with a mountain bike mounted on his roof rack. We were stopped at a traffic light in the left turn lane. When the light changed we made a leisurely left turn on the green arrow onto a rural, two-lane blacktop. After we cleared the intersection and the center line changed from solid to dashed, I made a legal pass without ever exceeding the speed limit: this was on a straight stretch of road with good sight lines and no other traffic. He stuck his left arm out the window and flipped me the bird before I even got close to his rear bumper.

After re-running the mental video a few times I decided he was having a bad day; no other explanation presented itself.

Throw out a 'hang loose' if you have time, might catch him off guard :wink:
that is what I've come to do now since I have no clue what many people are thinking when they are looking at the car, jealousy? no clue what it is? happy to see EV's? think it is an amazing car.. just seems to work for most situations.

Jealousy is a terrible thing…
It could be jealousy. But as others have speculated, I think the main factor would be misinformed and thus misguided. And rude of course. That perhaps combined with immature and various insecurities. And who knows, maybe anabolic steroid substance abuse, erectile dysfunction, the premature problem and/or feeling like he’s somewhat lacking ‘volume wise’ in the ‘reproductive organ department’…

Last edited:
Usually drivers of Euro cars for me. Especially BMW's. I don't think they like having an American car best them! I get it from Prius drivers too. I think they are just jealous.

Maybe because my other car is a slightly lifted Chevy 4x4 that I have had for 20 years, love to death and is absolutely reliable.