Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Hates Nevada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, maybe not, but there is a BIG hole in the middle of the state preventing travel without a huge detour.

I normally travel across the state of Nevada 2 times each year. From Arizona we pass through Las Vegas heading due north on Hwy 93 on our way to the Bitterroot Valley of Montana. From Las Vegas, the next charger on the route is in Twin falls Idaho, a distance of 494 miles. Can't make it in my 2019 X- LR.

It's not just the N-S route that has been neglected, traveling E-W on Hwy 50 is also not possible in a Tesla. From Nephi, UT to Reno, NV is 525 miles.

The town of Ely nicely intersects 93 and 50 and is the perfect location for a Supercharger.

Does anyone know how to request a Supercharger be located in Ely, NV? I have been to this page Supercharger | Tesla but don't see where I can enter a request.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 2.00.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 2.00.05 PM.png
    713.6 KB · Views: 240
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 2.00.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 2.00.51 PM.png
    279.4 KB · Views: 146
1690 Great Basin Blvd
Ely, NV 89301

775-289-8226

Could try calling. I get an error when I attempt to submit this location. I've been trying for a couple of years, but Tesla's site submission form never works for me. I just use the Google location page for the website field.

Google Maps

1690 Great Basin Blvd
Ely, NV 89301

775-289-8226

Could try calling. I get an error when I attempt to submit this location. I've been trying for a couple of years, but Tesla's site submission form never works for me. I just use the Google location page for the website field.

Google Maps

Great work! I think Tesla should have a form for a location in city or town and let them do the research.

Reactions: SSonnentag
To use Hwy 50 from California, there would need to be at least one charging station on the way to Ely.
Accoring to PlugShare, Ely, NV has a CHAdeMO and CCS (hopefully we will get an adapter solution).
https://v.maga.host/WJzJSWe.mp4

Oh, I did not think about that. Wow, it's 320 miles. If they put one in Fallon it is still 250 miles. Hwy 50 is such a great road trip compared to the interstate.

I can think of a lot more pressing routes needing attention tbh. More than anything Tesla needs to release a reasonably priced CCS adapter, as there are routes that will never have the traffic volume or electrical infrastructure to justify anything other than a 1 or 2 plug 50kW station.

I'll take 50kW in a New York minute because it means I can travel that route.

If it is a casual trip you might look into staying overnight in an RV park. I note there are a couple on the route. Model 3 comes with the adapter required to plug into the 240 VAC outlet they provide at most RV parks. Wouldn't work for me since I only have the old mid-range, but you might be able to get enough charge in just a few hours to make the next supercharger. In the one RV park I tried they charged $5 for just day use - which gave me access to the pool and laundry as well. That will vary for every park however so I'd call first to make sure.

Agree that Ely would be a great place for a Supercharger.

Cool little town that is the take off location for the fantastic Silver State Challenge. Would allow Teslas to compete in that 90 mile unlimited speed open highway event.

Used to do that run with my Viper. Most fun EVER!. Ran in the 165 MPH average speed class. Great fun running at speed through the twisties in the Narrows.